Do You Think The Govt. Will Eventually Try And Squeeze Out Boondocking Life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Morefun, I found an announcement from the Governor of Oregon, dated today 11 June 2020, which appears to override everything else. So, SOL sure outta luck.

https://ktvz.com/news/2020/06/11/oregon-reports-record-178-new-covid-19-cases-two-more-deaths/
"After a record 178 COVID-19 cases were reported in Oregon on Thursday and nearly 800 in the past week, Gov. Kate Brown announced late Thursday a one-week statewide pause in pending county reopening requests".

Darn, there goes my trip to Oregon. I think a lot of states will be looking at increased rates of covid cases, specifically I've heard about CA,TX,AZ,NC, and FL. Most people think reopening is a free for all.

NC state parks and federal lands are beginning to open. Don't know how long that will last though since we are beginning to see a spike.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Panda's latest video. About 5-min in shows the dirt access road. Looks to be in good shape, no obvious deep ruts. A good sign or else meaning no one goes in there in the winter or early spring. Visit to Grand Canyon with 6-7 others in the rig, lots of visitors everywhere, gift shop open, visit to packed restaurant in Grand Canyon Camper Village, and no one wearing masks. Full Commando Mode.

Almost There said:
....Sensibly it's to stop the travel that helps migrate the Covid-19 virus from one place to another.....

....Having no place to go doesn't work because everyone has to have a legal address that is supposed to be where you live.....
@Almost there

Point one: Your point that "RV TRAVEL SPREADS COVID 19" where is your proof of this? It was spread to the US at meetings, on cruise ships and airplanes, and in nursing homes. There are no hot spots involving RV travel. Guiness book of world records does not list any RV that was driven from US to China and back spreading disease. Origin remains bats in China, possibly earlier than we know, that was carried by people on planes and cruise ships who travelled from China to other continents.

Boondocking Solo RVers do still buy gas and groceries locally, but driving the RV and camping in it has not been shown to create interpersonal contacts which could spread illness.  Gas and groceries are considered essential services, and people who were camping at the start of all this, should be able to continue camping and not be forced to return to a city full of contagion. The tactic to survive so many things is to spread out. Not any different with covid 19.

Your second point "HAVING NO PLACE TO GO DOESN'T WORK."  That is so true, as many homeless people camped in the city streets can tell you. Boondockers have the remote public land to dwell in, as provided by the laws of this land. Again, you infer that staying in a crowded city homeless shelter, or stealth camping in a city riddled with contagion is the way to go? I don't agree. 
-crofter

There were close to 2000 new cases reported today here in Florida. In the beginning of the week it was closer to 1000 new cases per day. 1700 new cases yesterday. Yesterday's totals were the highest ever since the pandemic began. Until today of course. I'm feeling like an idiot for coming back here two weeks ago. I was planning on working for a few months and socking away some cash. I am absolutely rethinking that

Qxxx said:
Panda's latest video. About 5-min in shows the dirt access road. Looks to be in good shape, no obvious deep ruts. A good sign or else meaning no one goes in there in the winter or early spring. Visit to Grand Canyon with 6-7 others in the rig, lots of visitors everywhere, gift shop open, visit to packed restaurant in Grand Canyon Camper Village, and no one wearing masks. Full Commando Mode.

So, so sad that Panda and the others on this trip chose to expose each other and everyone around them. No masks, no social distancing.  GC and all national parks are international destinations. What a perfect place to catch or spread covid, Panda.
-crofter

I've posted this link a couple of times. If you go to the table and click on "yesterday" and "new cases", you'll see that the top-6 states account for 1/2 of the new cases, CA,TX,FL,AZ,NC, and GA. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The death rates per state vary, but other sites indicate about 80% [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]of deaths are among people over 60. Hmmmm, let's see, how old am I? Duh. Best avoid [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]getting it if at all possible. The upper mid [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]west is the best place to be right now. (I had been thinking of a trip to OR[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif], but that's gone to foo ri[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ght now).[/font]

Qxxx said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]...Best avoid [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]getting it if at all possible. The upper mid [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]west is the best place to be right now.....[/font]
@Qxxx

What is upper midwest? Right now I am dreaming of a local fare country buffet in small town Wisconsin. I'll make some hot dish and pretend I'm there. 

