Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I payed $3,200 for a rebuilt 350 Chevy with a 7 year no fault warranty that included everything necessary to install it. You will probably spend almost as much changing it over as fixing what you have but then you have to consider what happens down the road if something breaks and your ability to do the work in my case I’ll be paying labor so a huge difference for me. It all comes down to what you want, what you can afford, what you can do yourself and how much time you have. I worked on diesels enough to learn I really don’t like them as well. Having to deal with the high compression fuel injection, engine cooling systems, diesel fuel, dual batteries, glow plugs and large amounts waste oil just wasn’t worth the extra fuel mileage and towing power for me. I’d rather lighten up loads and stop for fuel more often.

The picture of your beautiful rig behind a tow truck almost brought tears to my eyes. Maybe somehow mentally I was seeing my van where your step van is. Either way I have no mechanic ability and no money so I’m offering no help but best wishes. Whatever they’re worth.

I don't want this to turn into a petrol vs diesel thread. Each has it's own merits and pitfalls. Personally, I enjoy the simplicity and ease of maintenance/repair of the old inline diesels. I'm not a computer engineer, so all my vehicles have always been as tech-free as possible. I'm a gear-head and ok with tinkering with my hands. Yes, this engine blew up, but all things considering, it's a tough little bugger. 400k miles and been running 6 months without enough oil, that's pretty incredible. And only running on 2 or 3 cylinders with a 2-piece crankshaft, it still got me off the highway and another mile or two. Due to this engines history of reliability and longevity and what I put it through, we're going to stick with the same setup.

It was very sad when the engine blew up. Although I didn't cry, I was mostly shouting all the vocabulary that I don't normally use with my mother. We already used up all of our budget on this build, so no going back. Just need to go rob a bank or cook like Walter White, which I need a running van for. However we find the funding, hopefully we'll be back on track soon.

I’m sort of curious as to what happened to all those old engines. Did they get to point they weren’t reusable? There were thousands of them clattering around in panel van fleets. I wonder if they weren’t used in any military equipment or marine applications as well although those are usually foreign manufacturers. There has to be a group or an individual that bought up all the old pieces waiting to sell them to the highest bidder that wants to restore one, there almost always is.

As clever as you seem to be with finding discarded gems I have no doubt this will Rise from the ashes better then before. I see step vans sitting parked up in many yards used as storage sheds or garden ornaments, you might want to send out messages to all your friends and relations to keep an eye out for them, then start knocking on doors. 4 BT s are around, and a great platform. Bummer, however shit happens, no one died and you still have your health, so many options, the whole front usually come off these vans so not a hard engine to replace, Good luck.

There is a rebuilder in Denver with a long block price of a little under $3400 but a $1500 core charge and doesn’t include injectors or pump, warranty is dependent on application. The is a new OEM one I found for a little under $10,000 but it has a lot of added charges as I believe they want a core or $2,500? Rebuilds appear to be anywhere in between.

We'll see what happens. Not so sure I can find an engine in the trash like I find everything else, haha. But ya'll are right, it could always be worse. I've been looking on the internet for companies that sell these engines. I just don't want to end up with a piece of junk that will cause us problems down the road. If anyone knows any leads for such an engine, please let us know. Yes, I know these engines are expensive, that's just the nature of the beast. But hey, that's why they invented credit card debt right?

No that’s not why they invented credit card debt. They invited credit card debt to rip you off and get you enslaved to them. But they are a necessary evil sometimes there’s no other way to turn. But they weren’t made for us that system was made for them. The days of an honest man being a banker and making a reasonable profit are over.

Haha, true words. Cash will always be king. But in dire times, you need to stay ahead of the debt by applying and using credit cards to pay off the other credit cards!

Save enough cash for a good bankruptcy lawyer or sell your truck to HDR but make him pay for the pulley! Lol!!! This is exactly why many here have a hard time answering the question “ Did you choose to become a nomad or were you financially forced to do it?” In my opinion.

P of G - I know a lot about this because of experience. Bad experience. One of the reasons my wife left is because the way I handled finances for years. Getting new credit cards to pay off the old ones is a sign of trouble ahead. I’m not condemning you, for some of us there’s no other choice. Lots of things I do not because it’s a great decision it’s because it’s the only way it can be done. My grandma used to have a saying “it’s expensive to be poor”. You buy the cheaper of something and it wears out sooner so you buy another cheaper one and it wears out then you buy the third cheaper one and it wears out. If you had to cash to buy the better one in the first place you save money. The problem is the first word in that sentence “if”. Most of the people who get in over their heads on credit card that aren’t people who are ignorant of what’s going to happen. They were just put in a place where there was no other way to make it happen. Sometimes we have to do what we know is wrong in order to keep living. Darn shame but true.

