Just Bought a 12ft box truck need advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7wanders said:
outside of getting your vehicle on the road, I'd recommend building in the following order:
1. solar power setup
2. insulation ceiling, walls and floor (depending on where you wish to travel)
3. interior build of whatever you feel you need most (bed? kitchen?)
things like AC, heat, etc can come over time as long as you keep them in mind as you build (you can often get by with temp solutions like small heaters, etc until you get a final solution)

Yeah the walls are 3/8 reinforced plywood with fiberglass.  I just don't know how thick the floor is.  The supreme website says new builds are 1-1/8in 'lamindated hardwood'.  Agree on the solar and I'm trying to build a 2.5kwh lithium ion battery.  Don't know if I'll succeed but I've only got 5k -max- build budget (live on fixed income) and 100ah li-ion battery is 1k, and I don't want 800lbs of battery if I can help it.  I've got 300 li-ion cells that all need to be checked and cycled etc.  Realistically probably months to build it.     

I was planning on 'building' a rack for the box van with square aluminum tubing from HD and cut it with an angle grinder.  Trouble is that the roof is convex so I might need to run 1in tubing on both sides then build off of that so that I'm not pressing down on the roof.  I think I can fit 900 watts.   

Once the floor is done I'm just gonna buy ikea furniture, except the bed I want to make that and have storage underneath with those lift up pneumatic spring things. 

I'm in Maryland and not ready to full time yet -until I get this built out enough and sell the little bit of stuff I have left.