Considering the Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journey

Reaction score
I currently have a a 2013 VW Jetta, and while it's great for commuting, I don't imagine it would be great for dwelling.

That said, I am not mechanically "savvy" so I would prefer to stick to a newer vehicle if possible to avoid some of the complicated repairs and technical issues. Additionally, I'm a small person at 5'2" so am plenty comfortable in small spaces. I have very few belongings at this point, and I am working to pair these down even further. My background is in design so that comes with a knack.. or a near compulsion for creating systems of organization, so I feel confident that I could figure out a storage solution for my minimal supplies.

To get started, I want to keep it simple and avoid "paralysis by analysis." I could trade/sell my Jetta for an SUV like a Honda Element, Ford Explorer, Scion XB, or similar option. I am thinking these would provide a little more space, decent MPG, and remain flexible for stealth or boondocking.

I would greatly appreciate some insights from the community on this, as I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

Some questions to ask yourself:

How important is MPG vs interior living room?  Do you plan to travel widely, or do you plan to stay more or less in the same area?

Do you want to live IN your vehicle, or do you just want a place to sleep while living OUT of your vehicle?  Will you want to be able to cook inside?  Will you need space for a 12 volt refrigerator or ice chest?

Going off-pavement?  Need all wheel drive or four wheel drive?

Any ideas on the climate you will be in, or hope to be in?  Will you need heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, or do you plan to do without those?

Power requirements?  Do you just need to keep a cell phone charged, or will you need to run a computer all day for your design work?

If you can answer those questions here, you'll get more useful responses.

Regards
John

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Journey! The answers are here as it's a question that is frequently asked.Start with a budget and go look at everything that seems like even a remote possibility. Read blog, watch videos and check out the conversion links at the top of the page.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Great questions, John. I'll list those out here for reference:

1. How important is MPG vs interior living room? Do you plan to travel widely, or do you plan to stay more or less in the same area?
MPG is a key factor for me as I do want to travel widely and my primary intention is to get out there and have direct experiences with the planet.

2. Do you want to live IN your vehicle, or do you just want a place to sleep while living OUT of your vehicle? Will you want to be able to cook inside? Will you need space for a 12 volt refrigerator or ice chest?
At this point I primarily intend to use it for sleeping purposes, and using my laptop when the outside whether is not permitting. This is essentially how I use my living space now. For cooking, it is likely not essential that I am able to cook indoors. Because of my diet, most of my food just needs to be stored or chilled, and a bit of it needs to be boiled or heated like lentils, beans, and soup for example. I could likely make it work with just the ice chest, but the 12 volt fridge would be well used if I had the space and energy for it.

3. Going off-pavement? Need all wheel drive or four wheel drive?
Although, I likely would stick to pavement to start my transition, I do intend to go off-pavement more as time goes on. I grew up rolling through trails and dunes on my dirtbike and uncle's Bronco, so that is something I really appreciate. 

4. Any ideas on the climate you will be in, or hope to be in? Will you need heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, or do you plan to do without those?
I am not sure at this stage and while of course it sounds easier to stick to more moderate climates, it sounds more fun to have that flexibility. I'm not sure how extreme the temps would need to be to warrant heating or cooling. I will research this and specific locations more. 

5. Power requirements? Do you just need to keep a cell phone charged, or will you need to run a computer all day for your design work?
I will need to keep my phone charged and I would like to be able to run the computer for the majority of the day, for those days when I do have projects or want to connect or blog. 

Thank you, cyndi! I should have a more solid idea of my budget in the next few weeks. I have started exploring the content you mentioned, and that's getting the wheels turning, so to speak.

For the most part, a minivan will fill all your needs. Check out this video I made of a really great minivan build:

[video=youtube]

Journey,

Based on your answers to John's good questions, I'm wondering if the Jetta may work for you. It might be worth your while to test that out. One big reason I travel in my Prius is because I can easily sleep and lounge in it, as well as the great MPG. If interested, check out my blog to see if a similar set up might work for you (how-to articles on the right column).

