Do you feel less stable in a hightop van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchanRV

Reaction score
i think I would really benefit from being able to stand up in a van, which is why I'm looking options like a hightop Ford Transit for a basic, no-frills build. My main concern withthis idea involves the effects of strong winds and other forces on the taller profile. How legit is this concern?

zero, great to be able to stand without bending over all the time. Hitop was the must have when we upgraded, also white to deal with the Fl. sun.

This morning the wind is blowing at 15 mph..............I have 300 sq ft of shade cloth awning...........

If this van's Rocking.....Don't bother Knocking

Do not drive on days with a very strong crosswind. Good advice for anyone as even if in a low vehicle you are likely to have others in tall vehicles on the road with you. As to rocking in camp in high winds during storms face nose into the wind. Plus you can travel with extra adjustable Jack stands. Those can be deployed under your vehicle to reduce the bouncy castle effect of having all the suspension depending on those rubber tires.

Even in my low profile, small travel trailer that has a Jack at the hitch and two stabilizer jacks in the rear, and a car I can move to act as a wind break,I really found I needed even more stabilization in a 65mph gust last winter while camping near Yuma when the atmospheric river wind storms arrived. So I purchased two adjustable Jack stands to put under the frame. That did the trick and stopped the rocking and bouncing by taking the load somewhat off the rubber tires which were allowing too much movement. A firm foundation was required for getting sleep in that series of several day long storms. Unfortunately there will be a repeat of those wind storms this coming winter but at least I still have those extra jacks ready to deploy.

I just bought a high top in August and returned from a 4,000 mile trip to Maine. I didn't experience any issues with wind. Granted, when a semi passes or you are directly behind a semi you do feel the wind but at no time did I feel afraid it would over turn or loose control.

I have a white 90 Ford E 350 extended with high top. When standing in it I still have about three inches of head room. I had a regular van before an being bent over all the time had me moving around on my knees which was OK when I was much younger. Today I wouldn't think of that and none of us are getting any younger.

My first van was red and it could feel like an oven at times. The combination of high top and white work well together I've learned.
I installed tilt out rear windows and when driving I don't need the A/C nearly as much.

I'm with Tony on having issues with Semi's. If I get too close behind one I get the wobbles. But beyond that, it may be important to take into consideration the part of the country you are living & operating in. I once owned a Honda Accord and traveled to Denver Co on a high wind day and saw Semi's laying on their sides for hundreds of miles. If I found myself in that situation I'd get off the road and to a town with buildings I could park near to serve as wind breaks. I also pay attention to weather forecast and keep my eyes on the sky as the clouds will give a hint as to any windy conditions to come.

If you have no choice but to drive in severe wind. Go slowly, real slow makes a pretty big difference. I was on the top of a pretty big hill. A horse float had toppled and the fireservice were there. Pretty sad. Went slowly, crawlling speed and made it. 6m Isuzu Bus. I know it sounds a bit know-it-all but many times I think people drive too fast in high winds. In severe winds your driving speed is added to the wind speed in many cases even if it isn't directly side on.

I test drove a (super?) high top what might be called a minivan e2000 sold by Mazda or Ford here. Rentals from the 80s and 90s. Really topheavy with all the shower stuff and cupboards. Felt unsafe. Something like that would be hell in high winds.

I have an E-350 ambo & no problem. The worst I had was I used to cross the Mackinac Bridge (5 miles long) when they never closed it. I got there, asked if I could cross, They said "you want to cross? I said yes. So they they followed me in a plow truck to mark the spot I guess. I was in a Dodge/Mitsi 4x4 & the driver side lifted up a foot or so. A 12 hour trip took 24. Later a Yugo blew off & I watched the dive tape on that one. Later a pickup pulling a camper blew 1/2 off but hung on the rail. Now they close it now & then. On a side note I flew under the bridge in a 1940 Taylorcraft. I had fueled at Boyne City which is in a bowl, we were loaded so heavy it took 3 rounds to get out of the bowl so we'd never be safe enough to go over so we did the safe thing & went under.

