Dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided on a 7 x 16 cargo trailer. It will work great for sleeping, kitchen, a small shower and composting toilet, and a place for the dogs to sleep. I can haul the portable kennel right down the middle isle way.

Taking a trial run with the Huskies on a trip. Very well behaved. It was hard to find a hotel that accepted two dogs but found one that accepted them for free.

When I need a somewhat inexpensive hotel for me and my Lucy, La Quinta is the default. Never any extra charges for the dog.
Ted

I have ordered a 5 x 8 cargo trailer. It is for my pit bull mix while I am working. He is getting more aggressive the older {6 yrs.} he gets. I keep control of him but if he does get to run free he wears a good quality muzzle he can eat and drink in. I am committed to giving him the best life possible but will never own any aggressive breed mix again. I have socialized him with people and animals yet he is still aggressive towards other dogs. I guess it is just in his genes. I have volunteered at the local animal control where so many pit bull mixes are euthanized daily so I am just hoping he does not get loose and hurt somebody's dog. I will be devastated when he is gone because he is one loyal companion.

How will you keep the cargo trailer cool and ventilated?

With the cooler weather here, my dogs are romping more than ever. They are enjoying it tremendously. Thanks Ella for the link to the pest control. I am all about using natural ingredients on pets.

Suezq said:
How will you keep the cargo trailer cool and ventilated?

I will be a snowbird and eventually put enough solar for an AC unit.  I have a few months before that is an issue.

It’s been a little while since the last post. The winter has been brutal these last months. My dogs are loving it though. Built a dog sled and the girls, (Huskies) have been taking me for a ride, literally. We’re  all getting anxious to go on a road trip. Been busy converting truck bed into liveable space. The dogs love it and are comfortable when riding. We would like to meet up with the caravans in the spring.

Dingfelder said:
Huskies can be aggressive, even if you don't think they're aggressive toward you personally.  You'll definitely need to keep tight hold of them around other nomads.

I agree that 8x10 kennel sounds very hard to maneuver for the average person -- probably pretty heavy as well?  

I wonder if you'd be better served by tying them to a tie-out, or roping a tree and then attaching a leash to that.  I'd still try to keep them in my eyeline even if that worked, partly so they don't themselves get hurt -- or even stolen -- while outside.
Huskies are in no way aggressive towards people, perhaps you are confusing them with another breed? Take your dogs and let them enjoy life as you do.

The BLM does have some regulations regarding erecting dog fencing. You would need to check with them regarding the specific types of structure they would allow you to have.

This last week on TV there was a short feature film on the Seattle KCTS public television channel. It was about the NW Sled Dog club and their sister club from Mexico. They invited the Mexican club to come up and play in the snow with them. It was a fun film to watch and it did show the team from Mexico using their sleds on wheels in the dirt in Mexico. Lot of different breeds of dogs on the Mexico teams include a few Huskies.

One year back in the early 1970's while living in Anchorage I sewed over 100 sets of sled dog booties for Norman Vaughan who had moved to Anchorage to compete in the Iditarod. That was his first year competing in the race and he went on to complete many times after that. He was born in 1905 and was the sled dog musher for Admiral Bryrd's first expedition to Antartica. That certainly would be one of the world's best pinnacle experiences that could have been had by a musher! But he also took Pope John Paul II for a dog sled ride! The Wiki article on his life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_D._Vaughan
A 7 minute documentary on Norman including a live interview. Posted from youtube

Thanks for sharing the story of Colonial Vaughan. What an amazing man! The love for adventure will keep us all young.

For living in an rv, I don't recommend having too big dogs only if you are always on the go since these dogs are too hyper and required a running playground. If you are always on a camp then it would be a good idea to get a big one not just for a companion but also for protection

I harness my German Shepherd and use a heavy duty, 25 foot or 50 foot tie out that connects to the door of the vehicle. You can D ring it to any metal hook that might be on your doors or loop it around the bottom of a seat. Much lighter and easier to manage than a kennel. The important thing with huskies is to get them harnesses that they can't escape from, check YouTube and google for those. Huskies as well as breeds like Malamutes, German Shepherds, any herding/working dog need LOTS of exercise, so as long as you tire them out before bed time they make wonderful travel companions. Chew and puzzle toys are a MUST to keep them busy on rainy/bad weather days and for your trips into the store/laundromat/etc. Just my two cents  :D

Dogs in Quartzsite.

My dog started coughing a few days ago. $760 or thereabouts later at the vet and nothing was conclusive. She is on antibiotics and a fungal medication.

Parvo was brought up as the vet said they always test for that as it’s so prevalent in the area. My dog has had all her vaccines so that wasn’t an issue. They tested her for Valley Fever but I understand it isn’t likely after all the rain. I will be getting test results in a couple of weeks.

Another thing mentioned was kennel cough but she has been vaccinated for that as well. I called her regular vet and was told that there are various strains of kennel cough and it could still be that.

My sis was here visiting and left and a couple of days after mine started coughing hers did also.

Neither dog is a digger so do get that much dust although I do take mine out on the side by side. I go way out of the way to avoid dust. Only other thing both dogs have in common is they’ve both been to the dog park. I never ask if shots are all up to date there but probably not.

Except for rabies you can go to just about any farm store or pet store and buy vaccines. It might cost you about ten bucks for the shot and you can administer them yourselves. If you don’t know how I’m sure there are a million videos out there of if you are in Q I could help you as I’ve been giving shots forever.

This is just a note to be aware there is some sickness going on in the area. When I get the results of my valley fever test I’ll post it.

Might want to make sure your dogs are vaccinated.

undauntednomad said:
I harness my German Shepherd and use a heavy duty, 25 foot or 50 foot tie out that connects to the door of the vehicle. You can D ring it to any metal hook that might be on your doors or loop it around...
When I put my German Shepherd on one of those tie outs, he would run in circles around my feet until I fell over and was caught, then lick my face. He did better on a long lead while I was cleaning camps, then stayed in the truck for a couple hours in the evening while I did meet and greet, at the request of the company (I was camp hosting).
-crofter