Box Van vs Step Van Pros Cons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I currently own a box van GMC 2000 3500 with 18ft attic style box which I like a lot, but has some features that are not working for me. I really like the box style, the walk thru to cab and quiet ride. however, I am 6'6" and having lots of problems fitting in front seat area because of the divider wall, seat height and wheel well. the seat is also curved for shorter people causing me to "hunch" when driving (I did a youtube video about the problems)

anyway, none of these individually are deal breakers and mostly be dealt with through time & money (new seat, moving rear wall, etc)

a couple of people have encouraged me to look into step vans as a solution to solve all the problems above. so I test drove a step van a couple days ago and loved it... well all except for the extreme motor noise. 

my question is are all step vans with a cummins 5.9 that loud? (I would have to drive a long distance to find another step van with cummins diesel). is it easy to insulate the engine doghouse and drivers cab area?

I'm also leaning this way because I learned about WVO conversions and also about the step vans getting 17mpg vs my 10mpg. 

what other pros/cons should I be thinking about when comparing my current box truck for a conversion?

thanks in advance!

I've always like the idea that on a box truck, if at any point I needed/wanted a new vehicle, unbolting the box and placing it on another cut-away is a fairly simple process.

I looked hard at step vans too, but I found that they held their value/price to a degree I found absurd...what I could get for $10-$12k was nothing I wanted near without mechanic skills I don't have. Fabber has a nice Twinkie Motel (former Hostess step van)...too bad he quit posting updates.

if you are looking for MPG, I would be looking a the 4BT engine instead of the 6BT. highdesertranger

7wanders -

There are PLENTY of ways to reduce engine noise in a box van. They were not built with low noise in mind, so it is easy to make gains on the problem. A search on "automotive sound deadening" is all you need to start researching. Up front by the engine, heat is also a concern, and you will find materials that address both problems.

There are also a lot of resonances in those van bodies, so you will be pleasantly surprised how much quieter things will be after insulating the rest of the van. I am a big proponent of closed cell spray foam for that purpose, and it is a good low-frequency noise dampener.

For the sake of clarity, here's some additional Cummins diesel engine info (not that you asked for it): the early 5.9 Cummins (with mechanical injection) is designated the 6bt. That denotes 6 cylinders, the "b" series engine block, and a turbocharger. The 4bt is the 4-cylinder version, with 3.9 liters displacement. These early engines have two valves per cylinder. The 4bt was common in older step vans, but due to its popularity for engine swap projects, step vans equipped with it have largely disappeared.

I'm wondering if you're looking at a newer step van with the electronically controlled engine? (The electronically injected version is called the ISB, and has four valves per cylinder...)

Anyway, the big differences between the 4 and the 6 cylinder engines are smoothness and power. The 6 wins both categories hands down. The 4 will deliver a few mpg better fuel economy, at the expense of smoothness, speed on hills and towing capacity. Given that noise level is your stated concern, I suspect you'd be happier with the 6...

cognitive dissonance said:
Anyway, the big differences between the 4 and the 6 cylinder engines are smoothness and power. The 6 wins both categories hands down. The 4 will deliver a few mpg better fuel economy, at the expense of smoothness, speed on hills and towing capacity. Given that noise level is your stated concern, I suspect you'd be happier with the 6...

I understand the 3TB's are the mileage kings, but I'm thinking the 6TB is probably the way to go for over the road traveling.
PS, CD, have you checked your PM's?

cognitive dissonance said:
7wanders -

There are PLENTY of ways to reduce engine noise in a box van. They were not built with low noise in mind, so it is easy to make gains on the problem. A search on "automotive sound deadening" is all you need to start researching. Up front by the engine, heat is also a concern, and you will find materials that address both problems.

There are also a lot of resonances in those van bodies, so you will be pleasantly surprised how much quieter things will be after insulating the rest of the van. I am a big proponent of closed cell spray foam for that purpose, and it is a good low-frequency noise dampener.

For the sake of clarity, here's some additional Cummins diesel engine info (not that you asked for it): the early 5.9 Cummins (with mechanical injection) is designated the 6bt. That denotes 6 cylinders, the "b" series engine block, and a turbocharger. The 4bt is the 4-cylinder version, with 3.9 liters displacement. These early engines have two valves per cylinder. The 4bt was common in older step vans, but due to its popularity for engine swap projects, step vans equipped with it have largely disappeared.

I'm wondering if you're looking at a newer step van with the electronically controlled engine? (The electronically injected version is called the ISB, and has four valves per cylinder...)

I'm looking at the 5.9 6bt (years 1994-2002) specifically for a future veggie oil conversion.

Hi there! We have been watching your videos for a while now...

I even mentioned your journey to another crvl poster, "Putt", as he also has a Stepvan.
We have a Chevy Express, so our journey is a little different!
Please feel free to check out our journey in the signature below! I would luv your thoughts about our build!

