Dumping Waste, Bags or Composting Waste

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For urine, consider one of the Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent containers: very heavy plastic, bright yellow, wide mouth (pull the inside pour spout out, and toss it), built-in handle.
I have a friend that look in the trash cans when she goes to the laundry. She always has several large liquid detergent jugs on hand.

Thanks, and yes I'm not yet out there. Just noticing that businesses around where I am often have dumpsters locked up to prevent other people from using them. I'm trying to sort out best practices to avoid potential problems that could lead to becoming an unwelcome visitor as I travel. Sounds like you are finding [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]appropriate [/font]places readily.
I put my trash out at gas stations and I used small black bags to encase things in so they were easy to drop into the receptacles.

Doody bags are very expensive. I used a mid-size trash bag that would fit over the top of the bucket, I used a 3 gal instead of 5 it gave me more headroom. I put wadded up paper in the bottom then when I was finished I tied it up tight and put it into hefty steel trash bags that fit step cans they are 3.2 gal bags. With the black bags no one can see what you are disposing of. I would suggest to start buying these boxes of black bags as you go along and by the time you get ready to hit the road you will have a good supply! I used to live in a camper van and now I am getting my Honda Odyssey ready to be a camper and I will use the same system. I would never have a black tank I don't care what kind of rig I had that is just not my deal! :)

This is off-topic, so please forgive, but I’ve been using the PocketEarth app for years, which tracks your exact location on real time and without internet,

I’m sure there are others out there.

No getting lost.
Never apologize for giving some very, very useful information! I'm going to check that out myself even though I am more of an urban camper and only on BLM land occasionally. Thank you 💜

The problem with that is soon they will outlaw even the vault toilet, some camping sites have already been shut down because of trash being left behind.

If enough decide that "I don't care" about the rules, it reflects badly on all of us. Look at the Walmart overnight parking issues we are facing.
I agree, and we all should do the very best that we can. And that includes picking up after those who make a mess before us. I keep rubber gloves and extra bags in my van. :)

Getting back to the original post, I have experience with 3 types of toilets typically used in vehicles. I have an RV with a traditional black tank, a porta potty in an outbuilding, and a bucket toilet in my van. They each have their pros and cons. Which one is best depends on the use case. My van is my daily driver, I've also done dozens of road trips, including coast to coast 2x. I almost never use public bathrooms.

My blank tank, at 50 gallons, is never the limiting factor. Still, its inconvenient because it has to be driven to a designated place to dump. But since I have to refill the fresh water tank anyway, its unavoidable. The dumping process is more complicated than the other toilet types, but there's no smell when dumping or from the toilet, unless something is wrong. The toilet needs to be cleaned just like the toilet in a house. The black tank needs occasional attention also. Males can remain standing to pee.

The porta potty looks and sits like a regular toilet but it is lightweight and can be moved anywhere at will. It needs to be cleaned the most frequently compared to the other toilet types. The tank is tiny, how frequently it needs to dumped is dependent on how many people are using it and how often. Doesn't matter if its solid or liquid deposits. It is guaranteed to smell very bad when it is dumped. The tank needs to be cleaned after every dump. I do this process outside, using a garden hose and soap. Cleaning takes significantly longer than the other toilets. Males must sit to pee (the bowl is not deep enough) to avoid splash back. Lastly, these toilets are shorter than regular toilet height, so taller people will be in a squatting position when sitting.

My bucket toilet is the kind of composting toilet you see homesteaders on YouTube build. It is an ottoman made of wood. Under the lid is a regular toilet seat. In the compartment below it, a 5 gal bucket lined with a plastic bag containing pine pellets. These expand as pee is added it, no cover material needed. Males can remain standing to pee. In around town use, I've gone 3 weeks without emptying it. On road trips its my only toilet, I empty it every 4-5 days. Unless I poop in it, in which case its time in my vehicle is measured in hours. The only odor is the smell of pine pellets. The toilet also doubles as a trash can for coffee grinds, food remnants, stuff I don't want to put in the vehicle trash bag. There is no cleanup other than occasionally wiping the toilet seat with a Lysol tissue. The bucket does not typically need to be cleaned, but even in the worst case (ie. bag leak) it takes less than 30 seconds to pour in a some Clorox and wipe it out. I would not want any other type of toilet in my van. I don't want to have to search for dump sites like I do with the RV. I don't want to search for toilets to dump a porta potty. With bucket toilet, I tie-up the bag and dump it at the most convenient gas station, big box store, or rest area.
If anyone remembers ever going into a filthy, nasty public bathroom with urine all over the floor, I think you would understand that I would rather use my very clean and sanitized bucket and bag system. I would much prefer my own potty than any other. But that's just me. I have not tried the pine pellets but I will! Thank you