Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super glue might not hold. We're going to use JB Weld, much stronger. Replacing crankshaft is a bit out of budget. Actually, all this is. We're gonna do what we can with what we got.

Haha, space heaters? These girls are tougher than I am! You should have seen how insulted they were when I offer them gloves to work with!

Women the backbone of America....Don't know about Canada....good day A

Women are indeed the backbone of America. I think the backbone of Canada is politeness.  :p

Crankshaft was a pain to line up straight and set right with the JB Weld. We'll let it set up for a few days.

50833983827_7a412f95c8_c.jpg

[size=small]In the meantime, we're gonna need some new bearings. It looks like with the low level of oil, the main bearings were getting some oil, but not enough volume to get oil to the rod bearings.[/size]

50833899266_61fcc89f36_m.jpg

[size=small]Good news is that the rods and pistons are in great shape![/size]

My Brother-in-law is a mechanic at pioneer diesel and I asked him about it and he says putting the crank in repaired with JB-Weld you are taking the chance of ruining the block when it lets loose and he says it will let loose.

Ditto ..get a new crank at any and all costs... IMNHO Good Luck again...

If you're not replacing, I'd look at getting it welded.
Granted JB is some pretty great stuff, this isn't something I'd trust it for.

Wasn't me, i just stepped out of the room.
Whomever smelt it, dealt it.

Now if this was a Flight of the Phoenix scenario by all means JB away.

Hmmm, we're not quite in the same pickle as Flight of the Phoenix. Too much pressure from the inter webs to try out this old crankshaft repair. We'll go ahead and try to find a replacement crankshaft...  :p

After opening up the engine, tearing it completely down, we've come up with the conclusion that yes, it was very low on oil. Enough to maybe have enough pressure to get oil to the main bearings, but not enough to get up to the rod bearings, reason why the mains were fine but the rods were toasted and worn very prematurely. The long dipstick was surely the cause for that and this has been an issue for a long time. The broken crankshaft I can't fully blame on the oil. There just wasn't enough drag from the toasted bearings to do that. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's an inferior crankshaft? It's the only part on the engine that says made in Brazil? Who knows. We move forward.

50839134457_b9926829c3_c.jpg

[size=small]To minimize the risk of blowing up any more crankshafts, we're throwing this big bad boy on there. Did lots of research on the subject and it's stupid to have a regular pulley on a crankshaft, and not a harmonic balancer. To go one step beyond a regular harmonic balancer, we're going with a Fluidampr. Everyone on the forums swear by them. All my mechanic buddies recommend them. Not only will it save your crankshaft from blowing up, they apparently smooth out the engine. And if you ever drove a Cummins, you know what I'm talking about. This engine hiccup was not fun, and I don't want to do it again, for a very long time. So a little bit of extra money for a lot of insurance, we did done it.[/size]

I totally agree on the Fluidampr. great product. they should be on all high performance and diesel engines. highdesertranger