Cheap tow vehicle for cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popcorn2007

Reaction score
My end goal is to get a cargo van with a 6x10 cargo trailer/scamp trailer. Currently have house needed 20k in repairs with 20k worth of junk to get rid of. So, i'm far from being on the road.
Looking for ideas on something that can tow a trailer up a mountain  and still be daily drivable till i get on the road. Or something i can resale on the road when i switch to a van.
- I was thinking  of the crown vic or caprice but i hear they can't tow as much as they use to
- Honda-toyota  mini van but i see the tow rating would be at the limit
Cheap work truck?
 - I have no problem riding a scooter if a get a cheap van but just wanted to see what my options are, you know

There are alot of used cargo vans on Craigslist in my area for under $4000 that still have a useable life left in them.

A 1/2 ton pickup with a topper will be able to tow, while most minivans have weak transmissions, and engines that are lacking the torque to tow (high revving).

1/2 ton pickup or a Chevy Express van would be for me.

JD GUMBEE said:
Popcorn, what area of the world do you live in?
What do you consider cheap?

I'm in kansas city mo
Cheap would be under 5k - I was looking for a van around 10kor less and the vans in good shape were either over 10k or ford vans 2004-2008. I see alot of vans under 5k having alot of miles (250k). I don't see alot of vans between 5k-9.9k that are chevy's.

My big beef is that if get a van, i'm going to build it out and if it has high mileage, that's wasted effort. So i'm trying to think if buying a cheap truck is better then a cheap van. Did i say that right?

Of course, you could build out a high mile van with a nice body on it...then when the engine starts drinking oil, put one of these in it:

http://www.cumminshub.com/2.8l-cummins.html

When the govt shutdown is lifted, there is going to be a glut of them in the auctions.
The last Silverado I bought was a basic 2003 1/2 ton with 24,000 miles on it for $6300.
I spent 700 on a headliner, 2 tires and a new dash. (they had issues with the dash in those years. A company in CT reflows the solder on a bench and sells you a freshly re-done unit for 300 including shipping.)
Had $11,000 in hand 3 days after I put the dash in. There just are not low mileage units around here in VA.
A landscaper could not put the $$$ in my hand fast enough for it. Didn't even try to beat me down.

A pickup like that would be a good daily driver and it will not drop in value if you resell it before the magic 90K miles number.
Even dealers will take it on a trade in with low miles and a govt history.
Check your PM inbox.

Someone local is selling a half ton truck(automatic) with a v6 for a dirt cheap price with decent miles. My research said it can tow 5,000lbs
 TRying to figure the pitfalls of buying a cheap van. I'll send the time and effort in customizing it and it'll start having problems. Just can't get in that frame of mind that i need to be in.