Big Blue version 3.0

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the porch light, I never thought about installing one on my van. Perfect for after dark dog walks. Your van is looking great!

Man, lookin' really good in there. The porch light is a nifty addition.

Some nights it might draw bugs as ours does. We like cheapo solar yard lights most of the time. Low level ground light that isn't blinding so you can maintain what night vision some of us oldsters have left. We've rarely used ours.

Tim Allen’s iconic phrase, “so I rewired it” echoed in my thoughts as I made some more additions to the van interior. Previously, there has been only one shore-power outlet inside the van that was easy to access. The second (of two) outlet was under the bed near the batteries. While that is a fine location for a battery charger (which I do not use), it is not so great for daily use.

In order to make it more daily-use-friendly I had to relocate it to the wall of the new bed/couch. This was achieved very simply by purchasing a 6 foot heavy gauge extension cord, and a new outlet. After wiring the cord to the outlet, it was then mounted where I wanted it and the cord was simply plugged in to the wall under the bed/couch. This still gives me an open plug underneath, along with two freshies at the bed/couch, right beside the inverter.

2014 floorplan.jpg

Also new, is the addition of another outlet above the side doors. The wiring has existed in that location since I removed a lamp that was mounted there by the manufacture. They must have all been midgets because anyone of a normal height (like me) would hit his or her head on that lamp every time he/she entered or exited the side doors. After enough bruises, I removed the lamp but left the wiring intact. It too has been recycled into a 120v outlet for uses known only to my future self at this time.

IMG_2075.JPG IMG_2085.JPG

There are now four outlets in the van, three of which are accessible for daily use… a 300% gain.

Attachments

• 2014 floorplan.jpg
    2014 floorplan.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 44
VanTramp,
Can you tell us a little more about your occasional use of the 5000 BTU a/c unit in a window? I would really like to know which window you place it in and how it is supported, as well as where you stow it.
Many thanks!
Vickie

Bare with me on the unfinished A/C mounting... I am off to Lowe's this afternoon to purchase the finishing pieces.

So last year I mounted the A/C in the passenger window by simply rolling the window up which held the unit in place. The issue with that was that I had to remove the A/C any time I wanted to drive somewhere (visibility and all).

So this year I decided to remove a window from one of the rear doors and mount the A/C in that open space. The spare tire would be used to add a little extra rigidity. It uses the original window seals to keep the weather out.

It is a bit "ghetto" with the wood replacing the window, but that is why I am going to Lowe's... to pickup a piece of galvanized sheet metal ($9) to replace the wood. The wood was just to get a template as it is much easier to work with. Sheet metal will be painted and give a more finished look. Of course, wood can be used, just give it a good weather-proofing finish to prevent the first rain from rotting it. I just want to give it a more finished look.

Holding it in place are four sink mounting brackets ($4) with "clamps" through the wood/metal and holds onto the opposite side. The A/C unit is then plugged into the shore-power outlet under the bed/couch.

Lastly, the Ex is going to sew up a weather proof cover that will hide the A/C, snapping into place, when not in use.

I could leave the A/C there year round, but it is a bit ghetto. As we get to better weather, I will remove it (4 screws) and reinstall the window (3 screws). The A/C unit will go into storage where it sits each winter.

Yep, I am finally getting with the 21st century. A smart-phone (which has proven to be not-so-smart after all) and now LED lights inside the van. I had already installed LED recessed lighting (above) a few months back, but now even the normal lamps have LED bulbs in them, making a nice white as opposed to the stained-tooth-yellow that I had before.

IMG_2103-1024x639.jpg

IMG_2110-1024x640.jpg

Also note the new support which holds the center weight of the long overhead shelf. It replaces the ghetto looking 1X1 that was in place before. This is a little cleaner looking and allows me to better use the counter top. (PS – I raised the shelf two inches as well, it helps a lot)

My final completed project, for now, was the desk drawer. I saved it for last because I was not sure I had the skill to do it. At first I thought I would buy a pre-made drawer , but I went for making one myself anyway. Plus, this drawer is a huge 26 inches wide by 18 inches deep (go big, right?)

IMG_2114-1024x833.jpg

IMG_2115-1024x497.jpg

Now that I feel I have completed the 2014 build, I wish I had gone ahead and replaced the wall panels when I had the chance. With all the freshly stained and new wood in there, the old walls really stand out. It is a bit larger of a project then it sounds; involving removing the ceiling, upholstered top-panels, and the windows before I can rip out the old stuff. When I do get around to doing that, I will not reinstall the upholstered areas and instead go with stained wood paneling… 2015?

Attachments

• IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 53
VanTramp,
Thank you for the quick reply with details on your a/c set-up. I think the sheet metal insert is going to look great--as do all of your recent improvements. For me, the good news here is that you were able to make do on occasion with the a/c in the passenger side window when stopped. I just wish one could be folded up and stuffed under a seat when not in use!
Thanks again!
Vickie

Another quick addition before I call the 2014 rebuild finished; A bookshelf above my desk.