Anyway, after I mentioned you to the other guy, someone mentioned that you were on here!
Excellent! Sorry to hear about your eye infection, and I hope for a full recovery for you!

Look forward to seeing more of your build!
U roc, brother!!!

Such Fun!!!

galladanb said:
Anyway, after I mentioned you to the other guy, someone mentioned that you were on here!

Gee, I wonder who that "someone" could be? :p

There was plenty I loved about my step van, there was also a lot I didn't like and at the end of the day that won out. The biggest factor for me being the lack of payload I could toss into the thing as they aren't meant to carry a ton of weight. Mine had a 350cid in it, I actually liked that, easy to work on and get parts for and didn't vibrate like mad. I loved the aluminum box as well and found the entire thing simple, easy to work on and great for living in. Traveling less so and in the end I decided for trips within a couple hundred miles of where I lived I would opt for one, beyond that and it was a no go. I did a modest build and was already at 10,000 pounds, I just wasn't comfortable with it for my long adventures and it was a fair amount of work to put in a 450 mile day.

I looked for a box van as an option, mostly the smaller ones on the Chevy Express chassis and that would work well for me. I don't like diesel but if I did that would be a done deal, I would buy a larger box truck and call it done. I would go this route now but I don't like the box construction due to me specific things so I'm seeking other options.

I would do my research, this really comes down to the build you want to do and your traveling style more than anything and you didn't give any specifics in this post about those.

TucsonAZ said:
The biggest factor for me being the lack of payload I could toss into the thing as they aren't meant to carry a ton of weight. 

Just feel the need to mention here that step vans come in a wide variety of capacity. Frito Lay delivery vehicles on't need hardly any capacity at all. My Morgan Olson step van was built for the Chicago Tribune and could be filled with newspapers...and that would weigh a lot. Mine is 10,000lbs. empty, and has a GVRW of 19,500lbs. I can put up to 9000 pounds of stuff in it....plenty!

My biggest deciding factor was that the step van bed is about two steps higher than a box truck. As I age (60 now, planning to retire and go full time in two years) those extra two steps will add up.

The other one is the cab-to-cabin pass through door. I plan to put a garage/shed behind the rear roll-up door that is completely separate and has a separate air system to keep chain saw and volatiles smells at bay. I will not be able to access the cabin from the shed, so I have to have that front access. On a step van that's cake.

Note: I'm not living in it yet, still in the middle of building Putt (it's name) so I don't know these things from experience. YMMV.

Oh....here's another reason I love my step van and wouldn't trade it for a box van.

As a motorcyclist, I experience immersion in the environment I'm traveling though. Moto folks often call cars "cages."
They are dramatically different experiences.

The view out the front windows of a step van is simply spectacular relative to any other four wheeled normal vehicle.
It's not a motorcycle, but it's as close as I've ever come in a cage.

Putts said:
Just feel the need to mention here that step vans come in a wide variety of capacity. Frito Lay delivery vehicles on't need hardly any capacity at all. My Morgan Olson step van was built for the Chicago Tribune and could be filled with newspapers...and that would weigh a lot. Mine is 10,000lbs. empty, and has a GVRW of 19,500lbs. I can put up to 9000 pounds of stuff in it....plenty!

Not unheard of but rarely with a 4 or 5 speed transmission and highway gears. I loved my stepvan, a lot actually but couldn't live with the compromises for my type of travel.

TucsonAZ said:
...this really comes down to the build you want to do and your traveling style more than anything and you didn't give any specifics in this post about those.

I hope I am not letting the cat out of the bag too much, but:

7Wanders has an entire series of videos on youtube, he bought the stepvan and is slowly upfitting it as time, scheduling, and I assume money, allows.

Basically, he wants to end up with a traveling book-mobile social room. Have some tea, sit by the fireplace, read or borrow a book about traveling. Its a neat idea...and I wish him well with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiehnvEFQoPHv1FGUxfNA8g/videos

Talk with your local FedEx or UPS delivery drivers sometimes and ask them what they think of theirs - pretty common vehicles in that industry. FritoLay and a few other bakery-Hostess type companies also use them. It's true that payloads vary but the step vans aren't made specifically to haul potato chips... I think that UPS orders theirs custom to their taste, just like Uhaul orders theirs the way they want.

At 6'6 you do have a problem with things that I never even considered at 5'7...  :-/

I guess I should do an update. I posted the original question of pros/cons of step van vs box truck. at the time I owned a 2000 GMC box truck. after driving it about 3k miles, I decided the box truck was not for me. In April I sold it and bought a step van which I am now converting. I'm much happier with the step van over the box truck for many reasons. ultimately, as others have mentioned, it is a personal choice, but I'm ecstatic with my choice and happy I made the switch.

[video=youtube]