SAN DIEGO-NEED PLACE TO PARK AND RUN GENERATOR-WORK ON TRUCK

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I sold my camper, it was way to heavy and was hopping to move to Hawaii but things have changed and will be looking for a big cargo trailer in the following months. For now I'm staying temporary at a hotel and have saved enough to purchase a nice solar panel system after selling my camper and have not even connected anything. I'm mounting them on the roof of my pick up camper shell using electric rails and L brackets. I have purchased a small generator also and a grinder/drill so I can cut the rails into certain lengths and i need help in finding a place to park (not sleep at, just to park and work on till it gets dark and return to the hotel). I also need to cut plywood to build my bed inside the pickup shell. So as you can see it will be noisy and just need a safe place to work and then leave once it starts to get dark/cold. I need to park somewhere where I can run the generator and I'm not going to get harassed. Anyone know where in San Diego I can do this? exact location if you do know where? I try to be as respectful towards neighbors with noise and not interested in an area where there is a bunch of RVr's parked either. I've encountered a number of places here in San Diego where people living in trailers or RV's in the Mission Bay area be very racists at times. I've heard others in RVs and/or trailers up in the industrial areas of Miramar make comments like "don't park here..." things like that, when they saw me drive up looking for places to park. There are many mean and nasty people out there. Also, my goal is to set this up so I can have enough power and wait around after January to save more money to purchase a big cargo trailer and head out towards East, Florida. I've seen cargo trailers here in San Diego and they are so expensive and much lower in Florida. I'll buy one here in San Diego or drive to anyone selling a decent condition and under $4000.00. IT MUST BE DOUBLE AXLE AND AT LEAST 7FT WIDE WITH A TIP FRONT AND A CURVED ROOF. 16-18FEET LONG.

Attachments

• RAIL.jpg
    RAIL.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 39
try googling maker-space in your area

personally I'd at least investigate crossing over to Mexico, lots more freedom and so close by

John61CT said:
try googling maker-space in your area

personally I'd at least investigate crossing over to Mexico, lots more freedom and so close by
Viewed maker-space, no time for that. I need to get working now, soon. Mexico is not convenient either. Today, I'm going to attempt a place I use to love going and hopefully it will be fine but if anyone knows or has done wrk on their vehicle please let me know. Im now looking at buying a welding machine to reinforce the rack and build more ideas. Thanks John61CT. I'm also going to create a video and get my U Tube channel going on this whole project from the unwrapping of my solar panel set up to the rails to the bolts to the inside of the empty truck bed and plans in mind. I write a lot and will try to avoid making long videos also now that I got my Final Cut pro going.

Attachments

• Rails.jpg
    Rails.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 18
might wanna try

community workshop
1202 knoxville st in bay park SD
530-321-0093

they're a great group of peeps

Get a house battery and inverter to run your power tools. Use the generator only for short periods to recharge the batteries. If you must have the generator running non stop build a box with soundproofing to to shield the noise.

I've done work cutting plywood and lumber in the parking lot of Home Depot/Lowest and never had a problem. People do it all the time they buy a sheet of plywood, take it out to their car and rip it into whatever size they need to take home.

running a generator for a short time will not recharge your batteries. highdesertranger

This is how I handle projects when I don't have a large workshop space available.

I draw a layout of the plywood panels I need arranging them onto a sheet of standard size plywood. You can do this by hand or in many of the free software programs or apps for tablets or phones. Then I take that drawing to a lumber yard and have them make all the cuts major cuts. It does not add a significant amount of money to the project and it takes them very little time to make those cuts on their vertical panel saw. Plus the cuts are nice and straight. Then if you need to further refine a shape with an angle or curve it is just a small amount of trimming time and it can be done with a battery operated jigsaw, circular saw or even a handsaw.

There are places where you can get metal cut to length. Sheet metal shops will often do that for little to no money on a Friday afternoon if you show up with a cold six pack of beer.

If you need a place to work and you need some tools you don't own try to find temp work for a contractor. If you have the basic skills they is always someone hiring for that kind of labor even if it is just site cleanup and carpenters helping for moving materials or making simple cuts. You might even end up with a job where you can stay on sight as security with the added bonus of being able to get in some off-hour time to work on your project. That way you have a location and some $$ in your pocket as well as access to leftover off-cuts of materials. The benefit is such jobs are not long term. Sometimes homeowners offer a place to stay in exchange for some temporary renovation assistance. Check craiglist for labor jobs.

It is not just about finding a free place, sometimes it works even better if you can find a place to stay that comes with a job, win/win for you and the person needing your help.

Nah, I'm heading to Quartzite soon with all the tools I own and build it there and see if I can find someone to help also but thanks for the suggestions I hear one can stay 14 days and then some if you pay and I'll pay for the extra time before it gets to hot and then shift to the West fully self sustained and will be very proud of my work and my home until I can save up enough money to move to the Big Island and buy me a piece of land to live totally off the grid, I can die easy and happy, finally!

