cargo trailer wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean and Buster

Reaction score
are all of the cargo trailer wheels 5 lug pattern the same I need to get a spare tire for the  cargo trailer and need to know if I  need to go back to the dealer and get one there for $150.00 or can I go to Walmart and get 2 for the same price  I am not worried about looks or things matching  nothing is perfect boy do I know that  .

blmkid said:
bolt pattern's from etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx[/SIZE]

tires: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels.aspx[/SIZE]

Search the etrailer web site with your question's. Seems like they got it going on with there web site. LOTS of info !

Also search for " tire maintenance " on their site. Changing a flat tire from tire neglect is a pain.

the trailer is new 2017 so new tires breaks and all of that I just like having a new spare for the trailer in case I need it

no, all 5 lugs are not the same. there are 4 choices. if you go to Walmrt they will tell you, or any tire store for that matter. or go to that 1st link blmkid posted. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
no,  all 5 lugs are not the same.  there are 4 choices.  if you go to Walmrt they will tell you,  or any tire store for that matter.  or go to that 1st link blmkid posted.  highdesertranger

thanks for any feed back

Hey Dean, take a couple of pictures of your tires and wheels, with a closeup of the tire size, tread pattern, and the hub area.

Show them to the person at a Walmart TLE or if you have a Tractor Supply near you, they will probably have them also.

You could also post them here.

I am assuming they are a standard 15" 5 lug ST tire and wheel.

Here is the tire and wheel on my 6x12 trailer:

2017-10-01 12.35.26.jpg2017-10-01 12.35.38.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-01 12.35.26.jpg
    2017-10-01 12.35.26.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2017-10-01 12.35.38.jpg
    2017-10-01 12.35.38.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 7
tx2sturgis said:
Hey Dean, take a couple of pictures of your tires and wheels, with a closeup of the tire size, tread pattern, and the hub area.

Show them to the person at a Walmart TLE or if you have a Tractor Supply near you, they will probably have them also.

You could also post them here.

I am assuming they are a standard 15" 5 lug ST tire and wheel.

Here is the tire and wheel on my 6x12 trailer:
they look just like yours but mine are gray

tx2sturgis said:
Yep...pretty common wheel and tire...

the trailer dealer wants $150.00 for one with tire and I can get them from Walmart for half that but the wheel wont match the others

Dean and Buster said:
...but the wheel wont match the others

You mean the holes, the spokes, will look different?

D- shaped holes versus round holes?

Well...its a spare...so....if the lug pattern matches and the tire is decent quality, it would not bother me...but if it is important to you then you might want to pay the dealer the full amount.

For a difference of $75 and tax, I could overlook it. No one will know except me and you!

;)

tx2sturgis said:
You mean the holes, the spokes, will look different?

D- shaped holes versus round holes?

Well...its a spare...so....if the lug pattern matches and the tire is decent quality, it would not bother me...but if it is important to you then you might want to pay the dealer the full amount.

For a difference of $75 and tax, I could overlook it. No one will know except me and you!

;)

does not bother me if things don't  match it will fit right in my world I think I should have a spare even with new tires on the trailer

Definitely need to be carrying a usable spare tire for the trailer.

I ended up replacing the tire on the spare when I replaced the tires last spring. It had never seen use in the 20 years I've owned the cargo trailer but I knew if I needed it a 20 yr old spare wasn't going to get me down the road.

They're rather like insurance, you hope you never need it but carry it anyways...

Almost There said:
Definitely need to be carrying a usable spare tire for the trailer.

I ended up replacing the tire on the spare when I replaced the tires last spring. It had never seen use in the 20 years I've owned the cargo trailer but I knew if I needed it a 20 yr old spare wasn't going to get me down the road.

They're rather like insurance, you hope you never need it but carry it anyways...

so true  I like the security so I can limp the trailer to shoulder and change the tire going to get a new spare for the van in a couple days I already put new all the way around the van not the spare had to weight till I have the cash to pay for it . new tires for the van were $ 135.00 each with road hazard on them the spare is over 10 years old

between me and my buddy we have over 10 trailers. I will tell you this, THERE IS NO STANDARD 5 LUG TRAILER BOLT PATTERN. it could be any one of the 4. take your trailer to a tire place and let them tell you what pattern you have. unless you want to measure it yourself. also you need to know the hub hole size, the diameter of the studs, width of the rim, and the offset of the rim. once you know all this, then you can shop around for the best price. if you are not comfortable with all this take the trailer somewhere and have them do the leg work. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
between me and my buddy we have over 10 trailers.  I will tell you this,  THERE IS NO STANDARD 5 LUG TRAILER BOLT PATTERN.  it could be any one of the 4.  take your trailer to a tire place and let them tell you what pattern you have.  unless you want to measure it yourself. also you need to know the hub hole size,  the diameter of the studs,  width of the rim,  and the offset of the rim.  once you know then you can shop around for the best price.  if you are not comfortable with all this take the trailer somewhere and have them do the leg work.  highdesertranger
I will try to do that

HDR is of course correct, but, I also said and meant to convey, it was a common size that is used on these newer cargo trailers. Meaning, it should be easy to match up since it IS so common. 

And recently manufactured, more or less generic, cargo trailers seem to use a couple of very common size wheels and tires.

My 5x8 trailer uses 13 inch, 4 lug wheels and tires, and my 6x12 uses 15 inch, 5 lug wheels and tires. I have 3 other trailers that use different sizes also. But within the narrow range of the type and year trailer that Dean has, I think he can find it somewhere. Yes, sizes vary. But once you narrow it down to a wheel size, the lug pattern is easy to match up at most any store or dealer that sells this stuff.

To be 100% certain, just take the wheel and tire to your favorite store that sells them.

tx2sturgis said:
HDR is of course correct, but, I also said and meant to convey, it was a common size that is used on these newer cargo trailers. Meaning, it should be easy to match up since it IS so common. 

And recently manufactured, more or less generic, cargo trailers seem to use a couple of very common size wheels and tires.

My 5x8 trailer uses 13 inch, 4 lug wheels and tires, and my 6x12 uses 15 inch, 5 lug wheels and tires. I have 3 other trailers that use different sizes also. But within the narrow range of the type and year trailer that Dean has, I think he can find it somewhere. Yes, sizes vary. But once you narrow it down to a wheel size, the lug pattern is easy to match up at most any store or dealer that sells this stuff.

To be 100% certain, just take the wheel and tire to your favorite store that sells them.

I will take the trailer to them and get it on the way out of Missouri

What has worked for me over the years when trying to match up a bolt pattern...

Measure the distance between two adjoining bolt holes.
Measure the diameter of the central hole.

That will do it for you in most circumstances.

Of course there's rim diameter & width, and offset rims... but you'd probably know if that's going to come into play.
wheels