What do you think about DOGGIE DAY CARE?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Hi,

I been struggling on how I can transition to van life while having a small dog & I been thinking about using a Doggie Day Care service OR working overnight's and just leaving her in the minivan overnight while I'm at work.  I much prefer the first option however eventually working overnights are likely the best option, however I'm just not that experienced enough to feel comfortable leaving her in there overnight and knowing she be safe and OK.

As a result I been looking more and more at doggie day cares that typically cost 250-350 a month. as that tends to be significantly less expensive than a cheapest apartment around 600-800 a month around the Spokane WA area.  I'm currently living in Minnesota but I'm ready to head out west this winter and try something different.

Has anyone had any experience with doggie day care?  Cause it sounds like it might be a great option given my situation.  Even though I went to college I'm having a extremely hard time developing skills to get a good paying job so likely I'd be just making min. wage witch is almost 14 an hour statewide.  I just want to take back my life again and feel like I can have some joy again, instead of seeing all my money going towards rent and bills.

I don't think I'd want to try to find anyone on craigslist cause it's scary to think I'd trust my baby with a stranger that isn't a professional business.  Does anybody else struggle or have struggled with this issue.  I heard those Toyota prius hybrids are able to work automatically using the electric motor and gas motor cycling on and off very efficiently to keep the temperature constant which seems like THAT's the million dollar answer!!! Toyota Sienna 2021 model is going to have a Hybrid model that I think would simply answer my own question again!  :)   ...Except I already just paid off my 2006 Honda Odyssey and I'm not budget wise ready to upgrade just yet.  Maybe in a few years if I can find a way to save MOST of that money from rent to invest in a new home on wheels.  Even if I got to have payments, it's be a great investment!  A climate controlled home on wheels that I would eventually own for under 40,000.   :heart:   

I'm getting way ahead of myself,  the designed model is not yet proven and the daily cost for fuel not yet determined but...  I'm trying to figure this all out..

I don't want a massive RV that is easily able to be insulated and able to be climate controlled cause I just don't want all that massive space.  Granted I'm still trying to pair down everything I own but I really really really want to get to the point where just about everything I own fits comfortably inside my minivan.  And I want to be able to work a job that pays decent and is simple.  Like overnight hotel audit, or overnight stocking or daytime cashier (likely holding off on more people contact jobs until after covid) with my dog...

Maybe there is some type of "device" that I could hook up to my minivan to look like the prius to keep the temperature constant?  My van does have a safety feature that prevents locking the doors while the key is and it's running (I have 2 & 1/2 sets of keys) Could I easily put a low sound small generator to run all night while I'm at work to keep the van warm?  Perhaps?

I'm designing everything around the comfort of my dog, the location I decide to work at I want to make sure it cooler and colder than most places as dealing with cold isn't as difficult as dealing with hot.  (cold being 45-60F)  Plus with overnight there is not sun which so If im working overnight that seems by far the best option.  Just need a place that is still cool in the daytime so I can sleep comfortable too :)

I have thought about this countless days, hours and moments... And I have been running into roadblock after roadblock.  If anyone has any advice or tips that would be much appreciated.  I don't think I'm in the market to switch to a Toyota Hybrid just yet, but if that seems to be the only answer I might get there much faster, than I had expected.  I know I'm a worry wart, but my little baby is the most valuable thing I have ever owned/had in my life so I definitely don't want to end a long day at work only to realize that it was to hot, and I would have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life.  :( 

Very long post I know but this is a very big topic and my head only seems to only come up with more questions than answers.  Surly sombody else has the same struggle I'm having right?

When i was researching ways to keep my dog cool when I had to travel in summer, there were quite a few RV people that had various devices that gave them both real time access to the temp in their RV, or had an alert that would contact you by text or whatever if the temp went over a certain target. I dont recall what those cost, but it may be an option, or a backup to whatever you choose. I keep meaning to get something like that, but in my normal use, I dont have to leave the dog very long. Buying groceries being about the longest time, but Id still like the warning capability.

