Cadillac towing an Airstream

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Chrysler first started making the Hemi and putting them into sedans, 300C & Magnum, there was a commercial on TV with one of them towing an airstream. Cant find that vid tho, so check out this one.
CanAmRv took 3 cars, a Jaguar XJ VP, Chrysler 300C and a Ford Freestar. the 300 is at the 30sec mark

So if the internet tells me that the towing capability of a Ford Freestar is 3500lbs, and it also shows said Freestar towing a 34' trailer than my Caravan, rated at 3600lbs means I can get rid of my cargo trailer and buy a 34' AIRSTREAM?!?!?!? WHOOHOO the wife is gonna love that one!!!

It worked pretty well in the video, no? :cool:

It's rare to see a tow rating providing complete information.

Towing capacity: (Front Axle weight * wheelbase in inches)/overhang

Overhang = distance from center of rear axle to the hitch/attachment point

The result of this calculation is meant to provide a starting point for a tongue weight that would maintain safe braking and steering.

Then we have resistance. Environmental and gradient.

Environmental resistance says basically, the deeper the wheels are mired the more force will be required to cause motion.

On a flat level paved surface with a wheeled vehicle, brakes off, you can figure needing 10% of the vehicles weight in force to achieve motion. This is why a couple of guys can push a car across a flat parking lot, out of a parking space, etc. Add an incline and the game changes. Up and down.

LENGTH of a towed vehicle has zero bearing on a power unit's ability to pull a vehicle.

Checking back in with the equation above for tow capacity, the reason fifth wheel attached trailers can be so much heavier is because of their hookup position. The dividing/reducing factor of overhang is eliminated from the equation and can become a multiplier if you can get the kingpin ahead of the center of the rear axle.

I don't recollect the figure from memory, but a calculation does exist to help with having a fifth wheel trailer as far forward without it touching the power unit while turning. With enough digging I could find it if anyone is interested. It's worth at least knowing this so that you could potentially GAIN towing capacity by moving the trailer forward, even if just a few inches.

Where does all this come from? I spent time in the transportation industry (truckin') and also worked in heavy duty towing and recovery. Towing capacity, anchorability, and how far you could pull something into the rear of the truck without damage for certain are common topics in the field. It's been long enough that I don't recollect all the details like I did when in practice.

IanC said:
'The Long Long Trailer' with Lucy and Ricky 1953 and another

Great, great movie. Loved it especially when she loaded the trailer with half a ton of rocks lol

GCAdventurer said:
So if the internet tells me that the towing capability of a Ford Freestar is 3500lbs, and it also shows said Freestar towing a 34' trailer than my Caravan, rated at 3600lbs means I can get rid of my cargo trailer and buy a 34' AIRSTREAM?!?!?!? WHOOHOO the wife is gonna love that one!!!

It worked pretty well in the video, no? :cool:

CanAmRV in Ontario has been setting up unlikely tow cars for a lot of years... and apparently successfully, I might add.   Fifteen years ago, when I still had Airstreams and spent a lot of time on the Airstream forums, folks would post about towing a 34' with a Dodge Intrepid...  and we all thought they were nuts, and didn't belong on the road.  It is kinda hard to argue with an Intrepid towing a 34' Airstream through a slalom course successfully, doing panic stops, and other evasive maneuvers without crashing.  

Since those days, CanAm RV has set up a LOT of different and what we'd consider un-tow-worthy vehicles and apparently made them competent towers.   The owners of those vehicles would likely be in a world of hurt in the US if they crashed...  but I guess that Canadian law is significantly different. 

In any event, there are a LOT of happy Airstream owners that CanAm has set up with a variety of unusual and unlikely tow cars.  Just not me.

:D

slynne said:
I wonder if I could put one of those little Bambi airstreams on the back of a Jetta?

Maybe.  For a couple of blocks before something failed catastrophically...

Apparently some Jettas are rated for 2,000 lbs.  My 1963 Bambi was about 2500 lbs loaded; 1900 lbs dry.  The current 16' "Bambi" is something like 3300 lbs dry with a 450lb tongue weight.  

That's probably not something I'd be comfortable with. 

Towing with a Jetta

hepcat said:
Maybe.  For a couple of blocks before something failed catastrophically...

Apparently some Jettas are rated for 2,000 lbs.  My 1963 Bambi was about 2500 lbs loaded; 1900 lbs dry.  The current 16' "Bambi" is something like 3300 lbs dry with a 450lb tongue weight.  

That's probably not something I'd be comfortable with. 

Towing with a Jetta

Thanks. Crossing that off my list as a possibility. :)