Age 26, going on 72. Wild animal entering the wild.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliviaoatman

Reaction score
Hi all, first off, trigger warning. I'm new to forums so this is a first for me - I'm going to give a completely honest first step forward in a clear introduction to a community I know I will be happy to be a part of.

My name is Olivia, I'm a single young woman on the road with her dog from my home-state of California. I'm the new owner of a 2006 High Top Sprinter 220k miles after spending the last year as an activist unhoused after a flood, a job loss, and a general life fall out. I was recently completely displaced by a predator + abuser who had me filling a domestic servitude role in exchange for "support" and escalating violent, narcissist abuse - after which I became immediately placed into my 4runner with my dog. After a few weeks of working hard to catch up on my independence and sovereignty, a friend gave me a personal loan to purchase a Sprinter I came across by chance. It's snowing here so we are cruising the mountains chasing sun while I order supplies and begin to build the van. Currently I am ready for insulation, annoyed by how fast propane goes, and in a mechanical failure waiting on an EGR valve to come through.

I have been on my own and moving from spot to spot since I was about 17, working since I was 15, and this is the longest I have ever not worked since being wrongfully fired from my hometown job a week before Thanksgiving. The amount of growth I have experienced is impossible to put into words, because I know I have just began and I am relieved to move towards happiness and away from the darkness I have given space to for so many years. I love Oaxacan food (dreams of driving a fully built van to the warmth of the city someday), my almost 2 year old road dog Sativa, writing, embroidery (planning on getting better), documenting everything, and a good song (I hope to learn how to play one)

I'm on this forum prior to watching the movie Nomadland - a film that has been recommended to me by multiple people in my life. In this emotional, tough spot of vulnerability, I have been relieved to see this community and this forum. I have been experiencing more fear and anxiety than usual in the past few weeks of living in the car, I'm experiencing a pretty significant transformation or as my mom would call it "a reckoning" and it has felt very alone at times. I look forward to hopefully connecting with others and learning some skills to make my life as an unhoused human being easier, comfortable, and to really find out what it means to be free. "I'll tell you what freedom is: no fear!" - Nina Simone

Thank you for being here and be safe out there in the world. 
- half child half ancient, half wholesome half wild animal Olivia + Sativa the dog.

Attachments

• 1CA28034-4F60-4C22-98C1-1A875C16A54F.jpeg
    1CA28034-4F60-4C22-98C1-1A875C16A54F.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 29
Welcome Olivia to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Suggestion - even though you are nomadic and income unsure, use your Mom's address as your "legal" and apply to that state's human services for SNAP and Medicaid until you get settled. The SNAP card can be used anywhere in the US that accepts SNAP. Medicaid will be limited to the state of application. Cancel when you're on your feet.

Hi all, first off, trigger warning. I'm new to forums so this is a first for me - I'm going to give a completely honest first step forward in a clear introduction to a community I know I will be happy to be a part of.

My name is Olivia, I'm a single young woman on the road with her dog from my home-state of California. I'm the new owner of a 2006 High Top Sprinter 220k miles after spending the last year as an activist unhoused after a flood, a job loss, and a general life fall out. I was recently completely displaced by a predator + abuser who had me filling a domestic servitude role in exchange for "support" and escalating violent, narcissist abuse - after which I became immediately placed into my 4runner with my dog. After a few weeks of working hard to catch up on my independence and sovereignty, a friend gave me a personal loan to purchase a Sprinter I came across by chance. It's snowing here so we are cruising the mountains chasing sun while I order supplies and begin to build the van. Currently I am ready for insulation, annoyed by how fast propane goes, and in a mechanical failure waiting on an EGR valve to come through.

I have been on my own and moving from spot to spot since I was about 17, working since I was 15, and this is the longest I have ever not worked since being wrongfully fired from my hometown job a week before Thanksgiving. The amount of growth I have experienced is impossible to put into words, because I know I have just began and I am relieved to move towards happiness and away from the darkness I have given space to for so many years. I love Oaxacan food (dreams of driving a fully built van to the warmth of the city someday), my almost 2 year old road dog Sativa, writing, embroidery (planning on getting better), documenting everything, and a good song (I hope to learn how to play one)

I'm on this forum prior to watching the movie Nomadland - a film that has been recommended to me by multiple people in my life. In this emotional, tough spot of vulnerability, I have been relieved to see this community and this forum. I have been experiencing more fear and anxiety than usual in the past few weeks of living in the car, I'm experiencing a pretty significant transformation or as my mom would call it "a reckoning" and it has felt very alone at times. I look forward to hopefully connecting with others and learning some skills to make my life as an unhoused human being easier, comfortable, and to really find out what it means to be free. "I'll tell you what freedom is: no fear!" - Nina Simone

Thank you for being here and be safe out there in the world.
- half child half ancient, half wholesome half wild animal Olivia + Sativa the dog.
Welcome Olivia. I love the decolonize your mind on the collage the best. You sound intelligent,creative and yes like an young activist. As an old former activist and I mean that as a positive as it is a noble gesture of strong conviction and adaptation to survive. In my case I started out nomadic in my youth even prior Bob, who I admire greatly. So it was imperative that I actually got some dirt and settled down to conquer my fears of doing so and in order to grow food, be less consumer orientated and self sufficient. I consider myself a part timer/snow bird and enjoy my life with my partner whether we are at home in nature or on the road in nature. Best 2 ya ~

Maybe the OP will log in this year and see these replies. You never know.
OP ? please clarify I am slow with the online rhetoric and acronyms. How are you doing are you on the road yet?