Dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suezq

Reaction score
:-/ :p I am 65 years old and would like to get into the nomadic lifestyle. I have two husky dogs. Any suggestions if this is a good idea with these type of dogs. Are portable kennels 8 x 10 with cover allowed to be set up when boondocking?

I know huskies have Houdini like tendencies. 8x10 kennels are not going to be very mobile.
Consider that you may be more active and your dogs will feel less like running.

I followed a blog with 6 huskies in an RV, although they weren't full timers. They stake the dogs out in the same manner as mushers.

https://thethunderingherd.com/2016/05/13/hanging-campsite/

Huskies can be aggressive, even if you don't think they're aggressive toward you personally. You'll definitely need to keep tight hold of them around other nomads.

I agree that 8x10 kennel sounds very hard to maneuver for the average person -- probably pretty heavy as well?

I wonder if you'd be better served by tying them to a tie-out, or roping a tree and then attaching a leash to that. I'd still try to keep them in my eyeline even if that worked, partly so they don't themselves get hurt -- or even stolen -- while outside.

it would really depend on your boondocking site.
but yes, mostly you can set up a kennel on your site, I don't see why not.

These dogs can jump high. Yet, they need the freedom to be mobile. That is why a high kennel is needed. I was thinking of pulling a cargo trailer.

yea active younger animals want that movement and have to use up their energy. A lot of dog walking and letting them run when ya can might help that. The freedom to be mobile can come from you exercising them in good form. It is hard to contain active energy in a pet tho so maybe chaining them out is easiest and not needing that high 6 ft kennel...those panels are a pain and a lot to carry. Have you just thought of chaining out? might be the easiest solution??? Of course you know these dogs and you know what will work and won't work but you can always experiment on what is the best pattern to their day and what works easiest for all of you. just curious on that if ya can chain and they are cool with just that.

These dogs don’t like being chained. They tangle themselves, knock over the water dish. They always had a kennel.    I am active with my dogs, taking them for walks and runs with a scooter.

it is great you are active with them and that helps a lot on their using up that big energy they have :) :)

have you thought of the chaining up on a 'lead line' from tree to tree' type deal where they can run between the top line while chained?? That could be another option?

but if chaining ain't gonna work then yea you must just bring the kennel. again it will be all about the spot you choose to boondock regarding space to do it, allowable by some 'parks' etc requirements and more. You could 'kennel' around your van or RV or car, whatever you are using as home base and that way the dogs can go in and out or under the rv etc. for shade and more. Kinda like when we went horse riding in the mountains, we would take horse panels along and would put up a small corral around the horse trailer and they would be free to move easily, go in and out of the trailer as wanted and it worked fine for us, this type of situation. Just a thought :p

when you find your stop spot, if anyone is around you can ask about a kennel etc. Best we can do on that, is ask and see if it all fits into our plans.

Thank you for all your good thoughts and ideas! :)

no problem for me to chat out ideas :) but you will find what works for you I am sure :)

Looks like a good system. How do you keep their water dish from getting knocked over?

I wonder if a simple shade tent wouldn't be adequate to hold them? It would serve double duty as something useful for you to be in, not just the dogs. And so much lighter, easier to pack into a small space, and perhaps easier to assemble/disassemble than a kennel.

I like your idea of a cargo trailer.  No setup or take down, no in-ground staking.
You could get inventive as to how you would position the dogs.  I assume they are with you most of the time?
Tie one on each side if they don't mind being separated.  Allow enough chain so they can reach into the trailer for water.  Use a water system that can be attached to a wall.. no spilling. This should give them shade by going under the unit. How to keep them from going all the way through, I dunno.
Harness is much safer than collars.
Having a tagalong would also give you extra storage.. dog food, lawn chairs, barbecue.  You'd probably need a cabinet to keep the dogs from accessing your storage.

These are all such wonderful suggestions. My carpentry skills are good, so I can build a water system attaching it to rig.

Since my dogs have long fluffy hair, how are the pesty desert insects that might take up residence in their coat?

My mother takes her dogs all over the U.S. in the back of her car, in pens. They have purpose-made small steel water buckets you clip to the side of a pen, anywhere you like. That should tame the water spill problem.

After reading posts about how dogs are uncomfortable on the terrain in Quartsite, I'm a bit concerned bout my girl. She will not wear booties. Also, I understand dogs are not welcome at supper groups - is that true...? I keep her on leash unless no one to hug is around. 

Also, I wonder, is there an area at QZ that the terrain is more favorable to sensitive paws...

I guess toting her pen would be good but it is xlarge. Do people stake their dogs out in the desert? Not knowing, it seems not good. I could be wrong. 

Latest posts