Seriously though, counting all my pennies and looking at parcels and RV lots. It's exhausting.
-crofter

Qxxx said:
....the top-6 states account for 1/2 of the new cases, CA,TX,FL,AZ,NC, and GA....
All in the South. Well this 100 degree plus heat did not cure anything. I am trying to sweat as much as possible, no sauna here but it seems to have the same effect. 

Regarding the RV spots, I have discovered that you can pay some bux for parking (annual space rent) and then be evicted after the sale due to the age of the rig you bought. 

Ppl are talking about a 10 acre minimum to dwell on the parcel in your RV (in Arizona). Many parcels being sold are 1 acre, and the sales agent is talking about the buyer camping there. Do you know which it is? One acre or ten acres?
-crofter

crofter said:
Ppl are talking about a 10 acre minimum to dwell on the parcel in your RV (in Arizona). Many parcels being sold are 1 acre, and the sales agent is talking about the buyer camping there. Do you know which it is? One acre or ten acres?
I don't know the answer to that question, but don't think I would trust anything told me by a salesman. $, $, $, ka ching. The 1-acre bit sounds bogus.

BTW, the NBC Nightly News lead off story tonight was an upsurge in covid cases in ... 14 ... different states. People might make a case that it's due to increased testing, but what you really want to see is like what's happening in NY state. Increased testing plus a dramatic drop in both number of cases and death rates. They're doing it right, brought it under control and keeping it there.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/new-york

Qxxx said:
I think the map for Arizona is in error. Shows places like Dateland as metro areas (in grey). 

I am down to eating instant milk as I am not wanting to be around all those people at the store. Once the eggs and sardines run out (two of my fave breakfast foods), then I will have to go shopping.-crofter

Qxxx said:
I don't know the answer to that question, but don't think I would trust anything told me by a salesman. $, $, $, ka ching. The 1-acre bit sounds bogus.

an upsurge in covid cases in ... 14 ... different states. People might make a case that it's due to increased testing, but what you really want to see is like what's happening in NY state. Increased testing plus a dramatic drop in both number of cases and death rates. They're doing it right, brought it under control and keeping it there.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/new-york
I think we are seeing fallout from gatherings around Memorial Day weekend, no masks or social distancing in so many of the pictures.
-crofter

I'll be selling my place in the Ozarks at the end of June.An instant homestead.All tools and implements go with the property.All solar power.17 acres 2 creeks.beautiful views.Possible owner finance with 40% down.

crofter said:
I think the map for Arizona is in error. Shows places like Dateland as metro areas (in grey). 

I am down to eating instant milk as I am not wanting to be around all those people at the store. Once the eggs and sardines run out (two of my fave breakfast foods), then I will have to go shopping.-crofter
The dailyyonder map is of "counties", and a quick check indicates Dateland is in Yuma cty.

Instant milk, eggs, and sardines, sounds like a great diet to me, LOL. Eating in the Time of Covid. I stocked up on a bunch of items using Walmart home delivery. Then I wipe everything down that comes inside the apt.

1shemp said:
I'll be selling my place in the Ozarks at the end of June.An instant homestead.All tools and implements go with the property.All solar power.17 acres 2 creeks.beautiful views.Possible owner finance with 40% down.
Sounds cool, planning to move to the west? You couldn't get me out of the west with dynamite.

Qxxx said:
The dailyyonder map is of "counties", and a quick check indicates Dateland is in Yuma cty.

Instant milk, eggs, and sardines, sounds like a great diet to me, LOL. Eating in the Time of Covid. I stocked up on a bunch of items using Walmart home delivery. Then I wipe everything down that comes inside the apt.
Mutation D614G reared it's ugly head in January infecting Europe and the US. 10 times more infectious. Here is the article.
-crofter
Description: link to article.
Mutation could make coronavirus more infectious, study suggests

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/health/coronavirus-mutations-scripps-gene/index.html

Dateland... is on the county line in the middle of nowhere. Yet yonder map it shows metro all the way across southern AZ. I will have to get on the road and drive the I-8 and see what is out there. Used to be nothing was out there, except Dateland. -c

I don't know their criterion is for what constitutes "metro", but the point was to see that the upper midwest is mostly low rates (blues and yellow) - outside of the cities. YMMV.