DIY Composting Toilet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Road Wearier II said:
I am planning on building a do it your self composting toilet like the c head. The crank design is the only hard part I think.

Disposal is my biggest concern.

This video shows them dumping out a c head bucket at about the 3:39 mark. It looks like dirt to  me. It seems like you could dump it about anywhere on trees or bushes and no one would notice it.

Anyone know how long it would take to dry out like they show it in the video?
Would the toilet paper degrade enough like shown here?
Train chaser said you should bury it, but if it looks like dirt is that really necessary?

Thanks!

Actually, I'd suspect that getting the dividing line between liquid and solid in exactly the right spot is going to be the hardest part! Much harder than designing the crank part.

Please, don't just dump the solid container on the ground anywhere. No matter that it looked like dirt in the video, it doesn't usually look like dirt in real life. If you're using peat moss (which most find dusty) and no one has had anything but the firmest of bm's, it might look like dirt but it's still peat moss mixed with human waste. Using pine shavings, it still looks like pine shavings mixed with, well, shit!

Depending on the climate that you're disposing of the solids in, the time for total decomposition can range upwards of 2 years. That's for in a controlled humanure pile where straw is added and water as needed.

If you're in the northern forest, well away from human activity, then burying it is possible. If you're in the desert, unless you've got a jack hammer on board, it ain't gonna happen. As with using a cat hole, make sure that you are well away from any water source.

Most every one who uses a separating or composting toilet does NOT put the toilet paper in the solids container. Paper has a completely different degradation time line.

As with a lot of things you see on YouTube, just because someone made a video of it, doesn't make it correct or the good thing to do.

Personally, I double bag it, storing that in a plastic bucket and take it straight to the landfill. Particularly here in Ehrenberg where every time I'm near the dumpster in front of the laundromat, I see someone dumpster diving.

As the others have said, please don't dump it on the ground. In the time you're going to have it 'on hand', it will only be starting to compost, it will not be fully composted. And, as AlmostThere pointed out, it is necessary for it to be ACTUALLY COMPOSTING WITH HEAT for a year or two to kill the harmful bacteria.

And, since you will likely be dumping it into commercial waste containers, it doesn't matter if the paper is composting or not.

Almost There said:
Actually, I'd suspect that getting the dividing line between liquid and solid in exactly the right spot is going to be the hardest part! Much harder than designing the crank part.

Please, don't just dump the solid container on the ground anywhere. No matter that it looked like dirt in the video, it doesn't usually look like dirt in real life. If you're using peat moss (which most find dusty) and no one has had anything but the firmest of bm's, it might look like dirt but it's still peat moss mixed with human waste. Using pine shavings, it still looks like pine shavings mixed with, well, shit!

Depending on the climate that you're disposing of the solids in, the time for total decomposition can range upwards of 2 years. That's for in a controlled humanure pile where straw is added and water as needed.

If you're in the northern forest, well away from human activity, then burying it is possible. If you're in the desert, unless you've got a jack hammer on board, it ain't gonna happen. As with using a cat hole, make sure that you are well away from any water source.

Most every one who uses a separating or composting toilet does NOT put the toilet paper in the solids container. Paper has a completely different degradation time line.

As with a lot of things you see on YouTube, just because someone made a video of it, doesn't make it correct or the good thing to do.

Personally, I double bag it, storing that in a plastic bucket and take it straight to the landfill. Particularly here in Ehrenberg where every time I'm near the dumpster in front of the laundromat, I see someone dumpster diving.

Thanks for the input on the composting output (and Train Chaser too).

I have the Humanure Handbook and as you say it needs to go into the compost pile if your really going to compost it.

My girl friend seems to insist that it is just dirt and nobody can tell. She mainly wants to go in the city too which seems even more problematic finding some where to bury it (or dump it on the ground). She also wants to divert the urine to the gray water and just dump that out too.

I don't think either of these are good ideas, but she doesn't want to hear it.

The good news is we don't have a van yet, and probably won't be on the road for a few years. I will keep working on her, but she is pretty hard headed.

after you dump it have her step on one of those clumps that should cure her. highdesertranger

Latest posts