I ended up using a window AC unit powered by a small Honda generator housed in a home made cargo box on a hitch mounted cargo rack. Its worked very well and Im very satisfied with it. I acquired a "hard start capacitor" for about $12, it plugs into the existing capacitor on the AC and reduces the power draw to start the compressor, and allows the gen to run on eco mode, using less fuel and making less noise. Theres numerous tutorials on how that all works on youtube and various places. i have pics here if you want to see how it worked out.

So far Ive run the AC up to about 3 hours in testing it, its fine. i always top off the fuel when Ive run it previously. I keep a couple 1 gal gas cans in the cargo box, and fill generator and cans when needed at the gas station. From what Ive read online, in non-eco mode, you can expect maybe 3-4 hours of run time, with eco mode on, it can be 6-7-8ish hours. I dont have an hour meter, (cheap and easy to install) which I plan to install, but in guessing, mine has run about 6+ hours before running out of gas. thats completely guessing from the times ive had it running.

You can’t leave a dog in a car all day even if it’s cool. Where will they go to the bathroom if it’s a small car. Do they know how to use pads? Do NOT hire anyone off CL. The most safe professional daycare I know is Petco but it’s expensive. If you have an RV and it’s not hot then you can use your dinner hour to run back and let the dog out. A hard situation if you’re still working. Even in an apartment how do you let the dog pout to urinate?

I have used a doggie day care a couple of days a week, just for socialization and exercise for my dog in her younger days, and it was a good place full of people who loved dogs and treated them well.

We visited before she stayed for a day, they showed me the set up inside and out, how they introduced new dogs, etc.

As with a child, if your dog is not happy there and well treated you will know it.

I definitely would not leave your dog alone all day or all night in a car. There’s heat and safety issues, and people who may be concerned enough about your dog to call the police.

If you work at night and need to sleep during the day, your dog will essentially be alone most of the time, and that’s not good, either.

My two cents.

Good luck.

urbankid12 said:
Hi,

I been struggling on how I can transition to van life while having a small dog & I been thinking about using a Doggie Day Care service OR working overnight's and just leaving her in the minivan overnight while I'm at work.

Has anyone had any experience with doggie day care? . . .

My 2¢.

Your best option would be to find a job where your dog can be with you (even if it is in its kennel in the break room).
Another option would be to get a job with access to shore power so you can run an air conditioner.  
IMO running an unattended generator is iffy.

Most veterinarian offices have business cards daycare/kenneling businesses they recommend.

You will want a remote temperature sensor if you leave your dog in your car; possibly even a remote 'dog cam' to be able to monitor from your phone.

I have thought about this a lot and decided I would budget for daycare. They usually have packages at reduced rates. Many are also looking for workers, so they may offer employee discount or work out a deal. Under no circumstances would I leave my fur babies in a vehicle, camper, RV, while I'm at work. I'd be sick with worry. I've worried when I've left them in daycare too, but at least they're supervised and I can be contacted if something happens.

Working part or full time at a doggie day care in exchange for reduced rates is an excellent idea.

I camped with a young man some years back who told a story of having gone off hunting early one morning, returning some hours later to find his trailer had burned down with his beloved dog inside.

I’ve never forgotten it.

Thank you for posting this! Simply reading that will make me more conscious, being a tiny bit more aware might make all the difference someday... even just turning off a lamp I might otherwise not thought to do.

WanderingRose said:
Working part or full time at a doggie day care in exchange for reduced rates is an excellent idea.

I camped with a young man some years back who told a story of having gone off hunting early one morning, returning some hours later to find his trailer had burned down with his beloved dog inside.

I’ve never forgotten it.
I have had the same feelings about leaving my dog when I went to work and she had a 2+ acre fenced secure yard to run around in. What if she got hurt, what if the coyotes came around? What if there is a forest fire? My son fussed because he was sure a local druggy that loved his dog was going to steal him.

