**** diet while on the road/shelf stable ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$5 all you can eat will probably be lower quality... but I could eat a helluva lot of bacon for $5. :D

yea we didn't go....line was like 50-60 in front of us and I said hell no to it all, ended up down the road for a good little bacon cheese omelet. oh well....I don't ever in my life wanna fight anyone for buffet food LOL ain't me LOL

As a rule I loathe buffets, hygiene is a foreign concept to too many people.

I've never done **** but I did a semi Atkins diet years ago. Counting every carb I ate and I had to eat about 8 times a day or more. I did lose weight on that diet quite a lot actually.

I havent read thru all of the thread and I also dont know what is ok and what isnt on ****, but I'll share my daily routine i followed.

For breakfast usually a can of corned beef hash crisped up on the stovetop and 4-6 eggs. Sometimes cheese sticks as well or cheese in the eggs.

On my 15 minute break at work about 2 cheese sticks and 2 carb master vanilla yogurts. (About 6 grams of carbs each if I remember) and sometimes if I was very hungry a pack or 2 of the cheap lunch meat.

Lunch was a couple of wraps using a high fiber low carb tortilla with about 2 packs each of cheap lunch meat and lots of sliced cheese. A few cheese sticks and a carbmaster yogurt.

Second 15 minute break was lunch meat cheese yogurt nuts whatever.

At the end of work I would eat jerky or lunch meat and cheese on the ride home.

For dinner usually some sort of meat or chicken like a hamburger steak with bacon and cheese maybe a fried egg on top. Like a bacon cheese burger and egg sans bread. Maybe some sausages on the side or scrambled eggs instead of an egg on the burger patty.

Usually before bed I'd eat at least once more. Cheese hard boiled eggs jerky nuts yogurt whatever.

I forget how many carbs I'd average in a day but it was very low. Nowadays I usually eat 1 meal a day or 2 small meals. Sometimes snacking on grapes nuts or occasionally cookies or whatever I want and I've lost 30 pounds since last summer eating the way I do now.

way to go X

your menu sounds fine to me.

I noticed I go thru very not hungry times where I require almost 0 food for days then bam...I must eat my protein like crazy....a whole rack of ribs easily LOL or a few cheeseburgers with a massive side of garlic butter shrimp and once refueled, I can go days again on low eating.

One thing on 'extreme low carb' you must eat when you must eat or you are just depleted to the max very fast....but what I do love is all the days I feel no hunger at all, just coast thru without food being a thought. I love that. For me on rare occasions I use the thin flatbread wrap thingys I buy to make a cheap pizza for taste etc. Those wraps can save ya when your mind wanders to bad for ya breads like pizza crust etc and you are just handkering for it.

you did great losing 30!! If you 'google **** plan' they 'allow' some nuts and such and are more low carb being only whole food items etc. They give you a do or don't but I never go by that. I am more near 0 carb so I meat and cheese my life and it works great for me! I lost 60 over a few years and ain't going back to carby icky land ever :)

Anymore I don't do the low carb deal I eat what I like. Yesterday and today I had pasta. Lately I have been craving sweets which is odd for me but I allow myself to have them.

These days i just eat 1 meal a day usually. And i do have a few adult beverages they arent low carb either. But I do forget to eat occasionally. Most of the time that happens I make myself eat. When I was doing low carb I had to eat all of the time but I was exercising a lot and working hard so I'm sure I needed the fuel.

tittiger said:
Sprouting and microgreens might be something to think about.   

I've done sprouting for years, microgreens for a year, and now I am starting a microgreens business.  Fantastic food, incredibly nutritious, and really tasty.  Probably the only way besides foraging to have fresh veggies on the road for extended periods without going to town.

Re staying on ****, I worked into it by slow degrees.  I got a **** breath meter and that helped me a lot.  It gave me the confidence that I was on the right path and let me know how much my little indulgences might have affected things.  

