DIY Composting Toilet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjffineww

Reaction score
From what I've been reading it seems easy enough to make my own composting toilet. Am I missing something or is it just a 5 gal bucket and layers of peat moss or sawdust? I've seen some people put the bucket in a box(which I plan to do). Is a fan necessary in the box? Where can I get rid of the waste when the bucket is full, other than the trash preferably. Can I just dig a hole in the woods and put it in there? What am I missing? Thanks.

wjffineww said:
From what I've been reading it seems easy enough to make my own composting toilet. Am I missing something or is it just a 5 gal bucket and layers of peat moss or sawdust? I've seen some people put the bucket in a box(which I plan to do). Is a fan necessary in the box? Where can I get rid of the waste when the bucket is full, other than the trash preferably. Can I just dig a hole in the woods and put it in there? What am I missing? Thanks.

For starters I'd read up on the "C Head" composting toilet.   You will want to have separate containers for the liquid and solids--as shown in video, otherwise you're going to have major odor issues.   There are more basic ways to to this but If I ever build one I'd copy the C-head model--minus the hand crank/rotator.

I built one using the C-head design and have been using it for a year.  I used a 5 gallon pail and 1 gallon water jug for urine.  I have only used sawdust in mine that I buy at Tractor Supply.  I've been very happy with mine; just be sure to empty the urine on a regular basis.  I built mine out of PVC lumber from Lowes.  You can use wood if you want I just wanted it so I could  wash it out with a pressure washer if I needed to.  I have a 22 ft TT and I bolted to the toilet flange and sealed the hole to the black tank. I use 8 gallon trash bags to line the 5 gallon bucket with.  I did use a piece of 3/4 plywood for the top to mount the toillet seat to.

The composting toilets (as you can read about in the bible of the subject, The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins) are not the composting toilets referred to in the various varieties of RVs and vans.  

True composting toilets are either built into a house (like a Sun-Mar, etc), or as Jenkins explains, carried out to a dedicated compost site in your back yard, where it is deposited and allowed to compost for a couple of years.  Neither of those are appropriate for mobile living, or living on property that isn't your own.

The big problem is mixing urine with feces and adding time -- it creates considerable odor. If you are living on BLM land for two weeks, you can't store it aboard for the whole two weeks until you can go to town and dump it -- or rather, you wouldn't want to do it TWICE.

So, it's a matter of store and dump.  Keep the urine in a jug, cover the feces with sawdust.  Doing it that way keeps the odor down until you can get to town to dump it.  Plastic bags are helpful in this respect.  If you are camped at a place that has a vault (pit) toilet, you can dump it there (not in the bag).

You could probably bury the materials in some places, if you can dig a deep enough hole, but there are places like regular campgrounds where that is prohibited.  And please DO NOT dump undiluted urine at the base of trees.

Also, if you dump urine right around your campsite, it will smell like an animal is living there.

It is a matter of adapting to current local conditions.  What works in one place won't always work somewhere else.

The difference between the DIY and C-Head or Nature's Head is the agitator and integrated urinal design. The fan isn't for odor removal as much as moisture removal. As TrainChaser has pointed out, RV "composting" toilets are more accurately dessicating toilets.

If you're planning on making your own, be prepared for several remakes until you get the dimensions exact. There's a reason the C-Head is set up the way it is....I'm sure that it took Sandy a lot of time and experimenting to get the separating part in the place it is.

And make sure you seal the outside lower compartment until it's watertight...you WILL neglect to change out the liquid tank at least once in your use of it....don't ask me why I'm so positive of this... :dodgy:

We were seriously considering installing a Composting Toilet in our Camper, but after watching all the YouTube videos about them, and watching one that said something that made a lot of sense, we decided against it.
The thing that was said was, if you are prone to pee and poo at the same time, it is hard to use the CT because if you allow the pee to go into the composting material, it will smell, and it doesn't take long for that to happen.
Also if you have a tendency to have loose bowel movements, it also could become a problem.
These two statements have dissuaded us from investing into a CT.
Also cleaning a CT after you have just had a loose bowel movement is a must, you must remove any of the feces from the sides of the CT after you have used it, to remove the smells.
I am not saying this is a bad idea, just one that won't work for us.
Good Luck.

I don't know which You Tube videos you were watching but like anything else on the internet - Just because it's on the internet, it must be true'....NOT.   :rolleyes:

We won't go in to my digestive problems on the open forum but suffice it to say that I've used the C-Head quite successfully for over a year now. And yes, I do both at the same time...TMI IMO.

