DIY Pop Up Yurt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
Looking for info about building a small pop up yurt.  Nothing fancy or complicated please.  And yes I already know Wal-Mart sells a tent in the shape of one. 

It's an alternative I'm considering until I can afford that wide body high top.

It was this video that got me interested in the pop up version:

It is much easier to set up and take down than a standard yurt. I've found a few more videos but asked to see if there was someone experienced in this particular kind. I don't understand some of the descriptions.

I forgot to add that I would have to be able to haul it in my van as well as set up and disassemble myself.

Well, you know, yurts were originally DIY. And they were all pop-up because they needed to be packed away so the Mongols could take them place to place. :)

That one in the video was pretty cool.  I doubt very seriously if it would stand up to the desert winds though.  I think if I was going to invest money into something that is a temporary thing until I could get enough for the vehicle of my dreams, I'd go with a cheap TT or popup camper.  They have resale value.  I don't know about resale on a tent but I'm sure you won't get what you paid for it.  If you get a decent enough deal on an old canned ham type TT and clean it up really nice you can probably make a profit off of it when you go to sell it.  Don't know what your current budget or location is but something like this would be a good start:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/181...587818004928523/?sale_post_id=587818004928523

These come up from time to time and there is a gal named Zina Lacy on Facebook that buys and sells vintage campers.  She has two lots full of them, one in Texas and one in Oklahoma.  Just a thought...

Please I am in serious pain.  I am not well.  I'm getting desperate.   After cyndi's post I realized I wasn't clear about what I wanted so I posted a video showing what I wanted information on.  

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO POST SOMETHING RELATED TO THE ONE IN THE VIDEO?

I already know about Zina because you told me about her in my thread asking about travel trailers.  TTs are not relevant and I'm not asking about them here.

I don't give a crap about how they were pop ups.   I'm surprised you didn't bring up that they were called gers by the Mongols and that yurt is Russian.   WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE PARTICULAR KIND I'M ASKING ABOUT?

I'm asking for help here!  Why is this so hard?  I'm hurting!  Why do I have to justify every question I ask?  Why do I have to divulge personal information just to get a bone thrown my way?

Just delete my threads if I'm asking too much.  Seriously.

I'm sorry for your health issues.

It is quite possible this is simply not a topic this community knows much about.

Headache, no one truly understands your needs. We're just trying to help.

I've done a lot of traveling and haven't seen anybody traveling with a yurt. I'm sure they're out there but I don't think you'll find them here. Have you asked in a yurt forum?

https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/

There is a glamping section which might be fancier than you require but it's camping so maybe they have some ideas
https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-glamping-f8/

the straight side walls usually give yurts more usable floor space for any given size. highdesertranger