cheese, shelf stable (no fridge)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanForNow said:
As your photo illustrates, Spam tastes best when it is well fried on both sides, to the point of charring. It is a mystery to me how people can stand to eat mushy, tasteless, uncharred Spam.

Hail SPAM-sibling!
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I buy SPAM Singles whenever they're on sale in stores, or if my inventory gets low, from Amazon in a bulk pack of 24. :)
Singles are perfect for fridge-less van/etc dwellers. :)

The first surprise with my van was a slight (but significant for my TBI hyper-sensory issues) lingering smoking smell. I networked to find ideas how to mask it, and ended up frying SPAM & onions for several meals.
That was the second thing I ever cooked in my van. :)

The only time I'll eat it un-charred, is lack of time or to reduce items to cook.
In the pasta dish above (with diced tomatoes and FD Mozzarella), I was lazy and didn't fry the second batch of Treet (which is, of course, vastly inferior to SPAM).

Say the word, and I'll post up some stuff to the SPAM thread, which appears to be severely dormant. :)

Kaylee said:
LOL!!!
I'd never really thought about room-temp vs chilled cheese. Definitely more Van Dweller friendly!
As you can see, I'm particularly partial to melted gooey cheese.
I trust that meets your preferences? :)
Well it's another cheese in the pocket day, no fuel or electric used & taste great, can't beat that! :p

VanForNow said:
It is a mystery to me how people can stand to eat mushy, tasteless, uncharred Spam.
Nothing mysterious about that.

Too lazy to bother getting out a pan and don't want to wash it afterwards. Most likely they eat it right out of the can.

If you were to cook it up for them they would of course be very happy eating fried Spam and enjoy it a lot more. You might even get a marriage proposal for being such an excellent cook.

Velveeta keeps without refrigeration, it's almost cheese :)

When we used to long X-countries in antique planes we'd wire lunch, spam, chicken in foil, etc to the engine & have a hot lunch. It never was raw just things that needed heating up. Link to an ad for my last plane a 1st year Bonanza, same make & model & 20 serial #s away so in the factory & a sister ship to the one Buddy Holly died in. Cruised 175 at 20 over 20 at 10gph. https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/
Had a nickname of the Doctor Killer as Doctors have to always be somewhere & would fly into storms. So easy to fly, hardest part was getting it down to 100 to let the gear down & lower the flaps. Very comfortable forcrodd country as it had a throw over yoke so the front passenger didn't have the yoke hitting them in the chest & the pedels would do flat to the floor so their feet were comfortable. Had an ice tray in the ceiling you froze a block into & opened a flap for air conditioning. 2 main & an aux tank for 1000 mile range.

highdesertranger said:
that's a good point becida,  what is Velveeta?  highdesertranger

A processed cheese product....

Thank you becida for attempting to educate the culinary-impaired. ;)

HDR:
Velveeta is to real cheese, roughly as SPAM is to real deli meat. :)
It's highly processed, enormously tastee, and less than healthy.
It's also shelf stable and available in smaller generic pouches, so it's a great comfort food to have in one's van pantry.

I posted a picture on the previous page of "deluxe mac & cheese":
mac_spamo_02.jpg

See the previous page for it prepared with SPAM & onions. :D

If you go to the mac & cheese section of any major grocery store, you should be able to find Velveeta brand "deluxe mac & cheese", or the generic equivalent (usually about a dollar less). You should also find Velveeta brand mac&cheese nukeable cups for around $1.25 if you'd like to try it quickly with minimal commitment.

Here's an insanely easy and very tasty mac and cheese "from scratch" recipe, which uses non-powdered cheese. I originally saw it on PBS on "America's Test Kitchen", and found several similar recipes online.

There's only five (5) simple ingredients: water, milk, pasta, American cheese, cheddar cheese.

I've made this three times in my van, and found it easy (I'd previously made it a few times in s&b).
It's very tolerant of guesstimated amounts.
It consistently takes about 12 grams of butane, on my GasOne (GS-800P) portable camping stove.

Some genius food hacker figured out that there's an emulsifier in "American" cheese that keeps the sauce smooth. It's a lot simpler than using flour to make a "roux".
Do not use American "singles". Instead, go to the deli counter and buy that American cheese. If you ask them to slice it as thin as possible, you won't have to bother shredding it. :)

Here's the recipe, scaled down for one person:
4 ounces pasta (I've always used whole grain)
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cups water

2 ounces American cheese, shredded or sliced

2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
(optional) Parmesan cheese
(optional) panko bread crumbs fried in a bit of oil

1. Measure pasta, milk and water into pot.
Flame on (leave at high), and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low (i.e. fluid is gently bubbling).
Continue cooking, stirring often, until pasta is cooked, about 5 to 9 minutes.

2. Add American cheese, and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.

3. Turn off heat/flame, stir in cheddar. Cover pot, let stand for 5 minutes.

4. (optional) Fry panko bread crumbs with parmesan cheese in a bit of oil, add.
Or just shake some shredded parm on at the end. :)

Yes, there's no straining. :)

Technically, all the recipes I saw gave traditional instructions (i.e. bring fluid to boil, then add pasta), but when I was in a b&s, I experimented and could not taste any difference.

