Urgent help with gen in Pahrump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morefun

Reaction score
In Pahrump
Our Honda 2k stopped working. We use this to charge up a small battery bay to run a ac/dc freezer and basics. We don't have a fridge so the freezer gives use the frozen blue ice blocks used in our cooler, and to keep food for my Autistic children's special diets.

Couple days ago the Gen was working fine, then one day I started it, it surged weirdly then went back to normal and then died. Can't get it to start now. It doesn't even sound like it is trying to start

What I have tried so far:
- put new spark plug in
- changed oil, fresh gas
- cleaned filters
- tested plug with spark tester. No spark, no start.

Suggestions?

At moment the food in freezer is ok but we are having to turn off the freezer at night due to not enough power charged up in batteries. That will get worse when we can't get full sun.

Moore Family

Engines need fuel, compression, spark and timing (spark and valve) to run. Easy way to determine if it is a fuel problem is to spray Gumout Carburetor cleaner directly into the intake of the carburetor and immediately crank the engine. If it starts or hits then stops running shortly after it most likely is due to a lack of fuel. If it doesn’t remove the spark plug and see if the plug is wet with fuel. If it is flooded check for spark at the plug wire then the spark plug itself. If there is not spark at the plug wire check the oil level and make sure the generator is setting fairly level as most generators have an oil level sensor that disables the ignition which prevents you from damaging the engine by running it low on oil. Sometimes the fix is as simple as adding a little oil or replacing a bad sensor. If you have a good spark while the spark plug is out feel for compression coming out of the spark plug hole while cranking. It should blow off your thumb easily while cranking. You can remove the valve cover and check valve clearance as well as insure the valves are closing if you have little or no compression but this is rarely the case. Finally most generators have a soft metal key that holds the flywheel in place to the crankshaft that can deform or shear changing the timing causing it to be hard to start or not start at all. This usually causes the starting rope to jerk back when trying to start and often occurs after running low on fuel when a backfire occurs. Follow the manufacturer’s manual above if you have questions and remember ask “before” causing more damage to your generator or yourself as there are lots of resources here. Often times water gets into the fuel tank or carburetor bowl and mixes somewhat with the gasoline, after sitting a while it separates and since water is heavier it settles to the bottom causing similar problems like you are describing. If it runs with the Gumout dump the tank and refill with fresh fuel in a clean container and drain the carburetor then try again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. We still haven't figured out what is wrong. While the service manual is useful it is beyond my understanding when it came to electrical info.
Updates of things tried:
No spark. Tried 8 different times, 3 new plugs, gaps adjusted. One attempt (6th time) the spark tester flashed orange once.

Fresh gas, fresh oil change 3 times, lvl checked repeatedly.

Vapor lock check. No start.

Carb system cleaned. Fuel lines look good.

Cleaned air filter twice

Compression test using "thumb" didn't blow off thumb but is blowing pressure.

Haven't found the oil sensor. Texts and videos haven't helped.

A vital 'tool' when troubleshooting any small gas engine generator is a can of starting fluid. You can buy this at walmart in the automotive section or any auto supply store.

Open up the air cleaner cover, pull out the foam (or paper) air cleaner, turn the choke OFF, genset switch and fuel petcock ON, spray the starting fluid a couple of seconds into the carb opening, then pull the starting rope. Repeat a couple of times, if needed.

If the genset starts and then runs ok (choke adjustment might be neccessary) you probably just had an empty carb float bowl.

If the genset sputters briefly then dies, you are not getting fuel to the cylinder, possibly plugged jets in the carb.

If the genset will not run at all, not even a sputter, you are not getting any ignition, in other words, no spark. Check the coil or the spark plug or spark plug wire.

There should be a small electrical wire that runs to the crankcase area a few inches up from the bottom of the motor where it clips on to an electrical sensor. Disconnecting the wire from the sensor usually disables the shutdown function allowing the engine to start and run even if the sensor is bad or the engine is low on oil so watch oil levels if you do disconnect the wire. Make sure the on/off switch is actually turning on making the connections it should. Other than these two things the spark not happening is usually a connection or a bad ignition module according to YouTube.

Thank you for the replies. No access to starter fluid for several days.
I did manage to find the oil sensor connection. Thank you! But still no start. Even tried with cap open in case if vapor lock.

Thank you for the replies. No access to starter fluid for several days.
I did manage to find the oil sensor connection. Thank you! But still no start. Even tried with cap open in case if vapor lock.

Didn't you have this generator problem in 2020 ?.................I PM'd you my phone # back then..............

We're back in Pahrump...........Basin............

Thank you, but we are on way back to Oregon for medical appointments. Due to health travel is slow. Will take us a week to get home.
I've your number still. And yes, had similar problem few years ago but fixes then aren't fixing it now. Drats!