Dumping Waste, Bags or Composting Waste

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And don't do it in the desert. Lots of desert plants are triggered to bloom when they detect moisture and it will cause them to try to bloom at the wrong time.
Don't dump straight urine onto , or at the base of growing plants -- it's too strong. Just because dogs lift their legs on trees (etc) doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's not water, it's urine.
Yup, urine isn't water. It's better. Urine is rich in nitrogen and phosphorus and has been used for generations to help plants grow. However, I also understand there is such a thing as "too much." I delute urine before pouring it directly on planets. I'm not so concerned about pouring it on soil that can filter it before reaching the water table. As a kid I remember always knowing where our septic tank was. It was right underneath where all the grass and other planets were growing the best.

Unless you are dumping gallons of urine around plants, it will make no difference in the short term. A pint or two around plants will not penetrate the soil deep enough to trigger growth or blooming. However it will mostly stay in place until the next rain and provide a source of nitrogen when it does rain hard enough to cause it to penetrate to the roots of plants. Kind of makes me wonder what some people do with their pets pee though. As for dumping it directly on plants? Yes, that can cause the foliage to "burn" and die, and not recommended. Best to dump it a little ways away from base of plants. If there are bathrooms, porta-potties or the like, I use that, otherwise the pee goes on the ground somewhere. I also use urine occasionally as fertilizer for some plants around the house.

Bob Wells has an excellent video on this topic. He seems to have a pretty good handle on it.

Municipal transfer stations, you have to go into towns now and again to get water and food. Dumpsters now and again when available.

Everyone overthinks this before they get on the road. You will quickly sort it out once you start out full time.
I have been OTR since November. I spent time in Quartzsite AZ before coming back to the PNW for the holidays. I was bagging "it" as the idea of a black tank was disgusting to me, and having owned cats/dogs, bagging seemed more normal.
"Everyone overthinks this before they get on the road. You will quickly sort it out once you start out full time." This statement bothered me as I HAVE BEEN OTR and it was NOT as easy as implied. As others have stated, locked dumpsters and cameras make dumping your "trash" feel illicit and problematic. Placing a large bag of waste in a standard trash can just feels wrong as the poor soul who has to dump it may get soiled. And in Quartzsite, dear Lord, with so many van'ners around I felt stressed out trying to find places to dump even standard trash. (Note: I must concur with the statement about diapers, dog and cat waste. What is my human waste compared to the number of diapers in landfills...)
In Quartzsite I began to try different methods when the bagging method became an issue for me. (Note: being new, I didn't want to pay the LTVA fee as I didn't want to stay that long.) I have tried using my black tank for liquid only, since that makes the trashed waste easier to handle... But when I'm in city, then what? Not all travel plazas/gas stations have dumps and the online apps include RV parks/campgrounds that are for residents only. Sigh...
Thank you for letting me vent off steam about my newbie experience... I, too, would like the answer "How does one dump waste easily?" I appreciate all feed back.

Love my compost toilet and would not change, the finished compost bag is not that big, maybe what would be 3 gallon bag, no smell except dirt.
What compost toilet do you have?

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In asking the original question I was looking for those that have actually used either system for their experiences, and the details of how to make it work, etc. as I don't personally have that same experience.[/font]

Perhaps one problem is the naming of them as "Composting Toilets" It's a bit of a "green wash" tactic, making it seem like something its not.

The main difference I see between "composting toilets" and 5 gallon bucket and bag setups is in the first, the matter is aerated and dried with the addition and mixing of organic material with a constant airflow over it drying it out to where it can collect for 2-3 weeks before you need to dump it. It provides a stable storage situation for 2-3 weeks and will use 1 or maybe 2 plastic bags.

It is starting the composting process, but for most users it will then be bagged and put in the trash much the same as dirty diapers. I get it that "Composting" is more a marketing term than a reality.

With the second process I have the impression it uses 1 bag for 1 bowel movement. Over a 2-3 week period this would be a lot of bags. I've camped with a 90lb dog in places with high use, yet no local trash service, that I needed to bag each movement and store it in my trash until I found an appropriate disposal container on the way out. It added up. Where do you store the full bags until you arrive at a location where you can properly dispose of them?

If you don't use 1 bag per movement, how does storing a pile of movements in a plastic bag inside a bucket with no aeration work out?
I used cat litter. Five gallon bucket, hefty bag (obviously), and a good quality, (scented) natural cat litter does me for about 48 hours. I am real picky about smells, even when I had a sticks and bricks, so the odor issue was big for me. I am in a Class B Camper Van (19+) and my actual black tank can only hold 12 G and my fresh is 30. I have to go "in" regardless because of my size limitations.