If you're asking whether vans feel crosswinds more than cars. The answer is unequivocally yes. Vans have a broad surface area for winds to hit against. My van feels a lot less planted than the full size SUVs I've owned. But what's the alturnative? The Chevy Suburban is massive, but I wouldn't want to live out of it.

With regard to your concern, less tall is better if it doesn't sacrifice livability. Some folks can stand upright in a Promaster low roof, if you're under 5'8 you can probably make that work by ducking your head a little. It will certainly handle crosswinds better than its taller sibling. The Transit comes in a mid roof that would probably work for those under 6'. The highest interior standing room relative to external height is the high roof Promaster. The tallest vans are the high roof Transit and Sprinter 4/AWD, which is more than 2' taller the low roof Promaster. A discernible difference when driving, and also when living. Which is more important?

https://sportsmobile.com/van-dimensions/

I'm 5'11" (last I checked,), so I guess I would feel comfortable in a Transit mid-top or high-top. The mid-tops do have that squatter, stouter body that makes them look a little more "grounded." I should check out both options. I've spent weeks at a time living out of an old Expedition, and all I could do in that thing was lie down....

the effects of strong winds and other forces

The bigger it is the more wind will effect it. There are suspension modifications that can help reduce the effect of road irregularities, semi-blast and crosswinds, bu of course that all costs $$$. One you get into a box truck or similar sized rig, it will be something you will have to learn to adjust to ... I have a class A and knew this was going to be an issue, but for me, in this rig, it isn't that bad.... but that is me.

Have you driven any larger vehicles before?

Driving in high winds can be begging for trouble. If you're living in a van, what's the hurry if you wait a day or two?

Some people think their standard height van won't be a problem. Well, what do you think could happen if you're in the right lane, and an empty semi is passing you when it gets hit by a hard blast from his left?

Our RV is about 11' high and heavy at 14,000 pounds. We do keep all of the heavy things at floor level so it's very stable. A strong, sudden gust may cause the RV to move a little but most of the time wind does not affect the stability at all. We are cautious though and don't travel if winds are high enough for warnings to go out to the big rig drivers.

I think each type of vehicle will be affected differently. Try to go on a test drive on a windy day with the van you are considering buying. When we were looking at RVs we test drove a small Toyota RV and decided not to buy it because of how much the wind blew it around.

As mentioned above, use best driving practices. If it's too windy for a big rig, just wait out the wind.

Pull over and plant the nose into the wind so it'll move around you like designed to on the road.

Watch the weather, check upcoming wind conditions before you travel. If you absolutely have to travel in the wind, go slow, take your time. As always, it's better to get there than get halfway there fast before having a problem.

Unless you're planning on driving in a wind tunnel constantly, I don't see it being much of a real issue. What areas were you planning on frequenting? There are many many travelers here that know most of the roads in this country and can tell your what to expect.

You got this. And everyone here is ready to help. Get the van that makes the most sense overall for your situation.

