Can I really do this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new widow with a new 30 foot Class  (we bought before he passed away).
I'm not very mechanical - is this something I can do by myself?  I've watched a ton of Bob's videos, yet I still don't get what some of the buttons are for...
A dream of ours was to travel - what do you think?
Thank you so much to anyone with advice.
Karen

Welcome Karen to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

sure you can do it, we are here to lend a hand.

highdesertranger

Welcome... you can do it... do you have family or friends to help with the “buttons”? Watch bobs videos and such. Another option would be sell the camper and get into a van build. Is this a motor home? You said class but not type... A B C... No matter, with proper direction you can do this! The reason many like the vans are simplicity and mobility. Bigger the rig the more problems you will have... less buttons. Haha.

Greetings and welcome to the CRVL Forums.

As to your question,  yes I'm sure you can.  But it will probably take you some time especially in the present circumstances with your being new to it and the corona virus that has so much of what we are used to having closed down now.

One caution I would give you is to beware of those who would try to buy your RV for a fraction of what it is actually worth.  There are people out there who make a living at doing this.  So if you have a place to park the RV you will have time to learn and study the RV and how and where you would like to travel to and what to see. 

In time this corona virus will pass and things will get back to normal again and you will be travel then.  You will want to have someone whom you can trust and rely on to look after your home/apartment etc. 

Are you able to drive the RV yourself ? Park it ?   Back it up at this point ?   If you are not so able you may find someone who is capable (that you know and trust) to take you to a large shopping area (much of these places are closed now so the parking lots are nearly empty) and then let you practice driving it, backing it up etc.  Just like drivers ed for high school kids.  Then, you can take it out on the four lane highways and get used to driving it and get the feel of it's operations with entering or exiting the highway.  Then move on to two lane roads that aren't too crowded.  This kind of stuff you can do right now. 

As for learning what everything is with the dash panel, get yourself a spiral ring note book and sketch out where all the buttons and switches are and label the things you already know.  Some of the Walmarts have RV sections in their automotive departments.  I've seen some paper back books about RV's in those sections,  so you may want to see if any of them address "First time RV ownership".  Libraries may contain such books too but you'll have to wait until they begin to re-open.

In the meanwhile, I'd offer you to look at the bottom link below.  (eDJs autoservices  which is a free portal of helpful travel information for RV Travelers)  spend some time with it and slowly become familiar with what's there.  You can always message me if you have questions.

Yes, you can do it.

I’ve been a widow 6 years, and resumed traveling in our Class B after he died and continue to this point.

Pull out the owners manual for your rig, and go thru it carefully.

There will be pictures to show you what buttons do, what needs to be done when, etc.

There were many things during our travel that he always did, and that I always did.

Now, I do almost all of it myself, and what I can’t or won’t I pay someone else to do.

But most of it I do myself.

Don’t be in a hurry, baby steps will lead the way.

Good luck to you.

The people who do this aren't geniuses, aren't superhumans. They just learned some stuff, they just tried it.

A new subject to learn can seem overwhelming, but little by little you will learn and then wonder why you were so fearful about it. There are books and Youtube Videos about almost everything. The first time that you do something the stress will be high, then after a few times you will not even think about it.
To start find out how tall the vehicle is and don't drive it under anything not as high. Things like a fast food drive through can have clearance issues. If it doesn't have a back up camera I would install one. They are pretty inexpensive compared to backing into something.

All first-time RVers (first time doers of anything, really) are probably equally ignorant about how to do it. So you're not alone in your situation, you're not the first one to feel overwhelmed. But people figure it out.

Also, it helps if you can talk to people with experience. Either on this forum or in person. My biggest asset when I first got started was my father, who is on his 7th RV (I think), and answered the questions I had as well as making me feel more comfortable.

Of course, with no experience you probably don't know all the questions yet, to try to get answers. But as you learn what your questions are, you can ask the questions here or to people you meet in person.

There are also some all women RV groups you can join. The sisterhood will have your back and you won't feel so out of step and alone as you begin you solo adventures.

But when you begin your education of the various things in your RV I would suggest you take it by category instead of doing a scattered approach.

So for instance study the plumbing. How do you add water to the tank, how do you drain water out of the tank if you need to empty it, how does it get cleaned if it needs it. Then the sink, where is the pump that pushes water from the tank to the faucet, how is the pump turned off and on. Look through the manual for the pump and also read through the trouble shooting tree in the manual. That way you will know where to look if you have trouble with the pump. Pumps can have filters and screens.

Then take a look at the water heater, how it is lit, how it gets drained, if there is a winterizing by pass valve on it. How is the temperature adjusted.

By focusing on one thing at a time you will avoid feeling overwhelmed. Just the same as when you go to school you go through the book of lessons one chapter at a time. Of course youtube really is helpful, find an RV company youtube site you feel very comfortable watching, all videos are not created equally and some presenters simply click with our own personality versus another one.

Hi everyone, thank you for your suggestions and encouragement.  I have carefully considered and taken them to heart.
I have scheduled am orientation with a local Entegra dealer, am watching every video possible, confirmed roadside assistance, signed up with RVing Women, asked an experienced neighbor couple to check in on me while I camp in my driveway, called the company headquarters to validate warranty and insurance company to confirm coverage, and gone to DMV to put the title in my name.
Now it's taking my time, reviewing and getting the hang of it.
Thanks again for welcoming me to such a great community,. Karen

I would suggest do not buy a new RV. find a good one that is 5 to 10 years old.
RV's lose a great deal of their value quickly. New ones often have problems as well. There is a warranty, but you will have to jump through hoops to get work done. Do you want to travel to get to an authorized dealer for one thing.
Until you know if this is the lifestyle for you, I would not gamble a lot of money on it. Buy something that you can sell for the same price in 6 months for about the same amount.

Thanks again everyone! Walk thru this morning and then going to practice parking. I'll camp in my driveway for 2 days at a time (all the HOA allows) while the parks are closed. Your suggestions were very helpful - I appreciate your taking the time to help.
What a wonderful community to be a part of!
Karen

Hi. If you feel a little out of your depth, don't worry we all started somewhere. Do you have any local buddies who have RVs? Maybe try to organize a few short trips as part of a small group, that way there will be someone on hand if you need any guidance. First few outings are always a little full on until you acclimatize to your rv & its operation. Good luck, hope you manage to enjoy your times on the road...

Sorry for your loss, I hope you are doing OK. Perhaps taking on the challenge of learning how to operate and take care of your motorhome will be a constructive way to keep busy...

Doesn't Escapee's have a RV training course. I don't know if it costs or even if it's any good but it would be a good starting point.

Latest posts