I know a lot of people poopoo porta potties but that is what I use, in my kurbmaster, it is in a box under the drivers seat that swivels forward to access. I use that blue chemical but only half of recommended amount I have had it sit for three weeks in summer with no issues with odours. I don’t pee in it, I use a laundry jug for that and can use the jug while sitting on pottie. I empty it in any toilet I come across or bury it in a cat hole when appropriate. I find the bag thing a bit weird to dispose of and carry around. I did build a compartment on my rear bumper for the purpose of bag storage originally, installed the porta pottie in case any nosey bodies ever inquired decided to give it a try one day and once you get used to emptying without splashing, i find it to be the cats meow it works as it is intended to. Unless you are sitting in the boondocks for a long period of time finding a toilet is pretty easy so you don’t use it as much as you would think.
Being female, I'm concerned about the "separation of church and state" while seated. ;-) I know I have read that it is easy to learn to control such things, but I would love to hear from other females that use these things and have successfully separated while sitting? Thanks!

Being female, I'm concerned about the "separation of church and state" while seated. ;-) I know I have read that it is easy to learn to control such things, but I would love to hear from other females that use these things and have successfully separated while sitting? Thanks!
Start by noticing what happens now, when you are on a regular toilet. Do you release both at the same time? If so, you might have a hard time learning. But most likely you will find that that you release one, then the other. Dunno why that should be, just that it seems to be the case. Then you just have to figure out your own pattern, and conform your new habits to that fact.

Hi SusiB, I am a female who “releases both at the same time.”. My method only works for those who can squat. I squat over a shallow pan (like an aluminum pie pan). In the pan is the odor proof plastic bag, with a 1/4 inch layer of sawdust, used kitty litter, or old newspaper. I aim my rear at the pan, while holding a jar (2 1/2” diameter) right up against, and circling, the area where liquid may emerge. The two substances go into their respective receptacles. I then sprinkle “poo powder” which I got from amazon onto the solids (dries and to some extent controls odor), throw in the used TP, close the plastic bag without enclosing extra air, and with an overhand knot, and turn on my exhaust fan. The resulting package is almost odor free and easy to dispose of with ordinary trash.

Bless you for your clarity. I have been staying with my daughter due to holidays, then unexpected van issues... I had gotten so stressed about waste disposal that I have been delaying my exit from normal back to van living.

One other question... The liquid. Collect in a larger container and dump into a public toilet??

Last edited:
Bless you for your clarity. I have been staying with my daughter due to holidays, then unexpected van issues... I had gotten so stressed about waste disposal that I have been delaying my exit from normal back to van living.

One other question... The liquid. Collect in a larger container and dump into a public toilet??
Where I put the liquid depends on where I am. If I’m out in the mountains, I pour it outside. If I’m in town, or somewhere with a bathroom available, I pour it into a toilet. Yeah, you’ll need some sort of container to collect the liquid; which one depends on taste. I keep four empty plastic peanut butter jars in a small rectangular plastic tub with lid. The tub fits into the step area of my van, so it won’t tip over while driving (or if I kicked it). The whole small tub fits into one of those reusable fabric grocery bags, making it easy to carry it into a store bathroom without looking too weird. The jars get cleaned daily of course. :)

BTW, the jar used while doing the other stuff should be a shorter one, so it doesn’t get in your way so much.

Went online and found this: https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Large-Powder-Waste-Treatment/dp/B000SOJRXE
Seems a bit pricey. How long does it last, and do you need the full scoop? I don't see the point of using it on the liquid portion, unless I don't have access to a place to safely dispose of the liquid.
I bought this one:
Mini Poo Powder Waste Treatment-55 Use (D556POW)
by Warehouse Values
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AEHYP8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZA7JH0XX1GF9STC1CAJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t use it for liquid, and not a whole scoop. Just enough to lightly cover the surface of the solids. So, the 55-use can has already lasted over 200 uses, and isn’t used up yet.

I’ve been living in my van for over three years now, and have been pretty comfortable over all. Certainly more comfortable than when I was stressing over money all the time! :)

I bought this one:
Mini Poo Powder Waste Treatment-55 Use (D556POW)
by Warehouse Values
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AEHYP8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZA7JH0XX1GF9STC1CAJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t use it for liquid, and not a whole scoop. Just enough to lightly cover the surface of the solids. So, the 55-use can has already lasted over 200 uses, and isn’t used up yet.

I’ve been living in my van for over three years now, and have been pretty comfortable over all. Certainly more comfortable than when I was stressing over money all the time! :)
Amen to that! 😁

Where I put the liquid depends on where I am. If I’m out in the mountains, I pour it outside. If I’m in town, or somewhere with a bathroom available, I pour it into a toilet. Yeah, you’ll need some sort of container to collect the liquid; which one depends on taste. I keep four empty plastic peanut butter jars in a small rectangular plastic tub with lid. The tub fits into the step area of my van, so it won’t tip over while driving (or if I kicked it). The whole small tub fits into one of those reusable fabric grocery bags, making it easy to carry it into a store bathroom without looking too weird. The jars get cleaned daily of course. :)

BTW, the jar used while doing the other stuff should be a shorter one, so it doesn’t get in your way so much.
Again, thank you for your clarity. I had decided about the "carry" but pondered the discretion side of it.

For urine, consider one of the Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent containers: very heavy plastic, bright yellow, wide mouth (pull the inside pour spout out, and toss it), built-in handle.