• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cargo box mounted on rack. Gone!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Tractor Supply truck box that I have bolted down onto a Harbor Freight hitch-mount rack (for 2" receiver), that I am ready to get rid of. You can see a complete description and lots of pictures of this combo in my build thread, starting here. Here is a picture of how it looks now:
20190807_111219 (Small).jpg

You can see it has seen a little bit of use, but is none worse for the wear.

The box will come with the locks and the bungie-cords to hold the lid sealed down (see the description in my build thread).

Altogether, with the box, rack, reflectors, bolts, locks, and bungie-cords, I've got about $250 in this cargo box. I am willing to sell it for $100....   
OR, I am willing to give it away to someone who is truly needy and really needs some extra storage space. I have contacted HOWA about this, but I don't know if they will be interested in just a cargo box. So, I am listing it here as well. Now, you gotta be truly needy, and more broke than I am, for me to give you this for free. So don't go trying to get me to give it to you so you can just turn around and sell it. 

Finally, a caveat: I do not recommend this for someone with a minivan or a regular car. I have found that the rear of the rack sits only about 6" - 7" off the ground when my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan is sitting on level ground. It drags often when going into steep driveways or through washes. That is why I am getting rid of it. I am now storing all my tubs in an "attic" between my solar panels and roof. With that said, it does seem to be relatively undamaged from all that dragging.

Attachments

• 20190807_111219 (Small).jpg
    20190807_111219 (Small).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 26
I couldn't tell from your pics.. but..
Do you have the hitch insertion that Raises the ball?? I had one on my Sienna for years.. it helped a LOT with 'dragging'.
It's basically a hitch insert, with the curve; then you just remove the ball and bolt to other side.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I have a Tractor Supply truck box that I have bolted down onto a Harbor Freight hitch-mount rack (for 2" receiver), that I am ready to get rid of.
I have found that the rear of the rack sits only about 6" - 7" off the ground when my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan is sitting on level ground. It drags often when going into steep driveways or through washes. That is why I am getting rid of it.

If you want to keep it, I mean if the dragging is the only reason you're getting rid of it, there's a fix you might could use... https://www.etrailer.com/search/6+Inch+Drop+Hitch As stated, this could raise you gear further above the pavement, or non-pavement :)

cherterr said:
I couldn't tell from your pics.. but..
Do you have the hitch insertion that Raises the ball??

Oh, I considered one of those. But, if I raise the box, I've gotta move it back even further so the hatch will clear the box... Then move it up even more to keep from dragging..... You get the idea. Yes, at a certain point the curved swing of the hatch is cutting up faster than back. So, maybe only one of those hitch lifters would do it. Maybe it would take two of them. I have just not been up to ordering one or more, just to see if they would work out. Besides, I already hate how far back that box hangs as it is. I'm always paranoid of backing up in a crossed parking lot.

I have since discovered that there are racks with a 'S' curves in their mounting bar, which raises the rack up almost six inches. Not up for buying another rack, just to see if it works. Besides, I've already got a bunch of books holes in the bottom of this box. I don't feel like driving new ones and needing to seal the old ones.

In the end, I just really don't want to have a box back there, and the space under my solar panel holds even more stuff.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

quote="LoveCareThinkDo"
In the end, I just really don't want to have a box back there, and the space under my solar panel holds even more stuff.

Alrighty then, good luck with your sale... maybe at a gathering or even a build gathering you could sell it quickly :)

Donate to HOWA. They will soon become our junkyard.

if you are going to be hanging around a particular location for a while and get no takers here list it on craigslist, facebook, etc.
Put it in the section for tools and price for a quick sell.