Can I raise roof on P42 step van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
So the van I bought remotely actually has a higher floor, which is great for clearance, but is not the 7’ I was expecting.
Please don’t tell me to buy a new van or cut on me buying this one.. I’ve seen some posts where people are pretty brutal to the poster.
This is what it is, I’m asking where do I go from here?

Considering floor and ceiling insulation and that I’m 5’9, I’m going to end up a hunchback. My Mom already says I slouch.

Can I just cut around the top like 6 or 10 inches down, extend the vertical ribs, drop roof back down and wrap it with a sheet of aluminum? I would only be working with the vertical sides, not cutting down into the roof itself.

Any idea what that might cost or the skill level needed. I’ve watched a 2 min video where they put like a mohawk down the center, but seems like it’s more likely to get leaks and a lot more complicated. I’m just wanting to be simple. Yes I know I’ll need people to help with lifting the roof, or pulley it up a tree, haha.

I’ve seen posts for alternating school buses, but I’m specifically asking about a step van constructing and materials.

Thank you in advance.

Considering floor and ceiling insulation and that I’m 5’9

What is the actual inside height right now? If you can stand in the existing box I'd consider using very thin layer of the highest-R insulation and forgoing floor insulation.

Please don’t tell me to buy a new van or cut on me buying this one..

Since those rules are in place I will gently suggest we are dealing with an X/Y problem. In this case
  • X = raising the roof
  • Y = {problem we are forbidden to state}

What is the actual inside height right now? If you can stand in the existing box I'd consider using very thin layer of the highest-R insulation and forgoing floor insulation.
Since those rules are in place I will gently suggest we are dealing with an X/Y problem. In this case
  • X = raising the roof

Well, I’ll need some type of floor insulation. I live in AK and even when I go to lower 48 will be in colder winter areas. I had wanted to do radiant in floor heating but that would take up a lot. The ceiling has thin panels that sag a bit between ribs, and I just about hit those. I had drawn my plans for 7’ height, using a lot of that around the perimeter with storage, so dropping down a foot cuts into that.

Well, I hope not busting on people is sort of an unspoken rule, not that you are.
I’m new to this online thing, and have found people forget their manners and become very brave and opinionated/judge mental. I’m also pretty sensitive, esp with this as I’m venturing into unknown communication method about something I’m really nervous, and excited scared, and do t want to be told I’m an idiot because I kinda feel like one at times.

I have few options in Alaska, so this is what there was… I can’t be overly picky. That being said, that doesn’t mean one can’t mold the clay in front of them.

I have no idea what is possible, what the practicality or limits are to ideas, possible solutions, ect.

I’m just curious if anyone had done something like this before or had an experience or heard of it.
I’ll admit I’m scared to ask dumb questions. And while I like and appreciate options, I’d like to know if it is possible, why or why not, concerns, considerations to doing something like lifting the roof.

I great.y appreciate your reply. I’ll keep thinking about insulation options. I’ve only had her a day, my mind is racing. 🤣

Can I just cut around the top like 6 or 10 inches down, extend the vertical ribs, drop roof back down and wrap it with a sheet of aluminum? I would only be working with the vertical sides, not cutting down into the roof itself.

Any idea what that might cost or the skill level needed. I’ve watched a 2 min video where they put like a mohawk down the center, but seems like it’s more likely to get leaks and a lot more complicated. I’m just wanting to be simple. Yes I know I’ll need people to help with lifting the roof, or pulley it up a tree, haha.
The method you are proposing seems more likely to leak since you'll have two seams rather than one. And more difficult since it needs to hold up your existing roof. Note that a lot of the structure comes from the skins, not just the ribs.

I haven't built a high-top, but I've built 3 campers. I thinking cutting a hole in the roof and installing a home-built high top made of plywood is how I'd do it. Simple and cheap. If you curve the top front to back, it will be more sturdy and more aero. I'd cover with hand-laid fiberglass and paint, but if that sounds to complicated, a coating of Monstaliner should do the trick.

The method you are proposing seems more likely to leak since you'll have two seams rather than one. And more difficult since it needs to hold up your existing roof. Note that a lot of the structure comes from the skins, not just the ribs.

I haven't built a high-top, but I've built 3 campers. I thinking cutting a hole in the roof and installing a home-built high top made of plywood is how I'd do it. Simple and cheap. If you curve the top front to back, it will be more sturdy and more aero. I'd cover with hand-laid fiberglass and paint, but if that sounds to complicated, a coating of Monstaliner should do the trick.
I didn’t know that about the skins, they seem so flimsy flapping around when it’s driving. I would defiantly want it to be structurally sound, and not diminish too much integrity. I guess I had thought that since the seams were on the vertical sides, as long as I overlapped them out, it would be less likely to leak as the rainwater would not be standing (like with a roof mod on top) and it would go down the sides like with house siding.

But again, I a as new as new can be. In AK people have done all sorts of mods to their fishing boats so I thought I’d ask. I’d want it to try and look as stealth or work mode as possible, not so much to city dwell, but just blend it better and not have it look too much like a solo woman wanderer, but I can’t have everything.

Thank you for getting back with me. I’ll look more into the construction of step vans so I’m more knowledgeable regarding these types of alterations.

I'm not going to suggest you get a different vehicle, but a roof raise is ambitious! Too much stress in my book, but good luck if you do. Yes, it is very possible. But I think it would be best if you avoid doing all of that. These things are built like a tank from the factory. It would be a shame to alter the integrity of it and maybe introduce leaks later down the road.

