Can I raise roof on P42 step van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't condone this behavior, but if the voices are telling you to build it, build away! I'll surely come to see the this thing!

Don't let me put you down! Just do your research beforehand and realize that it really is an ambitious job. There are a lot things factoring in here. I think if you are considering "typical" roof raise versus a whole new curved roof, your original concept of roof raise might be better option. But I'm just speculating here as I've never done any of this myself. There are plenty of resources on the web about this stuff. Lots of people with ambulances do roof raises with their aluminum bodies. And oh my, so many skoolie people raise parts of their roofs with their steel bodies. There are lots of advantages to our flat step van roofs with 90 degrees corners. Lots of skoolie people curse their curved roof corners. From what I read, it involves lots of welding, riveting, hoists, jacks, patience, and a lot of time. If you really want to go that route, don't cut corners, do it right, and don't be afraid to think outside the box, like with a curved roof. You can do anything to a roof if you set your mind to it!

Haha, gypsy wagons, love it! Build one of those and tow it behind your step van!

So the Skokie builds, they are dealing with a curved foundation… meaning they are trying to compensate for preexisting curves. And esp at the joints. And then trying to reattach a curved roof. Where as I’m thinking, we have straight verticals and straight, right angle joints. I would not be trying to reattach the existing roof .. like I was thinking before. It would just be building a wooden roof on a square room. I would leave some of the horizontal crossbars to provide support, but it would also have the support from the arch.

And would it not help with redirecting sidewinds? I guess that would depend on overhang?
Idk that much about wind sheer and load.

My Dad is an engineer and has designed and build many homes and cabins. He’s in his 80’s but sharp as a tack.. okay maybe a bolt. But I think it would give him a project to help me design it. He wants to be useful and feels bad he can’t help with the actual build, nor does he trust himself with all the electrical/power ect work.

Curved roofs take less materials so while weight would be a concern, both for structural load on walls as well as vehicle weight .. but it would be less so, with using less materials.

I know I don’t have to change the roof, that I should just accept the rig I have and not try to make it something it’s not, or try to make it like a house or whatever. People probably wonder WHY … esp the diehards.. but I’m thinking why not?

Why live so safe and contained, why not make the most of what you have? People tell me I should just sell her and buy a rig that I want .. like I’m suppose to buy a land yacht rv princess palace. 🤣👸. That I’m being impractical. But I dont believe I’m throwing out the baby with the bath water. And she’s my baby. I know that sounds stupid to some macho men, but whatever. (Not you PoG… you seem to be an enlightened member of your gender).

But idk … like doesn’t it sound kinda fun?

If you left the existing supports, it would look cool if the outer roof was translucent. Then you could use the existing supports for storing lightweight things at one, or both ends, of the roof. Or storing insulation panels for when it is really cold. Slide them over the supports.

The translucent material used on step vans:

https://www.glasteel.com/en/brand/translucent-roofhttps://cranecomposites.com/frp-markets/cci-tr/frp-tr-applications/translucent-roofs/
Would that material hold up in highway wind on a curved roof?
Idk, I’d have to look into it. The other option is to build this type of thing. There’s an actual name for this type of roof design but can’t think of it at the moment. But it’s like a center raise, which could then have thick plexiglass over that. I wouldn’t want the whole thing be clear, but I do love the idea about having insulation panels to move across the horizontal and then stack them up above when not in use. That’s getting written down in my book!

Attachments

• 904E697E-8A06-4C83-BDA9-440F0CB0A9EC.jpeg
    904E697E-8A06-4C83-BDA9-440F0CB0A9EC.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1
  • AA619A27-C9A2-4F50-B1AE-6261E48D8392.jpeg
    AA619A27-C9A2-4F50-B1AE-6261E48D8392.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 1
  • 4EE03B48-A02E-453C-B15F-73F053E0842A.jpeg
    4EE03B48-A02E-453C-B15F-73F053E0842A.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
  • FAC85DB8-695F-452A-B716-646A57D0E3A7.jpeg
    FAC85DB8-695F-452A-B716-646A57D0E3A7.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 07334C24-8A8A-4213-AB7F-D6584576332E.jpeg
    07334C24-8A8A-4213-AB7F-D6584576332E.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 1
My thought is that it would be easier to raise your existing roof than to replace it with a curved roof. I wouldn't try to raise it over the driver area, but behind that doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

My thought is that it would be easier to raise your existing roof than to replace it with a curved roof. I wouldn't try to raise it over the driver area, but behind that doesn't seem all that difficult to me.
Yes, I’d not do anything over the cab. Idk, I have this bee stuck in my bonnet and I just want to do something about it, haha. Yes, I think it would be cool looking, inside and out, but it would solve some other of my “issues”.
This way I wouldnt be increasing the sidewall height, so better for driving and wind. I’d have the center height, more room for insulation which could justify some skylights to bring in natural light.

I would just build one as a trailer, but the thing is, why I wanted a stepvan was that I could go from bed to drive without having to go outside. I could just pull chocks and go.

With the curved roof, but leaving some of the existing cross pieces in place, I can't see how you'd accomplish your original intent, which was to have a higher ceiling. I do see how you could add more insulation with such an arrangement, without losing any ceiling height though. One thing you said somewhere up above was that a curved roof would take less material...how? A curve is always longer than a straight line.

