considering cargo trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
Ok. Now I'm leaning toward a 6 x 12' cargo rig with side door and rear cargo door. I plan to live very simply and spend most of my time outside. The only thing I'd want to add to the trailer starting off is a small shower and toilet (maybe just a porta potty), simple lighting, windows, roof fan, and insulation. Also some shelving and the bed will be an air mattress I can store out of the way secured to the wall. Heating and cooking with propane (safe method), using freeze dried and canned food. These are the basic needs and will add on more as I go. I'm assuming this type trailer is made sturdier than even the older small TTs and could handle better mild off road or rough road situations. Am I right about this and can I expect adequate ground clearance generally speaking? I'll be pulling with a 4x4 V6 with tow capacity at 5k lbs. I plan to add solar panels to the truck topper at some point for the trailer and use the cargo door leveled with the ground, supported for a screened in covered deck. Added weight to the trailer will be under 1k lbs. Anything I'm missing in initial planning stage? Please chime in to add on and/or correct. Thanks.

I've seen cargo trailers used as a camper. I like it! If I got one I'd make sure I could stand up in it. The shower can get complicated, namely you'll need water, a way to heat it, and a way to get rid of the water after you use it.

Thanks HarmonicaBruce. I'm 5'7" and I think the height will be 6'+. I'll probably focus on the other stuff and save the shower for later so I can do more research and modify for fresh and waste water tanks, etc. I'm starting to see there is a lot of info out there to research. Should be a challenging/fun project if I decide to do it.

There are two different kinds of axles used under cargo trailers. Straight axles with leaf springs and torsion axles.

My understanding is that torsion axles don't hold up well when subjected to a lot of off-pavement use.

The more weight a trailer is capable of handling, the stronger the axle and the heavier the springs it comes with. Some people like to order extra heavy in order to obtain the bigger, stronger axle, then they remove a leaf or two from each spring pack to match them to the actual weight being carried and restore the ride.

No trailer comes with shock absorbers, but aftermarket trailer shocks ARE available and can be a good idea.

There is a whole sub-forum devoted to cargo trailer conversions over in the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum.

Regards
John

Thanks Past Tense...I'll check it out.
Thanks Optimistic Paranoid. I'll keep the axle types in mind and research that forum.
Chris

dogear52, I think it is a very good plan!!

In fact, it is basically my plan since I live in a 6x10 cargo trailer towed by a 1 ton van. Yes, it will be much lighter and made much better than nearly any commercial TT. I've taken mine into some very bad places that no TT could have gone to. Most of them come with pretty good clearance but you can reverse the springs to give them even more clearance. Sorry, but I don't know how to do it, I just know you can.

All your plans are totally and easily doable. The shower will be a little more difficult but you can do it no problem. I'd give serious thought to an EcoTemp on-demand hot water heater. http://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-Portable-Tankless-Outdoor/dp/B000TXOJQ4. You have to buy a 12 volt pump but there are many good ones for RVs. It should be fairly easy to find a home for a 10-20 gallon water tank. If you boondock you can just dump the shower water outside (use biodegradable soap). If you are in town you'll need a gray water tank.

Sounds like a good plan!
Bob

Thanks Bob. If need be, I think reversing leaf springs should be fairly simple for a shop. I'll check into the water heater on Amazon. Getting used to the small space would be an issue, but since I'll be outside mostly it should be tolerable.

Two key things I found with a cargo trailer was adding windows and an awning. If you have to be inside in bad weather being able to leave the door open is critical so you don't get claustrophobic. And having windows for light and a view is imperative.
Bob

Just got back from a 3 week round trip SF to Chicago bringing my son and his stuff in my one ton ford diesel van. 20MPG loaded. Every 400 miles I would add 18 gallons. Took I80 back just missing the snowfall Camping and driving it was great. I noticed a lot of cargo trailers and remembering Bob's conversion, started looking around as i can park a 6 x 10 in my driveway.
Wells Cargo comes to mind and I would like to know if any of you could recommend a quality product like the Wells Cargo, It is good to be not driving.

I've never done it but I know several people who have reversed the axles on their trailers and drastically increased their ground clearance.

For them it was a simple bolt on, bolt off process. No welding needed.
Bob

Waggoner, my trailer is Load Runner from TrailersPlus.com. I can 100% recommend both the trailer and dealer. They are very large and in many major cities. They will customize the trailer in any way you want (windows, vents, doors etc). They also make, sell or install ladder racks for all their trailers.

I've lived in mine for almost 5 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Best of all, they negotiate and give discounts for cash.

http://www.trailersplus.com/?gclid=...oA_1WCbjsqfEgFcf5SU5EHTH_noU4BJmmQaAtO78P8HAQ
Bob

ok you have a good plan. here's a few points from some one who has done these type of things. you do not flip an axle, you remove the axle from above the leaf springs, weld on new pads, bolt it back on the under side of the springs. for this you need spring pads and u-bolts. no need to remove old spring pads in fact use them for your guides, and always use new u-bolts. repeat do not flip the axle, most axles nowadays are cambered, what is facing up must stay up. btw this was never done on Toyota 4x4s, all older toys had springs over the axle. maybe somebody was thinking of 2wd toys. do not use torsion axles if you plan on off road driving, short life span. if you are planning of heavy off road use do not get close to your trailers weight capacity you will bend your axles, stay 50% below. if you want to drive off road use LT tires with a load rating of e, trailer tires will not cut it. get brakes, you will thank me for that one. I am going to build my own trailer mainly for these reasons. store bought trailers are either to wide or to narrow. need heavy duty axles. need heavy duty tongue. need 31.5" tires. hope this helps, any questions ask away. highdesertranger