Disposing bathroom waste bags, where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
Bathroom waste bags disposal. Using a luggo loo seat on a bucket with a bag inside to catch solid waste. Going to tie up the bags and then put them in another bucket w\lid that will be outside.

Question is, where can I dispose of these bags? If they can go in a reg trash can great, but thinking they might have to be disposed of differently?

Remember, we throw used baby diapers and tampons in the regular trash, same thing here. Although it's nice if they're well sealed so no one else has to be exposed to our waste.

I try to take my human waste directly to the land transfer station but then I'm only doing it once every month to 6 weeks.

For frequent disposal, try using at least a dumpster instead of a trash container at, say, a convenience store. Yes, I know that people toss dirty baby diapers in there but that doesn't make it the good thing to do. A person has to handle the trash from the trash containers. A machine picks up the dumpster and then a machine dumps it in the land fill.

The only caveat to that being, I wouldn't use the dumpster at the Ehrenberg laundromat as I've lost track of how many times I've seen someone dumpster diving in it... :rolleyes:

6 weeks of do in your vehicle..lol..is there any room to sit? kidding.

RVTravel said:
6 weeks of do in your vehicle..lol..is there any room to sit? kidding.

I have a C head separating toilet. Works a whole lot differently than a luggable loo.... :D

There is more volume of plastic bags and cat litter than anything else with the LL.

AT she gots ta be mo fancy than the rest of us peons
lol Just kidding AT

In a bag, tie it off, put that bag in a quart ziplock bag. Mix your ziplocked package into your regular trash and throw it away when you go to town. That way it doesn't look like you're dumping a pile of nasty stuff out of one bucket.

I know some people like to stay camped out longer than me, but I don't see the need to save that stuff up...

It is not unusual for me to have 10+ days accumulation (thank God for GammaSeal lids); I try to find a dumpster for those loads.  When traveling, I just dump in trash when I gas up.  Poop bag is tied off, placed in another bag and stored in bucket.  To dispose, tie off second bag and dump.

My observation is that emptying outdoor garbage cans involves removing full bag, tying it off, and taking it to a dumpster.  Dumpster diving is always a risky endeavor.

-- Spiff

Dumpster Dumping is usually illegal if you don't get the permission of the business first, and you could be fined for Theft of Services and/or Illegal Dumping. They have to pay for the service, and they probably have MANY people doing it (esp in a place like Quartzsite or Ehrenberg). One place I worked, the dumpster was full one morning. An office-cleaning company was apparently in the habit of not wanting to pay dump fees, so they would use the dumpster at other businesses. One of the guys who worked in back went through some of the stuff and found discarded business forms and mail, and our boss called the business. It didn't happen again.

Note to self: Do not leave business forms or cards in my dump pile.

RVTravel said:

You can leave them, just mix them in with your poo bags, so they really have to want them.

I think places in Quartzsite are accustomed to vandweller trash as a cost of doing business. For me, there are only two types of places I leave my trash in their cans: Ones I'm doing business with, and ones that are never going to see me again.

RVTravel said:

[font=Verdana, Arial]And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."[/font]

Seems to be a bunch of us "Group W" people on this form!

Poo is probably one of the best things in a landfill! Feeds the worms and helps with the composting?! Just look at how green the grass is where the cows eat! ROFL :D

If you're concerned about the paper, buy the marine tissue (but wipe gently and quickly). :D

Home depot now has "waterproof" lids for their 5 gallon bucket. Might not be new but today was first day I saw them. The have a rubber "O" ring in the lid. Hoping waterproof = less smell. Also planned on dbl bagging and then into a big bag. Thnx!

I guess one has to get down to business (pun intended) and computer thickness of the plastics... mils or gauges... and then but the same large ziploc freezer bags! (my bad hahahha :D)

The grass is always greener over the septic tank. (As a child I never knew why.)

Cry said:
Home depot now has "waterproof" lids for their 5 gallon bucket. Might not be new but today was first day I saw them. The have a rubber "O" ring in the lid. Hoping waterproof = less smell. Also planned on dbl bagging and then into a big bag. Thnx!

The ones I saw there were labeled as gamma seal lids. I bought one, but I haven't used it yet, so I haven't looked at it carefully enough to know if it's an original or a knockoff.

----------

I'll mention one thing that I learned from living in other parts of the world where they do toilet business in different ways. 

In one case, the used toilet paper is not flushed, but just kept in a trash can in the corner of the bathroom or in an open plastic bag hanging from the wall. When I first saw that, I thought it was pretty barbaric and gross. 

Upon further review, time, and experience, I noticed a few things. One was the benefit of separating the paper trash from the organic waste. Although we don't do it in this country, we're beginning to be aware of it. The second thing I noticed was very counter-intuitive -- the used paper in the bag or garbage can didn't stink. Or maybe I should say it didn't stink for very long, with one major caveat: It is very important to leave it open to the air and not seal it tightly.

When I mentioned this to someone here locally, they said oh that may work for paper, but it will never work for the waste in the bags. Yes and no. 

If you left your used plastic waste bag completely open in your living space, you could reasonably predict what that would be like -- very stinky and unsanitary.  However, I've noticed that if I tie the bags and leave them in the bottom of the bucket, I get much less smell or no noticeable smell after a little while IF I either leave the luggable loo seat on or leave the bucket lid on but not sealed. 

The key in both cases is that neither is airtight.  I've also experimented recently with the reverse, putting the used bags in the bottom of the bucket tied up and sealing the lid as tightly as I can. When I took that lid off, it was very unpleasant in that bucket.

The proper amount of ventilation seems to be the key.

FWIW,

Tom

Latest posts