The easiest way to stay on **** is with occasional fasting.  If you've been on **** for a while, there's just not that much sugar left in you.  The occasional fast will clean out whatever you've got very quickly.  I find it very easy to stay in **** now, sometimes even when I indulge ... which I virtually never want to do.  For one, I don't like **** flu, second, I am having so much success why ask for trouble, and third, everything tastes way sweeter to me now, so most things taste way too sweet.  Sweets are just not that fun anymore.

Anyway, I was fasting every Thursday for a while, and now do it probably every other Thursday.  I used to go out of ketosis easily.  Now it just doesn't happen.

I was 224, occasionally swinging up to 228, six months ago.  Yesterday I was 190.  I feel vastly better.  And I just doubled how many pants I have because I can wear the old ones again.

Hey Roamer, I’ve been eating accidental (ran out of everything but meat and cheese) carnivore the last few days... funny thing, I dropped some weight without fasting!

My big meal is a late breakfast. I found some store sausage pattys that I pre cook and then steam to reheat. They stay fresh tasting in the cooler this way when travelling. Also couple eggs, avocado if I have it and cream in my tea for extra fat. I also put matcha and cinnamon in my tea to stay healthy. Second meal is raw veg or salad, and some genoa if I need the fat and protein. Pecans are also great to add fat to a salad and they are local nuts.  -crofter

darkknight said:
Tried **** for a week only. I can't stay away from complex carbs.

You didn't stay on it long enough to become "****-adapted", i.e. allow for your metabolism to gear up to use ketone-bodies for fuel.  The enzymatic profile has to change, the gut bacteria community needs to shift, etc., which takes a little time.  Eating something salty (and low carb) like pickles helps make it easier.

MrNoodly said:

Two assumptions of the article are incorrect.  First, fat does not cause clogged arteries, inflammation does.  Cholesterol and calcium form a plaque in response to vascular injury due to inflammation.   High blood sugar and veggetable oils high in omega-6 FAs relative to omega-3 FAs are inflammatory.  

The second faulty assumption is that saturated fat is bad for you.   The current research says otherwise.    

https://drbeckycampbell.com/why-fat-is-not-the-enemy/

Dingfelder said:
<snip>

Note:  diabetics and some others, it's different, and I wouldn't presume to tell people whose blood sugar or other factors are severely out of balance that they should start taking chances based on what someone on the internet says.  But for people with the ordinary problems or no problems at all, **** is more a process of eliminating some bad things, and eating more fat, than adding things in and making your life far more complex.  Throw out the starches, eat more fats, take in a tiny amount of extra salt to keep your electrolytes balanced, and you'll be on your way. 

Although I do agree that at least a little fasting is by far the quickest way to get into it.

I can speak to the diabetic angle (I am T2D).  I lowered my A1c from 11.6 to 5.7% on strict therapeutic **** (20g total carb/day, almost all of that from veggies).  I had to work with my doctor to adjust my medications when I started ****, as I had some hypoglycemic episodes, and ended up dropping everything except metformin.  Do work with your doctor if you are on glucose-lowering medications, don't try to adjust dosages yourself!  I'm not a doctor, and am not recommending anything for anyone else.   **** works for me, ymmv.

I tried coconut butter to add fat. It is yummy off a spoon but does not spread. Any recipe ideas anyone?  -crofter

Almond paste, Philly cream cheese or mascopone mixed together with coconut flour rolled into balls and coated with desiccated coconut. Yummy **** balls.

Sometimes I really, really want crunch. I recently got cheddar cheese crisps and parmesan cheese crisps at wm. Both of these varieties are incredibly crunchy. My fav is Quest tortilla style protein chips nacho cheese. 5 carbs in 1.1 oz bag. In the protein section near wm pharmacy. I've been told that sugar free beef jerky is in that section although I haven't found it yet.
I'm not too crazy about eggs but a cheese omelet with sour cream and picante sauce is really good as are deviled eggs with chopped up olives.