cheap Generator Scam?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
While on facebook yesterday, I saw a company selling Champion 2000w invertor generator new in box for 189.
When you click on the image the site is called pypower.top

My gut feeling is that this is a scam that model goes for about 500 everywhere else. 
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?
 The way I found it was searching generators in facebook market place.

Yes it's a scam. Not to rant but Facebook brags about deleting "fake news" but they allow scammers to post all the time.

I was prety sure it was. If its to good to be true is probably is!

Now I have seen where Alibaba list generators real low but with like $300 in shipping. Is that a scam? I understand people do get their items from Alibaba but for that price you can get it for close to that local.

Let me say that with the low prices there are at the very least catches to those prices.

low price does not equate scam.
That is sales tactic that is part of the "boomer economy" way. 
People have been so conditioned over the past 60/70 years that if pricing isn't similar to other " trusted" corporate thieves it must be a scam.

The real scam is paying 100 bux for shoes that cost a dollar to produce and put on a shelf.

Fortunately that boomer economy thought has one foot in the grave. Free trade is not the same as fair trade.

Use your credit card so you can be refunded easily if the item in question is not as advertised. Check the Better Business Bureau for complaints.

To impugn  something as a scam because they don't mark up their products 1000% is dusty thought.

Now you are making shit up. The op said 2000w for 189$
You can certainly have an uninformed opinion. But before declaring something a scam you should have facts to back that claim
The obvious scams are companies marking products up 1000%

A low price does not equate to scam.
Strange how some folks have been conditioned to believe high markup equates legitimacy.

It's like equating poor=bad people and rich= good people.

60/70;years of corporate propaganda. 

Santan Solar has extremely cheap solar panels..... will you label them a scam as well????

https://store.santansolar.com/product-category/solar-panels/

I think it's difficult to get a reliable 2000watt INVERTER generator for less than $300.
But I have scored them for $320 and they've been great.

It might be possible to get a non inverter 2000watt generator for less.

The old saying goes "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is".....

and

"You get what you pay for"

In most instances these hold true....but not always.  Cover yourself and have a way out if it goes sour.

The generator in question normally sells for at least 2 times that much. Profit markup for most things is normally not over 33% as competition from other makers would run you out of business. Most companies are in business to make a profit not get rid of things at a loss. Normally the only time you will see something new sold straight from the manufacturer for more than 1/2 retail is generally a scam, it is stolen or been returned and repaired. Common sense isn't very common any more it seems. Many businesses now sell used, damaged, discontinued or refurbished items for well below retail which I believe SanTan is one. Buying from a physical store is much different from buying over the internet as there are many ways to be cheated on line.

Being informed will always trump common sense.

There are many reasons why a price is set for any particular item. To label a business or person as scamming without merit is asking for a lawsuit. 

Maybe these generators need to be put together? IDK nor does anyone else here cause it is easier to bash an online retailer than find out the reason for the pricing.

I've bought enough crap at Walmart to know that the vast majority of products are marked up well over 33%.  I as a retailer markup 2.5x the cost of production. THAT is the usual minimum.

still have 3 one pound boxes of chocolate left over from Memorial weekend. 50 bux retail but for you...

I'm actually saving them to give for free to vets I may meet on the road....free doesn't equate scam either... I'm just nice.

Attachments

• 1622940640784.jpg
    1622940640784.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7
I just know we are not bickering, right. Even though we are not bickering I am confident this will end right here because I hate closing threads.

Highdesertranger

I wouldn't buy anything from a FB ad. I have before, never again.

I expect the cost of most goods to rise noticeably over the next year or two.

Most of it comes from China and China is changing as well as the Western worlds relationship with China.

I expect to see some manufacturing move from China to other Asian nations in response and a slow trickle of some light manufacturing to return to the US.

Inflation will have a big impact as the dollar loses value.  Printing too much and giving it away does that.

That site is a scam. Its on a generic top level web domain and the fine print is pretty nonsense for a company that wants to sell you items for that kind of money. Very simple and ambiguous wording that can pass at a glance.

Free shipping , when the purchase price is probably barely enough to cover shipping, if that. These aren't red flags, the are flashing multi-colored neon signs with air horns sounding.