Con artist/thief.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyLife1977

Reaction score
This is in relation to a woman we met a while back who tried to steal pretty much everything we had before returning to the desert.  Is a description allowed, because i know in all her blah blah blah she had been on this forum looking for handouts.  It's one of the reasons, other than bugging out of California after we get the truck 'perfect' that we rejoined the forum and it has been weighing on my mind.  Please let me know if posting bewareof warnings is allowed. She's likely to target older, white, blond women in an attempt to steal ID.

You should PM one of the mods before posting more. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
-crofter

Considering that there are always two sides to every story AND it could affect the forum legally, it may not be a good idea. Otherwise after being out here for over four years and both helping and working with people I could make a list as long as your arm of people you may want to avoid.

The downside of it isn't that I have been used or scammed. It is that now I tend to stay alone and not help anyone.

I think the basic warning and description I gave may be enough, but she may dye or cut her hair. Follow your gut instincts if a super emotionally and financially needy (yet spends like she's rich), physically healthy white, blond single woman in her late sixties who could pass for you starts getting into your life. And i mean into, as in all your background facebook friends work history, everything she needs to be YOU along with your car keys. That should be enough right there. I'm still having to tell people Im not so-and-so, despite living in the area for over 40 years and having a very obvious husband.

why would someone want to do all that ?  Do they need another identity for cover ?

Yeah we really don't want to publish any names or pictures unless we were to have actual proof. With all due respect right now we only have your word so it's basically hearsay. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Yeah we really don't want to publish any names or pictures unless we were With all due respect right now  we only have your word so it's basically hearsay.  Highdesertranger
Exactly, but until it's happened, and when it does, it's so disturbing, you can't believe it, then you start thinking, okay, she's going to find someone else in the Home free community.  And some innocent might get bad hurt. I would request this be moved to the womens forum, except she does target men for everything they've got, too. Maybe I was just alike enough for her to think she could pull it off.  I won't go into all the details, but it was not pretty, and as I've stated, I'm still getting to deal with men coming up to me thinking i'm her and owe them.  End of the matter.

Gypsy108 said:
why would someone want to do all that ?  Do they need another identity for cover ?
She certainly wanted our previous truck, but we never left it alone unless we are at the doctors.  It became very clear she had a plan to weasel her way into everthing.  The resemblance was just enough for her to fool people, despite her being thicker, an inch shorter, and five years older, not that I ever saw her ID.  Our mechanic said she had all kinds of excuses to try to get the car she was driving fixed and she wanted our ex truck which was for sale.  The way she talked around in circles my guess is she came up with this at the time, and might try it again.  So just pass the word. I'm done before I get into more trouble because of her.

If in AZ or Cali you can report to the local police and have the person prosecuted.
-crofter

We were told without her actually getting away with it, nothing could be done. But Everytime someone approaches me and calls me by the first name she was using I know I'm about to waste ten minutes schooling them.

Too bad the authorities are not on your side of this. In AZ identity theft is a crime with a price tag of 15 years.
-crofter

Scary. I mean really scary. This is like antisocial personality behavior.

I am glad you gave the heads-up. With just enough info to be aware.

You gave a good enough description that if we were to encounter a person like this we would know without ruining anyone’s reputation. I think this is the best way because it’s fair to both parties.

I don’t think there are many people out there like this but all it takes is one bad experience to make a person not want to help anyone again which is too bad. I had a run of crazies (who seemed totally normal except they tried to befriend me too fast and too deeply-true friendship takes a long time to develop) and sure enough they were unstable. It has made me very leery of who I even talk to.

On the road you’re even more vulnerable in many ways. Anyway be careful and stay vigilant.

Can't be too careful with your personal stuff when travelling. A camper demoed his biometric safe for me, not that large or heavy, and fit in one of those many spots: out of sight out of mind. With the neat feature of being difficult for others to open.

My lock box is a metal box large enough for a few things, but easily hidden in a tucked away spot. These type of secure storage also has a leash that you can secure so they aren't taken from the van.

How to secure your image and social presence, that is much more difficult, if the person is a hacker. For all we know, that very person could be reading this right now.
-crofter

crofter said:
How to secure your image and social presence, that is much more difficult, if the person is a hacker. For all we know, that very person could be reading this right now.
-crofter

...and thinking about dyeing their hair...

jimindenver said:
The downside of it isn't that I have been used or scammed. It is that now I tend to stay alone and not help anyone.

Unfortunately it has come this this and this is how I operate as well.