Maybe just cut down the middle and angle up both sides and add a strip down the middle. Much like a roof on house.

Would it be feasible to add insulation to the underside?

I've seen where it was done on trailers.

• X = raising the roof
And while you say “gently” .. that’s the exact passive aggressive snarky comment … including a link to a much snarkier explanation … which I was kindly asking not to include. I don’t have a Y problem.

I am simply asking if it was possible. That’s all.

I'm not going to suggest you get a different vehicle, but a roof raise is ambitious! Too much stress in my book, but good luck if you do. Yes, it is very possible. But I think it would be best if you avoid doing all of that. These things are built like a tank from the factory. It would be a shame to alter the integrity of it and maybe introduce leaks later down the road.

I’ve been told I’m ambitious… but I also wanted to consider everything before moving forward and then thinking “what if I would of done xxx” down the line. I know there are ways I can live with it and use it as a positive challenge… but there’s always big ideas that come up. It’s why I ask before just going and doing it. I greatly appreciate your input, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe just cut down the middle and angle up both sides and add a strip down the middle. Much like a roof on house.

I was looking at mods like that … I was kinda wanting to keep her looking like a working stealth sorta, not so much here is a solo woman wandering around. But maybe I’m being overly cautious.

I have lots of thoughts, and I like that you presented a new possible solution to having a higher roof. It would be nice too to have a bit of a cabin snail more of a house home type thing. I do love those rooflines.
Thank you

I was looking at mods like that … I was kinda wanting to keep her looking like a working stealth sorta, not so much here is a solo woman wandering around. But maybe I’m being overly cautious.

I have lots of thoughts, and I like that you presented a new possible solution to having a higher roof. It would be nice too to have a bit of a cabin snail more of a house home type thing. I do love those rooflines.
Thank you
You really only need to raised in the middle so you can stand up in the middle.

Would it be feasible to add insulation to the underside?

I've seen where it was done on trailers.
My friend mentioned that as well. I’m not sure how that works with all the other stuff under there. I think it’s like a spray on which forms a bit of a shell. It would defiantly save on adding anything inside that would reduce the height.

It’s probably me just feeling a bit dumb I didn’t triple check the interior dimensions compared to exterior and realize the floor was raised. Hence the problem with buying remotely and from a guy who refuses to deal with women.

So many thoughts and considerations .. it’s all rather exciting

I didn’t know that about the skins, they seem so flimsy flapping around when it’s driving.
Maybe your skins are less substantial than a normal van. Sorry I'm not familiar with step-van construction.

If it has a flat roof, that should make building a high-top easier. On a normal van you have to match all the curves which can get tedious. I think it should be simple to do compared to interior build out.

You really only need to raised in the middle so you can stand up in the middle.
True, more storage means more stuff … and that’s what I’m trying to get away from. It really is the height for standing and dancing room and I would say the “feel”. It was just standing in a cold dark box feeling and my hair warning me I was about to hit me noggin. In the others I’d been in I hadn’t felt it as much, yes they were taller, but maybe because they had fiberglass roofs and letting light in. I need to decide what is more important to me.
Those types of things change when you finally get the rig and start moving around in it and this whole idea is becoming real. Is it really more important to blend in and look like a work rig than to have higher ceilings and a comfort factor.

Maybe your skins are less substantial than a normal van. Sorry I'm not familiar with step-van construction.

If it has a flat roof, that should make building a high-top easier. On a normal van you have to match all the curves which can get tedious. I think it should be simple to do compared to interior build out.

Yes, it’s as straight and square as can be, which makes things so much easier inside. I’m not so good with curves and all that. I guess I’ll get in touch with metal fabricators, there’s a lot of mod work done on fishing rigs here, so maybe they’d have input onto the strength and leakage risks. It all seems simple in my head .. like cutting a cake to add frosted in between layers. Okay maybe not that easy.

That looks like some character but I can’t think of it … like a cartoon character, with their bat turned backwards or something … or maybe a baseball catcher.

1948 Willys! Yes, that’s kinda what I mean, but a bit different in my head. That would give me more head space for sure.

I also need to keep in mind budget… is this worth eliminating something else in the list, is that something that can be added in later when budget allows? This is something I’d do now or never. Bit is it worth waiting on getting lithium ion batteries or the incinerator toilet I’d promised myself if I stayed in budget. Only I can answer that, as we each have our own standards and rank of importance and what something means to us.

To some this might seem like a stupid question, but then again I might not get why they’re considering … idk a Cupid fountain in theirs. The beauty of this is that we DONT have to conform to anyone else’s standards or what something is worth to us or what we value. And it’s in the very process of asking each other where we discover that.

When else in my life have I ever asked myself.. what’s more important to me, being able to dance inside with my hands in the air or the ability to burn my own mixture of pee poo so as to not have to find a place to pour a bottle of urine and dump poopy soil? Because for me that actually is a question. 🤣

Actually sounds like a project I would like to be involved in. I worked in body shops all my life and have worked on some pretty strange projects. Unfortunately I'm about as far from Alaska as I can be. I'm in Florida headed to south Texas soon. If you want to talk about how to do it I can give you my number I hate text but you could call me if you want. I think two guys could do it in a couple days if you had all the tools and materials ready to go