Suanne ... currently missing my Prius bed

Hi, Suanne! I've checked out your sweet setup! Thank you for sharing. :) My Jetta is actually going in for a bunch of body and paint repairs this week (hit-and-run) under my current insurance, so I feel it will be in it's best condition to sell at that point before the rough and tumble of the road makes it a little less shiny. Testing it out on the road after it has been fully repaired feels like a liability, if that makes sense.

Bob also did a great video tour of Roxie living in her Mitsubishi Montero:

Suanne said:
Journey,

Based on your answers to John's good questions, I'm wondering if the Jetta may work for you.  It might be worth your while to test that out.   One big reason I travel in my Prius is because I can easily sleep and lounge in it, as well as the great MPG.  If interested, check out my blog to see if a similar set up might work for you (how-to articles on the right column).  

Suanne ... currently missing my Prius bed

The Prius is an amazing vehicle.  I watched a YouTube video about a guy who traveled the country in one and how he was able to run heat or A/C and the engine would only come on for a few minutes to recharge the batteries...absolutely amazing.

How mechanically inclined are you as well?

Are you the type of person that can and will attempt a fix before seeking out a service shop/garage? I'm guessing so given your background with dirtbikes and your uncles bronco.

If you are familiar with a bronco, it might be a place to start. Though most you will find will require regular maintenance, they are easy to work on, and have an excellent following online. Parts are relatively cheap, and depending on the generation it would be big enough fit you and all your needs. Obviously the downside is the gas milage.

I'd say that 4wd or awd is ideal if you plan on going offroad, though some systems are better than others, you should still carry some type of self recovery equipment just in case.

As for your repaired Jetta, the body shop will be fixing your car to as close to a pre repair condition as they can. The paint should match, and it should be buffed nice and shiny. If you do sell it, don't mention the crash, the new seller shouldn't know it was ever in an accident. And if the shop repairing it does it's job correctly, they'll never know. If that is what you have, and you like the car, its been reliable. Then I say keep it.

Love some of the ideas here.  Unfortunately not able to view the videos (they are apparently set to private), but I can hopefully find some others on YT.

Journey said:
I currently have a a 2013 VW Jetta, and while it's great for commuting, I don't imagine it would be great for dwelling.

That said, I am not mechanically "savvy" so I would prefer to stick to a newer vehicle if possible to avoid some of the complicated repairs and technical issues. Additionally, I'm a small person at 5'2" so am plenty comfortable in small spaces. I have very few belongings at this point, and I am working to pair these down even further. My background is in design so that comes with a knack.. or a near compulsion for creating systems of organization, so I feel confident that I could figure out a storage solution for my minimal supplies.

To get started, I want to keep it simple and avoid "paralysis by analysis." I could trade/sell my Jetta for an SUV like a Honda Element, Ford Explorer, Scion XB, or similar option. I am thinking these would provide a little more space, decent MPG, and remain flexible for stealth or boondocking.

I would greatly appreciate some insights from the community on this, as I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

Funny you should mention that. I'm big (6', 230 lbs) and remodelling my Honda Element for living in full time. Nine months a year I use a tarp "breezeway" to a 3 person tent. Cook on the back hatch. Winter in Upstate NY is a drag. Better drift to FL, the TX Valley, or AZ.
There are a bunch of similar Elemental solutions on here.  I write so internet and computer are essential. I'm joining the Techno-gypsies (my term).  Keep in touch.

Happy trails,          M.

I would like to suggest the following Vehicle

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD 2.5 L, 4 cyl, Automatic, Regular Gasoline

It gets 32 miles per gallon (depending on how you drive)

Might cost around $9,351 depending on various factors.

2013 Jetta trade in value might be around $6,702 (depending on multiple factors, I don't know the type of engine you have, accessories, so I went with lowest).