Here's real in-van pics:

Simmering:
mac_healthy_03.jpg

Pasta has cooked enough, just added the American Cheese:
mac_healthy_04.jpg

Ready to eat:
mac_healthy_05.jpg

Closeup of the richly sauced pasta:
mac_healthy_07.jpg

That pasta is whole grain "bow tie". It's the remainder of the least expensive whole grain kind that I had ordered while stuck without transport during my epic engine death.

While in s&b, I did make it with panko bread crumbs, which bumped up the flavor, but haven't bothered in my van. A few shakes of Parmesan is a nice addition, but forgot to do that last night and it still tasted great. :)

I've made it with a range of cheddar, from "medium" thru "extra sharp".
Will experiment with non-cheddar, soon.

The last three times I've made this, I've used powdered milk. Without a fridge, it's too much hassle to keep anything but small expensive bottles in my van.
The good news is, there was no degradation in taste. I couldn't tell the difference. :)

Next, I cracked open a couple of #2 cans of freeze dried veggies: Green Peas, Sweet Yellow Corn.
Their main contribution is improving the health factor. :)

Here's what the ingredients look like before adding water:
mac_healthy_08.jpg

I've now made this enough that I measured the pasta, just guesstimated the milk powder & veg, then added enough water to somewhat more than cover everything else.

Here's the final ready-to-eat:
mac_healthy_09.jpg

I was down to just one picture left in my camera, so that doesn't really showcase the veggies as well as the above pic. The quantity is somewhere in between. :)

(That's for Queen, to prove it can be even healthier! :) )

If I have enough time later today, I'll upload even-more-cheese options pics. :)

Completely forgot about spray cheese!

Here's Dollar General's house brand (front of can beside cheesified-crackers, nutrition & ingredients label):
cheese_spray_cv_01a.jpg

Here's a closeup of the cheese deployed on a (low sodium) Triscuits cracker:
cheese_spray_cv_03.jpg

The generic brands cost about two and a half dollars for about a half pound of, um, cheese food "product".
Name brand is about a dollar or so more.
I can't tell the difference. :)

Shelf life is about one year. I have not yet stress tested much beyond that.
One big plus is that you can start a can, and it auto-seals (i.e. the product hardens in place & plugs the nozzle), and keeps very well. I started this particular can about 3 months before I finished it. :)

Nutrition is... "meh".
Morale factor is decent to excellent, depending on your nutrition & cheese orientations. :)

There's a small selection of different "flavors", which pretty much taste the same, to me.
One possible exception is Bacon infused. :)
I have one can I bought (on sale) last fall, and plan to open it, soon. I'll report back on it.
I plan to try it in grilled cheese. :)

In general, I don't stockpile this, and usually only use about one can per one to two years.
If I see it on sale, I'll buy a single can, though now that I'm a dweller I might bump that up to two.

In the days before electricity and refrigeration the people who were doing the "European tour" would stop in Italy and buy wheels of parmesan cheese for their travels as it keeps without refrigeration.

do you want to hear a story about cheese in a can bomb. sure you do.

so we were traversing the Mojave Trail from east to west. we stopped for lunch, it was so long ago I really can't remember exactly where.

I had the tail gate of my truck open and we were using it like a serving table. the truck had a carpet kit that was about 1 foot above the tail gate.

my girl friend and I were eating cheese in a can and crackers. so there we where happy as can be enjoying the time and place. one of us sat the can of cheese on top of the carpet kit.

well somehow the can of cheese got knocked off the carpet kit and hit the corner of the tail gate just right. KABOOM I kid you not that can blew up. it was like a claymore mine, everything in it's path got doused in cheese shrapnel. I turned right before it hit so I had it on one side of my body from boots to hair. girl friend saw it falling and tried to grab it, she got a full frontal, same thing from boots to hair. there was a semi circle around the back of my truck where everything got nailed. it exploded in the direction away from the truck everything in that semi circle for about 15 feet out had cheese on it. bushes, rocks, us, everything.

so standing there looking at each other we starting laughing uncontrollably. girlfriend grabbed a cracker and scooped some cheese off the side of my face. needless to say that stuff is super hard to clean off of hair and clothes without a shower and washing clothes. it's super oily. I think you could do a lube job with it.

highdesertranger

oh almost forgot the Mojave Trail(Road)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Road

highdesertranger said:
no keeper I should have added that was at least 30 years ago. LOL highdesertranger

Ah, but was she worth keeping?!?
A sense of humor in the face of a cheese bomb, is definitely one of the true signs of awesome... at least, it should be up here in the Land of Cheeseheads. :)
(aka Wisconsin)

P.S. Twice I've had the privilege of inadvertently becoming involved with Keepers, but have always known that my own Path led in a different direction.
I still feel privileged to have fallen for/by even one awesome person. :)
You clearly still have warm thoughts about Lady Cheese, even three decades later. That's a Good Thing in my book. :)

So funny HDR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never speak in a negative way about any former lady friends. actually I have fond memories of them. highdesertranger