Can Vandwellers be considered homeless?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall from history class that only land owners could vote long ago. A person was unworthy of voting for lack of home ownership. Personally, I don't give a rat's you know what for voting even though I'm a US citizen with full voting rights. I also hate getting pestered by jury duty notices. So I don't mind being considered homeless by property owners since I don't care to vote anyway. I know this is not a political thread which isn't allowed anyway, just wanted to give my .02 cents.

caseyc said:
I seem to recall from history class that only land owners could vote long ago. A person was unworthy of voting for lack of home ownership. Personally, I don't give a rat's you know what for voting even though I'm a US citizen with full voting rights. I also hate getting pestered by jury duty notices. So I don't mind being considered homeless by property owners since I don't care to vote anyway. I know this is not a political thread which isn't allowed anyway, just wanted to give my .02 cents.

Where they get a jury pool varies from state to state. Here in NY, not voting doesn't keep you off the jury lists - they also use the Motor Vehicle records to compile their lists.

Regards
John

PS - I'm so disgusted with the local politicians that I just automatically vote for whichever one ISN'T the incumbent . . .

skydivevandweller said:
I'm not a full-timer yet, but I've been doing a lot of thinking about what i would call myself when I do go full time. I think that "houseless" is the term I like best. I also like the terms "travel-peneur" (traveling entrepreneur), "nomad", and "location-unattached"

I usually go by full-timer, or full time RVer, both are generally accepted with no negativity.

Been thinking a lot about homelessness this week and what it means. I think "homeless" is less about where you hang your hat than being out of options. Wrote a post about it: "Are You Homeless if You Live in a Van?"

But for dating? I like the suggestion of "Full-Time RVer." Less stigmatized; makes you sound rich.

I've found that a lot of people who would like to butt into your life already have their minds made up about you
and are simply baiting an argument or fight.   There is no use wasting your time with them.

I simply tell them that my Van is a camping & travel conversion and is licensed as a motor home and I own it
outright.  For all practical purposes it's an RV and I'm using as my home presently. 

it's one of the reasons I travel clean and well groomed like any other suburbanite fresh off the golf course or
at the local county airport.  Polo Shirt, Dockers,  Clean white baseball hat (perhaps with a Fraternal Lodge emblem on it),  and Rockport's.  I may not dress like this in camp at all but when traveling through the land of LEO's it helps in avoiding their "Profile Zone".   I may have an AOPA bumper sticker on the rear bumper that says "I'd rather be Flying".   (hints of being a person of means rather than homeless)  

This also helps when stopping in Grocery Stores & Restaurants.  

But once in camp, where ever that would be,  I can dress to look like any other camper, hiker, birdwatcher, or nature boy.

it's odd how cities and school districts decide who is homeless. I rent an efficiency apt at Budget Suites and I am considered a 'resident' because I pay by the month
but the people who pay by the week or every two weeks are considered 'transients'. There are a lot of young families here trying to get a start and any kid using this address to go to school is considered homeless. There seems to be a certain stigma attached to that word.

I guess young van dwellers with kids would have to homeschool?? I have talked to many of them and the most of them are waiting for housing vouchers even if working full time. I suppose I will join the homeless next month when I leave here for AZ.

Interesting subject.

Be Safe.. Rob

Gunny said:
homeless. There seems to be a certain stigma attached to that word.

More than "seems". A news article about an outlaw hiding out on the Appalachian Trail and attacking hikers was described in the article (don't know if LEO used the word in their information release) as a "homeless man." No reason to use the term here except to associate with wrong doing and anti social behavior.

Wayne, I was actually responding to the topic of the thread. There are news articles every day about homeless people, be they Veterans, addicts or mentally unstable. My point in my response was you can have a roof over your head and the rent paid and still be considered homeless. Nothing in my response was about wrongdoing or anti social behavior. Just the way things are.

We're not homeless, we are FREE to roam like the buffalo, wild horses, & animals/birds do. I choose to live full-time in a 5th wheel, that's paid for, & live in an rv park & I'm happy.  :)  Once I was told I'm trailer trash because I live in a 5th wheel & in rv park. I said " how fast & easy can you pick up & move or travel anywhere while having a mortgage?"  No reply.
I don't care what other (non van, trailer, rv, alt lifestyle, & etc) really think, they envy of our lifestyle & wish they were doing it.    Its very freeing to be able to move at a moments notice to anywhere you choose.  I feel van, trailer, rv, alt lifestyle, & etc are happier & give back more. We are a tribe, group, a village that helps & looks out for each other & strangers too.

Life Is Grand  :heart: Live Everyday As If It Was Your Last One...

Forgot to add these. This was a 4 day camping trip. This was my view everyday. No stinkin city, house, apt etc life, front, back yard can compare. :)

Horses - Going & Coming - Black Rock Desert, CA

hate to tell you this but there are no wild horses in the western hemisphere. those are feral horses. and if you want to see something sad, look at what they have done to the springs in the Black Rock Desert. highdesertranger

a lot of thing are not native to the americas including dandelions

it all boils down to what a "home" is

is one of those tiny rooms in ny city a home?
a teepee in the woods?

a van is as good as any other in my book

When people ask me where I live, I just tell them the truth:

"I live in a van parked between two sets of railroad tracks and a ditch."

I have said this before....If you are living behind a dumpster in the alley at Fifth Street and Main, on skid row in Downtown Los Angeles....You are homeless.
If you are living with a roof over your head in your van...You are not homeless.

In our 'politically correct' nation, many people like to apply labels, and they want those labels to make themselves look good and to make other people look bad. The truth has nothing to do with it.

It would be a insult to homeless people to say you are homeless when you have a van .
Homeless people have to sleep with one eye open , somebody would have to make noise to get to you if you're in a van and that wakes you up so you can protect your self.
Never ever tell a women you live in a van , it will destroy your game , when they think of a van they think of a plumbers van with a bunch of greasy tools.
One told me "I'm not getting in that hot ass van " 
You gotta trick em into getting in , then when they see your Swank interior with the  jacuzzi bubblin they'll relax and forget where there at.

Mobilesport,

How about date someone that is also like minded as you so you don't have to trick them at all. Being honest is the best policy. For me if someone tricked/lied, I would wonder what else are you lying about.