Decorating for holidays.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
I’ve really only seen one full time person do it (Jim in Denver had a cute Christmas display).

At RV parks I’ve seen a few but they were weekender people. Anyone else decorate? Fall? Turkey Day? Halloween? Christmas? Show us your photos!

I don't have room to haul around decorations.

My countertop and desk space in my very small travel trailer are normally occupied with stuff while while working on a variety of task while I am setup in camp. I do have one decorative piece I  I put together for a marketing example. I decided to hang onto it when I downsized but at the moment it is stowed away in the my tow vechicle to keep it protected.  The buildings on it are under an inch high. I designed them and I cut them and sell them as ready to assemble kits in my Etsy store. Here is a link to the photo, it is a snowy fairy village on a mushroom. I have it inside a plastic dome when I put it on display. 
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZFkvG4CapdU/Un5h82covHI/AAAAAAAAD9o/gw0d2V_HRN0/s1600/front2.jpg

I could of course put up string of battery powered, colored LED lights and hang a real greenery wreath for the scent. Also collect a few pine cones to tie to the wreath. That might be a nice sight and smell to enjoy. No need to store the wreath and those light strings are very small and not expensive. but when running errands into town I will be seeing decorations most everywhere I go.

I live in the trailer and as I travel I'll pick up a decoration or three for Autumn & Christmas. Space is at a premium so when the season has passed I'll throw them away. If I can spend $10 to $20 on take out, I certainly can put a few bucks into the Dollar Store or Walmart coffers to decorate and create a nice visual for the Holiday. I have no pictures though.

My only decoration in my sticks and bricks is a tiny one foot tall fake Christmas tree with a string of a hundred lights. I take it along whenever we wander around the holidays.

Headache and the kids had trees too. There were quite a few on the road back that decorated even more than I did.

IMG_2591.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 12
crofter said:
You are hitting all the markets with that one maki, and it is cute too. I would expect it to fly off the shelves, but you might have to paint it red and green instead of natural.
~crofter
I just made it to inspire people to buy the kits. It worked and over the years thstbeffort has sold a lot of kis to people who wanted to copy that project.  As to me, I do not enjoy putting glitter on things. It sticks to everything and it would be a disaster in a tiny travel trailer.  I am not a grinch but its been years since I did any real decorating. Mostly because the men I have shared living space with over the years hated Christmas other than getting invited to a feast or being given presents.

But I plan to enjoy some of the Southwest influenced holiday decorations and food this year. I grew up in San Antonio for the years before I was a teen. My idea of a terrific Christmas eve dinner is great Tamales!!

Hmmmm

Person I camp with has a Kitchenaid stand mixer for the masa, a instantpot for the cooking or I have a 7 quart canner to steam them in. I still have three quart sized bags of fresh Hatch green chili's so all we need is the rest of the ingredients and helping hands. I probably couldn't resist making a batch or two of Pozole while we were at it.

When I was very young and in the military I rented a room from a Spanish speaking family in South Tucson. Over the holidays they would fix food and everyone would visit each other eating a little at each house with the host who was obligated to eat with those visiting. I having only had a little Spanish in high school and always looking forward to the meals they fixed for me when I would come in from several days duty in the missile silos, came home on that day of celebration to find a big dish of chicken enchiladas which was my favorite. Matching me bite for bite was my host while her daughters giggled and finally told me their mother couldn’t eat any more but didn’t want to be impolite. She looked like she was going to be sick the rest of the night as several guests showed up later and I felt really bad, but boy were they good! I found a large tumble weed (about 4’ in diameter) and a medium one (about 3’ in diameter) and a small one (about 18” in diameter) and stacked them up next to a cactus that had arms to make a western snow man then wrapped them in solar rope lights with a straw hat that looked pretty good out front that year. I still occasionally build one at Christmas.

Yum Jim. I can help. I loveeeee tamales. Yes Doug, I do remember your lights!

I only had a tiny tree on my table.

When I’m in Kentucky for the holidays I do decorate however. I’m looking forward to a big display for Halloween.

Are you gonna wrap the motor home like a pumpkin! Put a skeleton in the driver’a seat! Hit the car alarm every time a kid goes by! Sounds like fun!Lol!!!

Nah. Won’t be decorating the motorhome. We live in it full time and I moved my niece into the house. We will decorate the front yard and possibly the graveyard.

We are in the driveway in the summer months until we get a rental renovated. Then we won’t be stuck here in the summer.

Got a small skeleton and he will be the centerpiece in the front yard.

ad5e486b3ac5004bebe085e8e5aa4ed7.jpg

Ah those holidays starting with Halloween and then Thanksgiving and then Christmas. My favorite decorations are Halloween candy, thanksgiving pies, and Christmas cookies. So much for the diet. I don’t do the Halloween thing but that skeleton is neat. And I love those witches they put on poles that look like they ran right into the thing. For somebody who doesn’t Decorate for any holiday I sure do appreciate seeing some of the better ones others do. Lotta people in my community consider it wrong to put up Christmas decorations but then we packed thefamily up in a big van and take them around to see all the Christmas lights. That’s like the Mennonite/Amish dilemma we had at a farmers market I worked at every year. They announced there was free Halloween candy for the children and of course we don’t celebrate Halloween, but it’s free candy, but we don’t celebrate Halloween, but it’s free candy, but we don’t celebrate Halloween, but it’s free candy… God bless the nomads as we gain weight in the next couple of months.

HDR. He came from Home Depot. Extremely hard to find and some people that did get them are putting them on eBay and selling them for 3 or 4 times what they bought them for. Mine isn’t going anywhere.

The eyes are way cool:

You know in the last few years they found mounds that they thought were ceremonial but turned out to be graves of an ancient Native American tribe that were over 7’ tall in eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia. There is one in an amusement park in Kenova West Virginia that hasn’t been disturbed I used to sit on waiting for my cousins to finish the Whirlagig ride.

Latest posts