BTW, the C-Head and the other RV/Marine 'composting toilet', Natures' Head should more properly be called 'separating toilets'. The solids contents do not stay in the toilet long enough to compost. A true composting system can only be used in a stationary location since it takes up to 2 years to compost solid waste.

This  is the "best" youtube video on the composting toilet that I've seen... and helped me realize that I just can't "do" all that is required for the downsides of having one.

James and Stephanie share the truth about what they think and what they've realized after a year on the RV road with one.

When I get somewhere where I have free wifi I'll watch the whole thing.

I did watch the first few minutes until I got a good view of the composting toilet that they have.

Actually I just googled 'RV composting toilets' and it looks remarkably like the design of the Sun-Mar which are in the price range of 2 grand. Not surprising considering the RV they had it in. If I'm right it uses a burner unit to decompose the solid waste.

It is absolutely nothing like the C-Head, doesn't work like the C-Head and costs at least 3 times more.

Just like any other commercial product, not everything is created equal.

I'm just trying to point out that, while a separating toilet isn't for everyone, don't judge them all by one video or even 3 or 4 videos.

I've used my homemade seperating toilet for a year now and it works well for me.  Its like everything in life; I figure out what works for me and ADAPT to the situation.  I have a lot of friends who can't figure out how I get through life.  I do what works for me and allow myself to change if I need to. Shit happens and I deal with it the way I feel works best for me, but everyone has to figure what works for them.  You'll figure it out.

They didn't say anything about a burner unit, only about the fan hookups... seems I missed it if they did, but they did say that it would need a short break from time to time to catch up "composting" (which we all do know that isn't really composting, right?)

I am planning on building a do it your self composting toilet like the c head. The crank design is the only hard part I think.

Disposal is my biggest concern.

This video shows them dumping out a c head bucket at about the 3:39 mark. It looks like dirt to me. It seems like you could dump it about anywhere on trees or bushes and no one would notice it.

Anyone know how long it would take to dry out like they show it in the video?
Would the toilet paper degrade enough like shown here?
Train chaser said you should bury it, but if it looks like dirt is that really necessary?

Thanks!

The C-head website gives you the measurements.  I used them and it worked out first tome.  I don't want the crank thing but it seems to me he does sell it as a replacement item.  It's just easier for me to put mine in the dumpster with the baby pampers and other old farts like me put their depends.  I had a neighbor in her 80's that I made regular deposits of her depends in the dumpster and noone got bent out of shape.

With the peat moss (which already smells earthy) and my diet it works quite well but I do separate solids from liquids in a gamma lid bucket in a lid wood box with a padded seat, very comfy.

please never dump human waste on top of the ground. take the time and at least bury it. highdesertranger

Hi,

Here is a link to a manufactured composting toilet for $925. A RV'er passed through Amargosa Valley with a Class A with the composting toilet. I didn't talk to him or see the unit. I heard about it second hand and looked it up on the internet.

http://www.natureshead.net/

Another RV'er (a skoolie) had a DIY unit. I did not see the inside unit. They had a hole in the floor and the container was outside under the vehicle. They used coconut shavings. Peat moss can have bugs. I noticed a bag of increasing compost content which led me to wonder if a CT was what they were using.

My two bits.

Almost There said:
I don't know which You Tube videos you were watching but like anything else on the internet - Just because it's on the internet, it must be true'....NOT.   :rolleyes:

We won't go in to my digestive problems on the open forum but suffice it to say that I've used the C-Head quite successfully for over a year now. And yes, I do both at the same time...TMI IMO.

BTW, the C-Head and the other RV/Marine 'composting toilet', Natures' Head should more properly be called 'separating toilets'. The solids contents do not stay in the toilet long enough to compost. A true composting system can only be used in a stationary location since it takes up to 2 years to compost solid waste.

I think it was "The Motorhome experiment" but not sure about it. Hubby watches a lot of them.
The did say that if you have problems with digestion, if your poo is runny, it could be a big problem because you must clean the inside well, to keep the gnats and flies down. 
I am glad the C-Head is working well for you Almost There!!
I really was just passing on the info I had seen, incase someone else may need to know about it too.
I do remember that the man said that changing and cleaning the C-Head was a JOB.  But then again, as You have pointed out, Just because it is on YouTube doesn't mean it is Truth.
Sharon

Latest posts