I want to hear from someone living in a box truck and RV...keep weight at the floor of the vehicle? Water tanks, fuel, batteries.
a)
How about below the floor?
2003, we engineered our ExpeditionVehicle with the center-of-gravity low and -- equally important -- centered between the axles;
* our battery bank is between the frame rails
* our fuel is mostly below the frames
* our water kegs are modular and moveable
* our rear axle weighs probably about a ton (#2,000 me too), then add four massive semi-truck tires and wheels... this low-down poundage ('#age'!) in that one area is getting close to the entire GVWR of some midgetized sedans.
Yup.
With our 29,000# GVWR, our axles are semi-truck approved, so our rig's width is just about equal to a semi-trailer or semi-tractor 'prime-mover'.
Based on our experience, we think width adds stability.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110.
b)
We tend toward the travel philosophy of:
* no rush.
For comparison, on IRV2, the big RecreateVehicle forum for the straights, we read threads such as:
* "Our diesel-pusher is 45' and thirty-ton and we drive 85mph, but our 6.32mpg is so disappointing!"
Apparently, they are in a hurry to check-in at the us$300-a-night resort so they can join the shuffleboard tournament and canasta marathon.
Priorities.
(We also see -- apparently legit -- IRV2 threads about sources for a new remote-control for the electric-fireplace slash wine-chiller built into the entertainment-center because both the original plus the Amazon™ replacement went TU during the first trip.
We try to not laugh, but criminy, the naivety of straights boggles the FeralFringer mind...)
(Full Disclosure:
We read IRV2 strictly for the chuckles.
That, plus the tremendous sense of superiority it gives us.
Probably equal between an appalled 'watching the train-wreck' and the laughs.)
(Full Disclosure:
* I always go with the laughs.)
Where was I heading with this.
Oh, right, those uncomfortable 'breezy' days.
Sorry.
I sometimes get blown off-track by my 'admiration' of civilization...
Silly me!
A couple-three years ago, we were heading north on Interstate Five from Redding California toward Oregon.
Winds were gusty 30-50, out of the Arctic.
On our nose.
Full-throttle, we could barely maintain 30mph... as we watched the fuel gauge spin toward the dreaded 'E' at the speed of sound.
Well, 'poo' on that!
We pulled into the rest-stop at the Weed airfield just north of the booming metropolis of Weed, California.
Some interesting history:
Apparently, Weed was settled by a Mister Homer Weed back in the olden days.
And apparently, Homer had a fondness for a good stiff breeze because of his kite-flying hobby.
I made-up that last part.
For all I know, Homer hated the wind, and anytime there was a wind, he stayed in bed with the covers pulled over his head.
Segway...
We fixed an early supper, walked the dogs -- mostly semi-vertical, with bouts of horizontal -- then snuggled [not 'smuggled'!, my beloved government over-seers, because you guys are my heroes!] in with a good book.
And all that evening, Gaia gently rocked us in a peaceful snooze.
As good as it gets.
[edited to add]
c)
I am naming all my children 'FeralFringer'.
True fact...

Last edited:
a)
Department Of Corrections, White-Out, And Erasers:
* Apparently, I mixed-up town-founder 'Abner Weed' with his nomadic brother, Homer.
Apparently, Homer, as a FeralFringer, never 'amounted to much' according to disdainful Weed neighbors of the Weed boys growing up.
Reached for comment, always the 'quiet one in class', Homer raised his head gallantly in the north wind, then merely shook his robust mane of hair in a manner quite fitting for such an independent soul.
In other front-page news from the Weed Thrice-Annual Gazette:
* Apparently, the entire population of Weed get their water from one source, a nearby mountain spring.
And apparently, an evil European billionaire named 'Pierre' -- I am not making this up -- an evil billionaire named 'Pierre' sued Weed (the town) so he could ship all their (Weed people) water to his evil European friends.
For their schmancy European gardens, probably.
Makes me want to hork.
Leaving the entire population of Weed to perish from thirst.
The nerve of those European billionaires!
Just frosts me.
Reminds me of that other European billionaire and his "eat ze bugs, live in ze pods, be hoppy".
A certain easy-going congenial nomad named Homer might have something to say about that nincompoopery.
Bet on it!
I can just imagine the quiet member of the family, finally reaching his final line-in-the-sand:
* "You be hoppy!, you stereotype megalomaniac Central Casting villain!, and your mother dresses you funny!"
This's just MyOpinion®, but maybe Weed (the town) should re-think their town motto:
* "Weed Like To Welcome You!".
Maybe change it to:
* 'Weed like European billionaires to mind their own stupit business'.
Something like that.
b)
Weight and width for the windy van 'win'!

Last edited:
... a hightop...no-frills build. My main concern withthis idea involves the effects of strong winds and other forces on the taller profile. How legit is this concern?
Last post.
Promise.
re -- other forces
We boondock exclusively.
Our preferred camps tend to be way back in the woods.
Often, the roads in are poorly maintained, rutted and pot-holed and off-camber.
And often, branches and entire trees obstruct the route.
Harsh our mellow much?
Can you imagine a trail tilting toward a tree or boulder.
Can you imagine our former vertical height is now a semi-horizontal 'width'.
Can you imagine the potential for damage to that boulder or injury to that tree.
A short 'crouching' van height has better clearance than an ExpeditionVehicle with room for jumping jacks and jogging... and stacked 'recreational' boudoir activities.
[edited to add]
And the roads out are usually about the same condition...