Bulkhead (partition) - yes / no?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
I bought an extended chevy express van.

Came with shelves and bulkhead.

Sold the shelves off and undecided about keeping the bulkhead.

I keep going back and forth on what to do. 

My thinking is...

Keep: More stealthy appearance. Can lock the door if work needs to be done on it and left at a shop. 

Sell: Frees up room

Thoughts?

I have a stealth reg size chevy express 2500. Originally I thought I needed a bulkhead wall. Currently a floor to ceiling wardrobe closet/battery cabinet takes up the entire space behind the driver seat. The remainder is open, but I have a steel cable with a black fabric shower curtain hanging for privacy. The nice thing about the curtain, is that it can be pulled back and nice cold a/c from the front can blow to the back quickly. I think with a bulkhead or even an open door with bulkhead it would take more to cool down the back. So...I'm currently not in a hurry to put a bulkhead up. BUT...if I had the additional space of an extended van, I'd probably want a bulkhead. In my case I would build in a liquor display cabinet into the rear facing passenger side, because, that's just the way I roll...

If you're in an area that necessitates serious insulation against cold (or heat), an insulated bulkhead would make a big difference. This is, of course, assuming the rest of the van is insulated appropriately.

I suspect it would be better for using lights and/or screen devices as well, since you could completely black out the back and not worry about having to cover all your front windows.

I use a thick curtain that runs across a ceiling track to separate the driving area from the living area. This gives me the option of turning the passenger seat around to be used while camping. It also allows me an open view out the front windows during the day. I can close off the front for privacy or to make it easier to heat or cool the living area.

I did build an insulated bulkhead in the back of the van. This made a garage / storage area that I do not have to heat or cool. It is a well ventilated area so that is where I put my batteries and propabe bottles. It is also more secure from theft if I am away from the van, ( I replaced the back windows with 1/8" aluminum sheets). You can see my van here

I have one. I blocked off all the holes so no light leaks out at night, and nobody can see into the back compartment.

I didn't have one in my old van but always wished I did. I was always concerned about getting in an accident and having a dirt bike fly into the back of my head. Just something to consider.

RogerD said:
Keep: More stealthy appearance. Can lock the door if work needs to be done on it and left at a shop. 
Not sure what you mean by lock the door. Most every GMC Savana van I've seen comes with the bulkhead, but the center section is bolted in place. 

I have the regular Savana, and installed the following kit which allows me to go through between front and back. 2 hinges and a latch. The lock itself isn't worth poo, so I didn't install it on the latch. 
https://www.adriansteel.com/item/1302/PDK1

The only reason I see to get rid of the bulkhead is if you want to install a swivel chair on the passenger side. In my case, the area between seats and bulkhead and in front of passenger seat are used for general storage. Unlike lenny, the holes are all open, so I can sight through the side and back door windows when driving. I just toss a blanket over the bulkhead at night. I don't do stealth. 

I don't use a heater in the van. Twice I've woken up and it was so cold that I opened the bulkhead door and started the engine and it warmed up to 50F in the back in maybe 10-minutes.

Bud Smiley said:
I didn't have one in my old van but always wished I did. I was always concerned about getting in an accident and having a dirt bike fly into the back of my head. Just something to consider.
Yeah, or the other 500 pounds of stuff in the back.

I didn't have one in the GMC Savana when I bought it and wouldn't have one if it did - it would have been the first thing I ripped out.

Stealth has never been a goal of mine, comfortable full time living is.

I made a quilted drape panel that covers both the side windows and the windshield when clipped in to place. It keeps the living area both cool in the heat and warmer in the cold.

My living area is the full size of the interior of the van instead of just from the bulkhead back -  probably another 3 to 4 feet by the width of the van.

The passenger seat swivels (I had the swivel installed). Unless I'm parked in a parking lot or rest area for the night, the drivers' seat becomes additional storage area for overnight use. Behind the passenger seat (under the dash, in the footwell) also serves as a place to store things. All that would be inaccessible if there was a bulkhead.

The bulkhead that came in the van I bought had three sections. I left the section behind the driver seat and removed the other two.

There were two cabinets. I kept the one with horizontal doors that fold down and sold the other. I attached chains at the ends of the upper cabinet door and now the door serves as my table.

RogerD said:
I keep going back and forth on what to do. 
Well, you have all the options now from different people. Hardly any the same. What you can do is leave the bulkhead in there and take a couple of trips with minimal conversion, and see what you think. Nothing substitutes for trying it and see how it goes.

The bed is going to be your biggest problem, and how you solve that determines everything else. Originally I had a twin size mattress oriented front-to-back. This gave very little free floor space (in the standard van), which was horrible. Then I found that, if I removed the lower set of wooden lashing boards, there was 74-76" crosswise at the very back, and that's where the mattress is now. Floor space is greatly improved. It's a little tight due to the vertical strut that comes down to the top of the wheel well, but my mattress is foam and conforms to the space.

leave it and put foam insulation on it, 1/2 inch maybe 1 inch. Too much heat comes in from the front windshield. I try to isolate the back of the van as much as possible, its heavily insulated. I had to build my own divider, its a sliding door so I can get in/out easily. 

Here is a picture of my temps from front of van and the back of the van. In summer I can get a 50 degree difference, in winter I get a more modest 10 degree difference. If you don't isolate, the back will be almost as hot as the front. In my van, I know that bulkhead is the only reason I can park in the sun all day long and stay cool in the back.

temp summ wint.jpg

Attachments

• temp summ wint.jpg
    temp summ wint.jpg
    80 KB
It’s a personal preference decision.
I would take it out in favor of a swiveling passenger seat for additional living space.

I have a partial (open between seats) and considered taking it out. I'm glad I didn't it gives me a lot of storage between the seat bulkhead for bulky items. Also came in handy when I was on the highway and got cut off, had to slam on the breaks and everything not tied down flew forward and slammed into the bulkhead, the only thing that flew between the seats was my dog. She wasn't hurt but ended up under my legs somehow.

jonyjoe303 said:
I can park in the sun all day long and stay cool in the back.
94° with 89% humidity is cool to you?   :huh:  Weather like that is why I fled the South.

Mattkcc said:
I have a partial (open between seats) and considered taking it out. I'm glad I didn't it gives me a lot of storage between the seat bulkhead for bulky items. 
Good about the dog. I also find that the areas between the front seats and the bulkhead are the perfect place to store (ie stack up) all of the basic road gear: jumper cables, extra jacks, extra tools, emergency road kits, sunshades, wheel chocks, also a foldup potti, etc. It's gotta go somewheres and it's all out of the way.

RE:heat through windshield...I made a panel out of Reflectix to put in my windshield and driver and passenger door to keep out heat when parked without shade. Should have done it a year ago. The difference it makes in keeping the interior cool is amazing. Cheap and easy solution!

Artsyguy said:
RE:heat through windshield...I made a panel out of Reflectix to put in my windshield and driver and passenger door to keep out heat when parked without shade.  Should have done it a year ago.  The difference it makes in keeping the interior cool is amazing.  Cheap and easy solution!
BW has a video about different windshield covers for vans.