IMG_2121-754x1024.jpg

Well, sometimes I do things backwards. Safety often takes a back seat in my plans, but today it finally makes the headlines with the installation of new smoke ($3 @ Walmart) and carbon monoxide ($17 @ Walmart) detectors on the van. Together with the two fire extinguishers, I feel a bit more confident in myself if there was a middle of the night emergency. {Fingers crossed}

IMG_2124-1024x960.jpg

VT, I gotta say yours is one of the nicest set ups I've seen! v3.0 has pretty much everything I'd want in a van and beautifully done as well. Very inspiring! I can't wait to get my van and start gittin' 'er done!
Lugh

Thanks all. I am really enjoying the new setup and I'm pleased how it has turned out as well. I cant wait to get back on the road. I am urban camping for a few more months before getting back into a road trip come Autumn. Then the new build gets the true shake-down. As it is right now, things are easy... 120v power, A/C, Microwave, daily showers... too easy.

My Mother and Sister will understand; we are never content with the status quo when it comes to the furniture. Since I can not longer relocate pieces within the van, I have instead chosen to add to it.

It’s an idea that has been pecking away at the far recesses of my mind for the past month. At the foot of the bed (or head, which ever way you care to see it) has been only empty space. Moose’s crate has occupied that space, but he rarely uses his crate anymore. It had become wasted space, the sin of all sins for a van dweller. A plan was devised to find something better, something useful to my daily life, to inhabit that area.

IMG_9736-200x300.jpg

It is an extension of the kitchen that became the $35 sheet of sanded plywood I had bought just for the occasion, allowing me to move my stove to it’s own dedicated area. Moving the 2 burner stove freed up much needed counter space on the opposite side of the van. It would also eliminate the middle of the night BZZZZZZ when my fridge kicks on causing the stove to vibrate… a primary goal I must admit. You wont believe how many times I have been awaken by the heavy metal band that my stove and fridge are members of. There I am, naked, banging on the counter (as if I am the drummer in the band) in hopes that one of the bare buttocks one-two punches to the counter top will cause the vibrating to stop. Graceful is not the descriptor I would use but it was an all too often midnight event.

Below the stove is another storage compartment which can hold 8 1-gallon jugs of water and below that is even more storage; something every van dweller needs more of.

Cooktop-1024x576.jpg

storage-1024x576.jpg

Nice job. I like the stove/water set up. Organized is good!
I may have missed it but did you get the inverter and house plug wiring changed in regard to the shore power? Did you do a transfer switch?

I did wire up a male-to-male wire to try the inverter to outlet idea. I got to try it on a weekend camping... then I came back from camping, plugged the van in, and blew up my inverter. Obviously I did not do the transfer switch. I just need to put something in my 120v inlet plug to remind me to unplug from the inverter before plugging back into shore power, otherwise it worked great!

Van-Tramp said:
I did wire up a male-to-male wire to try the inverter to outlet idea. I got to try it on a weekend camping... then I came back from camping, plugged the van in, and blew up my inverter. Obviously I did not do the transfer switch. I just need to put something in my 120v inlet plug to remind me to unplug from the inverter before plugging back into shore power, otherwise it worked great!

Do the transfer switch sometime. Its very low tech and an easy install. If you can do that nice of work on the rest of the van you can do the transfer switch.

http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/im-cooking-now/

The kitchen addition re-sparked an old idea; having an oven. I had been using my Dutch Oven, but just this week it has been replaced with a new Camp Chef Camping Oven which just happened to fit perfectly into the van’s new kitchen. The oven is large enough to fit a full size 13X9 pan and still has two burners up top, replacing my previous stove.

So exciting! the first task at hand was to try it out on a tray full of cookie dough, and then gorging on said cookies. Long story short, the oven works wonderfully and I laid awake last night thinking of all the eating possibilities that are in my future. I foresee a gain of weight in my future thanks to copious servings of cookies, pies, breads, and the like.

IMG_0115.JPGIMG_0120.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 23
Big Blue version 4.0 - overload springs, heavy duty shocks, load range H tires; to handle Van-Tramps increased girth :D
I'm a chocoholic and that plate of cookies you show has me drooling all over my keyboard :p

Luisafernandes said:
You could always take up running or biking to help displace the extra calories...

Luisafernades, he would have to bike all day to burn off one tray of cookies. -- Spiff

Van-Tramp said:
I foresee a gain of weight in my future thanks to copious servings of cookies, pies, breads, and the like.

I have a couple bread recipes I could send your way. I bake bread every year for the family at Thanksgiving and Christmas

LeeRevell said:
I'd be doing home-made pizza!

I also have a pizza recipe. I last made it a month ago for the stage crew at work.