This year has been tough for everybody. And that is a very hard question to answer. Maybe the answer can be a little bit of both? On one hand, maintaining and repairing a house on wheels does cost money, but on the other hand, owning a house or apartment will cost even more money. And in the moment, the apartment is cheap, easy, and convenient. But is it really? There are so many variables. I did the math on a napkin, and even with fixing the van and going forth with living in it, I'm still way ahead of the game if I were to get an apartment for a few months. And what about getting a apartment for a few years? Holy smokes that's a lot of wasted money! Ya'll are onto something with the whole living in a van down by the river thing!

And yes, many times buying cheap does cost more. Which is why I want to get quality engine and not do another engine, or 2, or 3. And I'm not really going to get multiple credit cards to pay off other cards, that's a terrible strategy! Robbing a bank is a much better plan! Haha. Also, I don't plan on getting married or having kids, so those are huge expenses I won't have to deal with! I don't know about money, I'll figure something out.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Yes, I know this will certainly break the bank to fix. This was supposed to be a long term vehicle for me, which is why we picked the Cummins engine in the first place. So if it were to be fixed, I don't think a cheap Jasper replacement will do, and I don't want to gamble on a used engine. Thinking new/rebuilt engine, just need to find a good place to get one from. I'm sure a 6BT could fit, but that's a lot of extra work with engine mounts, moving the rest of the drivetrain back, exhaust, driveshaft upgrade, etc. The lil 4BT is enough for this vehicle. I'm ok taking my time up hills and such. Don't plan on towing anything. I also enjoy the crazy good fuel economy of the 4 cylinder. Not sure how to pay for it, but I don't think I can go any other direction. Have too much invested in this project.

I wished it wasn't as bad as it is, but it is. I've snapped crankshafts in engines before. I think this is my third one. My last one was a 6.2L diesel. That was my fault, I drove it too hard, too many rpm's. It was also a cast crank. I was going easy on this one though. Going down the highway at a nice comfortable 65mph. The reason it blew is a very silly one. One reason that nobody in a brazillion years would think of. Completely preventable. And I'm still kicking myself in the butt for. Very frustrating and disappointing. But when life hands you lemons, you make lemon margaritas...

A side note:  You said you were going down the highway nice and easy at 65 mph.   My P35 4BT has a factory governor on it and it won't do more than  56 mph unless you are coasting downhill in neutral.

There are a few performance mods that give extra horsepower, including fuel pump adjustments and removing the governor.  Yours may have been modified, which could account for premature failure.

Hmmm, I'm assuming your van doesn't have overdrive? 4th gear, yes, the governor doesn't allow it to go past 58mph. 5th gear overdrive allows it to go past 70mph. I like governors on these things, don't want a hot rod.

66788 said:
A side note:  You said you were going down the highway nice and easy at 65 mph.   My P35 4BT has a factory governor on it and it won't do more than  56 mph unless you are coasting downhill in neutral.

A governor (mechanical or electronic) on a diesel engine is not the same as an engine or exhaust brake. If you are descending a steep enough grade, especially in a heavily-loaded vehicle, the engine can easily over-rev if kept in gear (or dropped a gear) and float the valves (possibly impacting the piston) if speed is not kept under control. 

A variation of this abuse can happen if downshifts in a busy urban setting are mis-managed and the engine is allowed (or forced) to over-rev.

Oh yea, gotta watch those downshifts. New engine will have tachometer, pyrometer, and boost gauges. Need to keep the engine out of the 3000rpm range, lord have mercy if it goes over 4000rpm.

I guess I really am old. I seem to remember shifting at 1,800 RPM with a diesel and getting my hand slapped if I went over!

Haha, nice. Good hand slapping you got. These engines have no more power to give after 2500rpm's, so why bother? That's why I love the overdrive!

You're a good guy... God answers prayers...this too shall pass.

Thanks. We're taking it day by day. Think we're going to partially rebuild this mess. Take what we can salvage from the old engine and mount in onto a new/rebuilt long block. But currently having trouble sourcing a good long block from a reputable company. Ok with spending money, just want quality and don't wanna get hosed. I read so many bad things on the interwebs.