With the curved roof, but leaving some of the existing cross pieces in place, I can't see how you'd accomplish your original intent, which was to have a higher ceiling. I do see how you could add more insulation with such an arrangement, without losing any ceiling height though. One thing you said somewhere up above was that a curved roof would take less material...how? A curve is always longer than a straight line.
There would be space between the top horizontals .. the rafters if you will. So it would just be like a beam, with the curved roof above. I’d take the skin off of course. So the area between the two horizontal beams (front to back lengthwise) would be open up to the curved roof. I’m trying to find a picture that shows what I mean… I’d try to draw it, but then I’d be shy about my imperfect curves.

It’s less material than doing a traditional pitched roof. Plus arch’s are stronger, so can hold more with less. Obviously not less than what there is now. I didn’t mean that way. Sometimes I don’t express what’s in my head very well.

Attachments

• 11677C02-0740-4402-A60A-4CBCCABF8DBD.jpeg
    11677C02-0740-4402-A60A-4CBCCABF8DBD.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 43D9D932-8F0C-4C93-A8E9-2A0B78CA0A14.jpeg
    43D9D932-8F0C-4C93-A8E9-2A0B78CA0A14.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 3
I can see a gain in ceiling height if the "rafters" were curved top and bottom... I was thinking flat on the bottom, So, you'd leave the original cross pieces in the front and the very back, but remove them in most of the living space? It would seem that could work, but how would you attach the "rafters" to the top of the sides?

I’m not sure if this helps visualize it.

Attachments

• 25353FC7-999C-4ACC-9FE1-F4F63D80209F.png
    25353FC7-999C-4ACC-9FE1-F4F63D80209F.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4960E86D-C16B-4073-882D-D62CEF8F48F0.jpeg
    4960E86D-C16B-4073-882D-D62CEF8F48F0.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
I can see a gain in ceiling height if the "rafters" were curved top and bottom... I was thinking flat on the bottom, So, you'd leave the original cross pieces in the front and the very back, but remove them in most of the living space? It would seem that could work, but how would you attach the "rafters" to the top of the sides?
Wall plates and strong-ties

Idk, I’d have to look into it. The other option is to build this type of thing. There’s an actual name for this type of roof design but can’t think of it at the moment. But it’s like a center raise, which could then have thick plexiglass over that. I wouldn’t want the whole thing be clear, but I do love the idea about having insulation panels to move across the horizontal and then stack them up above when not in use. That’s getting written down in my book!
I love those roofs. Don't know what they are called, but I saw the same type on two aluminum truck toppers for sale on craigslist in Colorado a couple years ago. Think they were from the 1960's. They reminded me of train cars where you can ride in the top section for better sightseeing. Tried to find a picture, but no luck.

Anyway, I like that idea!

Those illustrations still have the horizontal cross pieces... you're talking about eliminating almost all of them though, right?

Not all… but many. The design I have sort of separates the area into three areas. So like the area where I have walls for bathroom and closet would keep the horizontal. The space between bed/study and living/kitchen would have another. I can still walk under them. They’re still above 6’, but it’d just be a beam across.
but they’d be spaced like .. idk every 4-5’.
and like Carla suggested, I could I use them to lay insulated panels across if I’m in a cold climate.

You are looking for some sort of arched "roof truss" system, if I understand correctly?

I'd add that you should check out some of the YouTube camper factory tours, especially the high end models. Watch and take notes on how they do their roofs, structure & materials.

If you do raise it, you may even use EDPM rolled rubber over a thin plywood sheathing, as they do on camper trailers.

You may just decide to devise your truss system, go to a welder/fab shop with a cnc, have them design, cut & weld them.

I'd have them weld them directly to the original support beams.

Then cover & insulate in your choice of materials.

The reason I think it would be easier to just raise your existing roof is the way I saw it done in skoolie build videos... they just made a horizontal cut down both sides of the bus, raised the roof, then welded in extensions on the cut-off vertical ribs. Then they riveted (or welded) sheet metal over the gap. Seems WAY easier than building an entirely new roof.

re -- arched raised-roof
This probably would never happen to anybody.
In all likelihood, I am 'Chicken-Littling' again... but bare with me.
On a straight square horizontal roof atop straight square vertical walls, the mass of the above center-of-gravity presses straight down.
With an arched roof, that mass wants to press down at the center of the arch... flattening the arch... and forcing the walls to spread-'em.
I think we can all agree, although eye-catching and certainly worth the time of journalists to discuss in panels with break-aways to quotable perfesserionerals, narrow at the waist and broad in the shoulders is an acquired taste...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-132650.png
    Screenshot_20220314-132650.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
re -- arched raised-roof
This probably would never happen to anybody.
In all likelihood, I am 'Chicken-Littling' again... but bare with me.
On a straight square horizontal roof atop straight square vertical walls, the mass of the above center-of-gravity presses straight down.
With an arched roof, that mass wants to press down at the center of the arch... flattening the arch... and forcing the walls to spread-'em.
I think we can all agree, although eye-catching and certainly worth the time of journalists to discuss in panels with break-aways to quotable perfesserionerals, narrow at the waist and broad in the shoulders is an acquired taste...
But I’d have rafter ties.

Attachments

• Liplenko_EuroSteel_2014-Full.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 1