We love them so we worry.

As far as the CL doggy daycares. Do more research then just CL. Some of the really nice ones advertise there. Do your research. We have some really nice private ones around here. But they are not cheap.

I took a few years off several years ago when hubby's job allowed me to and I took in a few neighbor dogs for the days when they needed it. It might be you can find a friend and do some bartering.

The dog we have right now seems fine most of the time, but he can also be grumpy and does not back down from a fight. So any place we go they need to understand and be aware of who they put him in with to play. Talk to who ever you find and make sure they are up on anything required shots license etc.  

Good luck finding what will work for you. And if at first you don't succeed keep looking.

We will be looking into something for our puppy too, but we will be traveling from town to town so …..

My sister used doggy day care for several years. She visited a few to find one she liked and and felt comfortable with, settling on one that a lady ran out of her home for smaller dogs. I definitely recommend visiting multiple to get a feel for them; I haven’t needed to use day care but have needed to shop around for a kennel for the family dog to stay at for a weekend and they can vary wildly. There are some truly wonderful places, and some lousy ones, and you can’t always tell by the surface stuff. Trust your gut is my best advice. [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dog died in a house fire of smoke inhalation. I ran in three times to try and save her (Couldn’t find her and couldn’t breathe or see so I had to keep going in and out) but she got woozy and wouldn’t come. She was 80 lbs and I couldn’t lift her. The firefighters said lack of oxygen causes this but they said animals usually run out in case of fire which is why I will never crate an animal. I now feel uncomfortable leaving my dog alone for long periods and would use a neighbor to check on her or daycare rather than do so.

Re: fires. Was reading about the latest fires in California (it’s part of our ecosystem) but some guy led a group of people to a lake who were going to head into more fire and there were a bunch of horses and wild animals already there. So most animals instinctively know what to do and shouldn’t be crated or kept in a tiny space with no escape in case of the need to get out. Just like humans. It’s illegal where I live to leave children and animals locked in cars.

Hi,

I been struggling on how I can transition to van life while having a small dog & I been thinking about using a Doggie Day Care service OR working overnight's and just leaving her in the minivan overnight while I'm at work. I much prefer the first option however eventually working overnights are likely the best option, however I'm just not that experienced enough to feel comfortable leaving her in there overnight and knowing she be safe and OK.

As a result I been looking more and more at doggie day cares that typically cost 250-350 a month. as that tends to be significantly less expensive than a cheapest apartment around 600-800 a month around the Spokane WA area. I'm currently living in Minnesota but I'm ready to head out west this winter and try something different.

Has anyone had any experience with doggie day care? Cause it sounds like it might be a great option given my situation. Even though I went to college I'm having a extremely hard time developing skills to get a good paying job so likely I'd be just making min. wage witch is almost 14 an hour statewide. I just want to take back my life again and feel like I can have some joy again, instead of seeing all my money going towards rent and bills.

I don't think I'd want to try to find anyone on craigslist cause it's scary to think I'd trust my baby with a stranger that isn't a professional business. Does anybody else struggle or have struggled with this issue. I heard those Toyota prius hybrids are able to work automatically using the electric motor and gas motor cycling on and off very efficiently to keep the temperature constant which seems like THAT's the million dollar answer!!! Toyota Sienna 2021 model is going to have a Hybrid model that I think would simply answer my own question again! :) ...Except I already just paid off my 2006 Honda Odyssey and I'm not budget wise ready to upgrade just yet. Maybe in a few years if I can find a way to save MOST of that money from rent to invest in a new home on wheels. Even if I got to have payments, it's be a great investment! A climate controlled home on wheels that I would eventually own for under 40,000. ❤️

I'm getting way ahead of myself, the designed model is not yet proven and the daily cost for fuel not yet determined but... I'm trying to figure this all out..

