Coolers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prone2wander said:
Closed cell foam pads can be found at Walmart, Amazon, or most general sporting goods stores.

{snip}

Not sure what to say about the foam fear except set drinks at the bottom up right and let the ice melt sit below the top or the ice melt.

Foam fear?

You have never worked in the transportation or food service industry, have you?

Food, such as canned goods and perishables, and food grade items, things like plates, cutting boards, sandwich bags, cups, coolers, whatever, do not normally share adjacent trailer, container, or pallet space with things like solvents, fertilizers and pesticides. If they do, they are normally separated by other freight.

Non-food-grade items, like foam insulation, and reflectix and other items you might want to stuff into a cooler might very well have been shipped right next to a dirty pallet of cow manure, a leaky case of Round-Up, or a carton of aromatic muriatic acid or turpentine with a few leaking screw-on caps.

Plus those items from the hardware or sporting goods store will have been handled by LOTS of the dirty sweaty hands of store personnel and customers. It's not intended to be in direct contact with the food or ice that you will be consuming. 

There is just no good reason to suggest that someone place this type of stuff into a cooler that will contain their food supply.

Food and water that you ingest should be kept separated from non-food containers and materials. Period.

No I have not worked in Transportaion. But I have worked in a food factory that produced products for McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Dunkin Doughnuts, etc.

All I'm saying it won't be a problem for most.

prone2wander said:
No I have not worked in Transportaion. But I have worked in a food factory that produced products for McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Dunkin Doughnuts, etc.

All I'm saying it won't  be a problem for most.

Ok, I agree it won't be a problem for MOST people. But I wont SUGGEST it. 

There are things we all do, but suggesting in a public forum, where 1000 people or maybe 10,000 people will read it and try it, is something else entirely. 

If you worked in a food factory you know something about keeping food products away from certain materials and surfaces. You probably had to wear a mask and other protective clothing, if you were anywhere near the production line.

Same idea.

the added insulation goes on the outside of the cooler. I see no good reason to put it on the inside. why would you do that? would it even work? highdesertranger

If your cooler is so ineffective you're getting condensation on the outside, I'd suggest something is very wrong.

Aldi is selling some very robust-looking units ATM, likely won't be in stock for long.

We've seen youtube videos where guys will buy a large cheap cooler, and build up a box around it with insulation, and maybe get a day or two extra ice-keeping ability. (I tried this a few times me-own-self)

It just seems to me that in a small space, like a minivan or car, or in my case, a pickup topper, that every inch counts.

John61CT said:
If your cooler is so ineffective you're getting condensation on the outside, I'd suggest something is very wrong.

Or it's really humid outside, (or inside the closed camper) especially with a cheaper cooler....which is the scenario I was referring to.

I love igloo coolers and the price helps a lot. I will say though, when I started out I used the cooker for only about two weeks then only used it for storage. I found it wasn’t worth dealing with for the very few things I wanted to keep cool. I just switched to things that didn’t need cooling. I rarely ever missed having it for three months. I’d consider seeing if you even want a cooler. It took a lot of space and was in the way more than it helped. It was also fun for me to figure out how to get by without it and how to get by with less in general. That’s just me though, as you’re finding it’s all very personal.

Insulation on the bottom is most important. I'd go thicker than just a single layer of closed cell camping pad, but it would help. The foam also protects the cooler. Spray foam is an option.

My cooler gets pulled out of the rig whenever I camp, so space is less of an issue. You can also pack insulation around the sides, a duffel bag or just even a jacket stuffed on the side will help a lot.

I have 2 Canyon Coolers. The 35 and the 55. They both will keep ice for over a week, if I do my part. The most important thing is to keep them out of direct sun light if possible. Canyon Coolers are made with their handles, latches , etc. flush with the sides. Better for packing and taking up less space. They are made in Flagstaff Arizona. They are not cheap but, they will last. IMHO

There really is a big difference between a cheap cooler and a good one.

This cheap Igloo Marine (that I've had for years and bought as an 'extra') cant keep ice out here in the heat for more than a day or two...it's an ice-eating machine. Designed to cost you money if you use it much. I brought it as an extra but I'm just gonna leave it at this campsite...it's not worth the trouble. (three bags of ice in 3 days) Maybe someone else will find it usable. 

IMG_20180610_085902 (Small).jpgIMG_20180610_093340 (Small).jpg

On the other hand, this roto-molded, fairly expensive Igloo Sportsman STILL has the ice in it that I brought from home 4 days ago. Plus it's sturdy, with lifetime hinges and latches, and has channels inside for a divider. 

IMG_20180610_093603 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_085902 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180610_085902 (Small).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20180610_093340 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180610_093340 (Small).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20180610_093603 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180610_093603 (Small).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 3
azmike9 said:
I have 2 Canyon Coolers. The 35 and the 55. They both will keep ice for over a week, if I do my part. The most important thing is to keep them out of direct sun light if possible. Canyon Coolers are made with their handles, latches , etc. flush with the sides. Better for packing and taking up less space. They are made in Flagstaff Arizona. They are not cheap but, they will last. IMHO
Thank you! I will definitely look into these—I’ve heard good things about them from others as well. The least amount of space it takes up, the better!

tx2sturgis said:
This cheap Igloo Marine (that I've had for years and bought as an 'extra') cant keep ice out here in the heat for more than a day or two

Maybe someone else will find it usable. 
Easily turned into a super-cooler with some thick polyiso boards.

For someone with a large living space, ir their porch at home.

Or just carting Stuff around on a cargo rack.

Well, again, if you cover the outside of a cheap cooler with foam, and the humidity is high, they WILL sweat in your foam box and make a mess.

Plus you STILL have cheap hinges, no latches, and no seal around the lid. 

I think it would make a good bait box...the worms probably would be happy...(but who really cares)

It'll be here if you wanna claim it....

:p

Next time I roll past your neighborhood :cool:

Sprayfoam to fill the bottom/side gaps 100% maybe?

Top I usually put sitting slab foam anyway

I lined the inside of my cooler with foil faced foam, it doubles the hold time.

Does that mean your new 'improved' cooler keeps ice and food safe and cold for 1 day, doubled to 2 days? Or 3 days to 6? 

Or 7 days doubled to 14 days? 

I'm cautiously skeptical.

34q igloo with 7 .5 liter frozen bottles, has ice in some of the bottles after 5 days with moderate weather out of the sun.