Mario I thought you had moved to Hawaii?

Cammalu said:
Mario I thought you had moved to Hawaii?
OMG, how can I make this short! Hmm... First, thank you for asking, I"m glad someone out in this planet knows or remembers something about me. After that one idiot who changed his mind about buying my camper right before I was about to pull the truck out I was really frustrated because he left me hanging in the night in OB and walked away. I tried to mount the camper back and damaged the base of it because the fkr who stood me up had no lights and I had to dig mine out and connect them, it was very late and dark by then and he just changed his mind abruptly after all that work so I was stuck for a few months trying to fix it and other things. But by then I had assumed I had no time to fly anymore because I read you can't fly pets from May something till September something and the quarantine on mainland was at least 120 day waiting period. Now suddenly a few weeks ago I read that the fkrs have now changed it to 30 day waiting period instead of 120! Now I'm stuck here with very little money to leave or still could leave but I'd have to rough it really hard once I land on Big Island and wait till I saved more $$$ to survive but the problem is that if there is one, only one mistake on my dogs paperwork it's immediate transport to Honolulu dog pound for 120 days in a cage F...........K THAT! I have an income and a temp second one also but its not much and all my finances are draining or I can sit and wait it out till December and see how much I have in my hand instead of guessing or making it all look good on paper. I am/was staying with a relative in Tijuana but they are of ZERO support. They mock me, ridicule me, have called me names like "idiot" and I've left and decided to take off the Quartzite for a period and try to build my rack/rail/solar/storage rack system from scratch and more after I found out I can stay there for a long period of time if I pay and I'll pay if I have to. However, I'm not a desert person and don't see how people like a fkng desert so much but its all there is now and Ill deal with it till it starts to get annoyingly hot! I'm to leave from San Diego after I pack my stuff that's in my relatives house and then take of to Los Angeles briefly then possibly take the 10 all the way to Quartzite and through Palm Springs. Here is a diagram I sketched out quickly of what I have in mind and there is more but not yet on paper. I am going to literally want to possibly cut (if all my ideas are correct), cut out the corners of the camper shell toppers corners and flip each side vertical and held by hinges, rails, and manually fold the curved braces that the roof will be held by and somehow figure out how to raise the roof and fill it with something (fiberglass) to cover the several foot gap. Plus, I found out that a PVC pipe at 6 inches round can hold one gallon per foot and a 7 inch PVC pipe can hold almost 1.5 gallons. Multiply that times the U shape of the whole truck and you got over 25-30 gallons on your roof and heated by the sun! Nice huh? I can take showers every day with about 1 gallon and still have some left for washing my pans, I love to cook and have a big propane tank with a 4 burner propane tank and a few other things, a heater. I also have purchase a really nice 40amp MMPT Renogy controller with one 1 monocrystaline panel and a 2nd arriving in a few days all hooked up to 2 Walmart Deep Cycle batteries. Theres more things I have in mind to install but I need to make my remaining life here no the mainland as comfortable as possible or I'll get very frustrated. I want to go somewhere and crank my guitar and drums (I have electronic drums) and not hear one fkr tell me to shut up or lower the volume, I became a mobile dweller because I got tired of dealing with many things in apartments, including not being able to play my guitar or record. Sorry I wrote so much but I really have nobody to talk to or any support from anyone and I'm truly suffering mentally just trying to find peace (inner and outer) and settle somehow somewhere comfortably. I truly hope I can find someone to help put this rail and project together in Arizona otherwise it will be done by me, as with everything I have done in my almost 51yrs of age.

Attachments

• TempDiagramTruck.jpg
    TempDiagramTruck.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 5
Well, I figured since Im going to stay here on mainland and Hawaii is looking to far out I decided to buy me more toys! So, I just ordered a 2nd solar panel and a pure sin wave inverter. The Apocalypse is about to happen and I want to be ready to survive when the grid goes down because I know not even Jesus wants me and if the rapture is taking the angels from earth then I guess I'm not good enough for Jesus and may as well buy all I can to survive! Now, I'm not sure anymore whether all that is true anymore but at once time I really believed in all that but after trying so hard to follow the "Jesus" thing and never ever seeing any hope or sign.. something ya' know I stopped believing in that whole Jesus thing. Anyhow, I'm really happy right now because I placed this order a few minutes ago and have no other choice but to prepare my life for the road and not have to worry about power, heating, or cooking. Unsure still about fridge, may buy the tiny cubic foot from Walmart but I'm sure i'll find a ways to cool a beer or two but I prefer cold extra dry champagne sometimes with some good quality dark chocolate. This is so neat man, I got me a 2nd panel and a great inverter! Fk yeah! Now I can plug my guitar amp and CRRRRRRRRRRRANK it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.05.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 9.05.10 PM.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
You better go as far out in the desert as you can if you are going to be cranking that music Mario. Too funny!

Latest posts