Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Price is right for what it is. Cummins still makes those engines overseas. But nobody is open right now, or they don't respond, they have terrible reviews, can't ship to USA, etc. Hoping that this week I will have better luck with the holidays being over and such. Found an awesome guy in Canada that deals with these. But the EPA won't let his engines clear customs. Silly...

Two years ago while living in Sacramento, I was offered one of those brand new 4BTs for $3,000 by a local head and block shop.  They bought 10 of them and offered me one at cost.

I was in the process of moving to Oregon and didn't want to have to deal with moving a 750 pound long block, not to mention storing one as well.  Fortunately I haven't needed it either, as mine only had 144K miles on it.

$6K seems high for what it is.   I paid $3,300 for the whole step van in good running condition.

ckelly78z said:
I would start out with replacing all fluids/filters everywhere;
-trans oil
-engine oil
-rear diff lube
-radiator coolant
-brake fluid/flush
-p steering fluid
-oil, fuel, air filters

Then I would tackle the rubber;
-check tire date codes (over 7 years replace)
-belts
-hoses
-wipers
-door seals
-vacuum lines

After that, I would look at all replacables;
-brake pads/discs/drums
-coolant thermostat
-water pump
-having injectors cleaned
-exhaust
-brake lines
-battery/electrical connections/grounds
-lighting/wiring

Spending a few more hundred $$ upfront, and getting it completely reliable will save you potential thousands $$ later at a repair shop, not to mention the hassle of a breakdown in a desolate area, or being without a place to stay while in the shop. You can build out the van however you want, but securing it's reliability is paramount to keeping the good times going....have fun !

I couldn't have put it better than this! ^

66788 said:
Two years ago while living in Sacramento, I was offered one of those brand new 4BTs for $3,000 by a local head and block shop.  They bought 10 of them and offered me one at cost.

I was in the process of moving to Oregon and didn't want to have to deal with moving a 750 pound long block, not to mention storing one as well.  Fortunately I haven't needed it either, as mine only had 144K miles on it.

$6K seems high for what it is.   I paid $3,300 for the whole step van in good running condition.

Oh geeze, they are going for twice that now! I know it's too much money to fix the engine, but we kinda just have to, even though the engine will cost more than what was paid for the van in the first place. Aggravating! But tis is life...

AeroNautiCal said:
I couldn't have put it better than this! ^

Yep, the truth. To be fair, we did about half of that stuff. We're still working on stuff when this happened! I'm paranoid about all the dipsticks out there now!

Engine out of the van, time to dig into this mess and make something go right.

50802279437_5e7ef5d59f_c.jpg

It looks so lonely in there...

Yesterday I rode in a Fedex step van, diesel engine was noisy As was ride on highway couldn't hear radio, jump seat very uncomfortable and noticeable dust every where; good luck to you and yours thanks for sharing. Helps me make up my mind.

The secret is to ride with the side doors open so the dust can get out! And sit on a bucket instead of the jump seat, much more comfortable. What? Eh? I couldn't hear that last part about the quietness of the cab.

Got the engine in the garage.

50811689173_b48f3147b2_c.jpg

[size=small]Time to tear this down and see what the issue is.[/size]

50812433181_6b9b0cbdb8_c.jpg

[size=small]Took off the clutch and flywheel. Started a "parts to keep" pile.[/size]

50811689448_72cbe809c6_m.jpg

[size=small]Showing off our confidence that we know what we're doing.[/size]

50812545222_6d551f6b80_c.jpg

[size=small]Diamonds, no wait, turbochargers are a girls best friend![/size]

50812433671_fbb0b99b94_c.jpg

[size=small]Flipping things over and going in.[/size]

50812545527_fb230f5ce6_c.jpg

[size=small]Ah, there she is! Crankshafts are supposed to be one piece.[/size]

50811690008_5521f3f821_c.jpg

[size=small]She still "ran", but it was very violent and broke both engine mounts.[/size]

Zmann said:
Yesterday I rode in a Fedex step van, diesel engine was noisy As was ride on highway couldn't hear radio, jump seat very uncomfortable and noticeable dust every where;  good luck to you and yours thanks for sharing. Helps me make up my mind.
They don’t have to be noisy the only difference between a Mercedes and a nissan is the the quality of the sound deadening. Hey Pog if you want to raise money for your project you could change your name to one gun.

ah just weld her up.

seriously it's a bummer. did it take the block with it?

highdesertranger

I uh, um, lost all my guns in a terrible boating accident. Yes, I don't have any of them anymore. So don't bother looking.

Hmmmm, weld her up you say? That will take several cans of brake cleaner to the oil off in order to get things to stick together. But we'll take it into consideration! And the block is good somehow. We can rebuild her. We have the technology!

I didn't need to put a LOL after weld her up, did I? LOL

great news about the block.

highdesertranger

Dug deeper into our mess...

50817660861_aeee926c94_c.jpg

[size=small]Went looking for a killer dowel pin.[/size]

50817766547_08108128f1_m.jpg

[size=small]And taking suggestions from others to fix the crankshaft, we're gonna give it a whirl. At this point, anything is worth a shot.[/size]

Super glue and duck tape, if duck tape cant fix it its broke!!!

Half the battle is finding the problem what say you about replacing said crankshaft?

Can you say space heaters ....she looks like she could use one