I don't want a massive RV that is easily able to be insulated and able to be climate controlled cause I just don't want all that massive space. Granted I'm still trying to pair down everything I own but I really really really want to get to the point where just about everything I own fits comfortably inside my minivan. And I want to be able to work a job that pays decent and is simple. Like overnight hotel audit, or overnight stocking or daytime cashier (likely holding off on more people contact jobs until after covid) with my dog...

Maybe there is some type of "device" that I could hook up to my minivan to look like the prius to keep the temperature constant? My van does have a safety feature that prevents locking the doors while the key is and it's running (I have 2 & 1/2 sets of keys) Could I easily put a low sound small generator to run all night while I'm at work to keep the van warm? Perhaps?

I'm designing everything around the comfort of my dog, the location I decide to work at I want to make sure it cooler and colder than most places as dealing with cold isn't as difficult as dealing with hot. (cold being 45-60F) Plus with overnight there is not sun which so If im working overnight that seems by far the best option. Just need a place that is still cool in the daytime so I can sleep comfortable too :)

I have thought about this countless days, hours and moments... And I have been running into roadblock after roadblock. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be much appreciated. I don't think I'm in the market to switch to a Toyota Hybrid just yet, but if that seems to be the only answer I might get there much faster, than I had expected. I know I'm a worry wart, but my little baby is the most valuable thing I have ever owned/had in my life so I definitely don't want to end a long day at work only to realize that it was to hot, and I would have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life. :(

Very long post I know but this is a very big topic and my head only seems to only come up with more questions than answers. Surly sombody else has the same struggle I'm having right?
Many dogs get traumatized at doggy daycares bc the staff cannot adequately supervise so many dogs at once. A lot of more submissive/gentle dogs get overwhelmed and bullied. Not to mention all the parasites😑

I had a good experience with day care for my little dog over several years, from late puppyhood to his final years (he only made it to 11 years old, poor guy). I visited the place, interacted with the staff, and could see where the dogs were. More than one area including an area for quiet time, and indoor romping around area and an outdoor play yard. My dog LOVED it there; he would get excited when we drove up to the place. TBH it wasn't cheap but I could afford it and felt it was worth it for the play and socialization he got that he wouldn't have just being at home with me. There's no substitute for visiting the place, talking to the people, seeing the facility - and giving it a try if it passes first muster.

Many dogs get traumatized at doggy daycares bc the staff cannot adequately supervise so many dogs at once. A lot of more submissive/gentle dogs get overwhelmed and bullied. Not to mention all the parasites😑

Not all doggie day cares are like that, and many are as good or better than licensed child care.

The one I used had cameras throughout, excellent staff, carefully screened new arrivals, segregated dogs by size, monitored interactions carefully and required current vaccination records to leave your pet there.

I used to work at a doggy daycare and they are not all created equal. The most important thing to look for is that there are separate areas for different sized dogs. That there are enough people to supervise the dogs (the ratio is usually 5 dogs to 1 person, but it varies from state to state). Make sure the place is clean. Make sure they verify shot records. Look at the small details - are there things that have been torn up by the dogs, but not repaired; are there items laying around that the dog can choke on; is there fresh water accessible at all times; is there down-time.

Ask if they will allow you a free 1 hour trial to see if daycare is a good fit for your dog. Daycare can be overwhelming to some dogs and they can react in 2 different ways. They can complete shut down and become traumatized or they can be over-stimulated and become frantic. If they really don't enjoy the company of other dogs, they are not going to enjoy daycare.

If daycare is not a good fit, then find a reliable and responsible pet sitter that could come check on your dog during the day and maybe take them for a short walk and play with them a little bit.

You know your dog the best. Be their advocate and do what is right for them. Good luck!!

Look them up online and check out their ratings; not just the numbers, but the reviews, paying special attention to the negative reviews. Personally check them out. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CREEP ALARM! If they have a lot of rules for the owners, I would pass.

The main problem with leaving your dog in your car is the possibility of theft.

Last edited:

Latest posts