94 F-250HD How large a camper can I have? (Learning my towing capacity... again)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so everyone understands even though a flat bed utility trailer isn’t cheap and my camper is nowhere as finished as a commercially manufactured camper trailer it makes this lifestyle with enough space for two people possible at a much lower cost. You could simply use a 14’ utility trailer build a camper like mine and still be able to tow it with almost any full-size truck or SUV. There are similar commercially built Incredi-box homes already to go for around $20,000.

Last edited:
Just so everyone understands even though a flat bed utility trailer isn’t cheap and my camper is nowhere as finished as a commercially manufactured camper trailer it makes this lifestyle with enough space for two people possible at a much lower cost. You could simply use a 14’ utility trailer build a camper like mine and still be able to tow it with almost any full-size truck or SUV. There are similar commercially built Incredi-box homes already to go for around $20,000.
The 8x16 is their smallest and it starts at $25K. FB Marketplace is flooded with RV's of every kind right now. Decent ones, even older Airstreams and Nash, sell for $10-$15K. I wouldn't buy new when there is an abundance of quality used RV's.

I must have 30 rigs "saved" on Marketplace and most are under $10K and don't need work. Never heard of this brand, but here is a 18 foot 2016 toyhauler for $9,995:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/826578765661691/

The 8x16 is their smallest and it starts at $25K. FB Marketplace is flooded with RV's of every kind right now. Decent ones, even older Airstreams and Nash, sell for $10-$15K. I wouldn't buy new when there is an abundance of quality used RV's.

I must have 30 rigs "saved" on Marketplace and most are under $10K and don't need work. Never heard of this brand, but here is a 18 foot 2016 toyhauler for $9,995:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/826578765661691/
A toy hauler is one with space in the back for quads, dirt bikes, etc. I'm not on FB so can't access the page but if I got it wrong I'm sorry.

The difference between travel trailer, toybox, and cargo trailer is generally that travel trailers do not have the fold-down rear door or a "garage" type storage area. Toyboxes are a version of a cargo trailer that still has the drop down rear door that also acts as a ramp to load toys (motorcycles, atvs, buggies, side by sides, etc) but typically has a semi-finished living area with fold down bunks, some type of kitchen, bathroom, and holding tanks (fresh and gray at the least, black tank too if there is a restroom that isn't cassette/composting toilet). Cargo trailers are just covered enclosed unfinished trailers and may or may not have the drop-down rear door (sometimes there are barn-door style rear doors, sometimes removable ramps, but generally there are always large rear doors to enable loading of larger items).

In my experience the insulation in all of the above is generally quite low quality and inefficient, but then maybe just most of the people I know buy budget trailers that skimped on the insulation.

The 5th wheel and giant toy-haulers are a class of their own and are more akin to a house on wheels with an integrated 1-car garage than to a typical recreational vehicle. They also require a pretty hefty tow-vehicle as they frequently come in over 10,000 lbs when loaded.

A toy hauler is one with space in the back for quads, dirt bikes, etc. I'm not on FB so can't access the page but if I got it wrong I'm sorry.
Yup. A toyhauler has an empty room in the rear with a ramp. They come as RV's or trailers. Even popup trailers have a large place to haul things.

Those rooms can be used for anything. Sewing, crafts, art studio, growing plants... you name it.

This was my very heavy truck camper. I know it looks like it is on a shortbed but isn't. It is a factory cab and chassis with a 9' flatbed that I lowered all the way down by building fender bumps so tires wouldn't hit when suspension worked and so I could get my center of gravity as low as I could. The camper center of gravity is ahead of the rear axleTruck.png

That's a lot of camper! Is that a dually? Can't quite make it out in the pic.

That's a lot of camper! Is that a dually? Can't quite make it out in the pic.
Dually yes. I saw one with the 2 slides near Yuma and thought that was the answer. Found the one I bought on Ebay and drove from ND. to FL. to get it. Just too heavy for a 3500 and scared the crap out of me driving in any crosswind. Sold it to a gentleman with a F450

^^^if you need or desire more space to live in, move often and can afford one a Class A motorhome begins to make sense. If you do longer stays in one place a trailer is easier and cheaper to maintain. A truck camper is a compromise of all those considerations in my opinion.

A truck camper is a compromise of all those considerations in my opinion.
All of the other options suck offroad. I guess the norm these days is to stay on good roads, but if I can't get far in the boonies without my rig falling apart, then there is no point.

^^^Anymore you are more limited by weight, and overhang dragging. A small lightweight topper, narrow teardrop or a Suburban conversion maybe. Most areas are restricted to “established roads” which my Suburban barely handles even with high clearance 4x4 in dry weather here in southern Utah. Usually remote areas are a days travel from paved roads with plenty of BLM land camping opportunities. If you watch the YouTube off road recoveries you will usually see the newer 4x4 tall van conversions being pulled out or 2 wheel drives where they shouldn’t be. A second vehicle or means of getting out is highly recommended. Tows out of primitive areas are expensive if you can even get someone to do them.

Last edited:
The advantage of the trucks is that they are more rugged and 4wd is a cheap upgrade. Vans these days are not made for going offroad, and it's $$$ to mod them for it. Your suburban should do well with some suspension, tires, and mild lift... and good pump for airing down!

So far I've been able to get to all my favorite spots with no drama, while this was not the case with the '84 2wd I had! Ground clearance, big tires, and 4lo all help. Just wish I had AWD... can't believe that wasn't an option until recently. In the summer, branches are an issue... but at least I don't have junk on the top (like solar panels) that I need to worry about.

1-1/2 hrs from the grocery store and gas station is enough IME. Few people venture that far to camp... although I see more motorcycles and SxS these days.