"Big Blue" Econoline extended van conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdhg

Reaction score
This thread is about converting an old van into a camper van. It will be used for road trips and camping out. I based my design on the VW Westfalia design and made some modifications to suite my needs.

In the future I want to add a solar electric system and refrigerator so I am trying to designing the interior so that I have the option to add these systems as I go.

The biggest take-away from this project has been dealing with trade-offs, It seems that if you want to add in one area you have to take away from another. For example: If I wanted to have a surfboard locker i would have to make the bed narrower and loose some cabinet space, or when deciding on whether to install a roof vent, I would gain ventilation but lose stealth. This has been a common theme through out the project and every decision has been this way. In the end I had to decide what I value most and what I can live without.

I have attached photos, if anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer

Regards, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    90.3 KB
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    50.3 KB
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    46.4 KB
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    48.7 KB
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    37.9 KB
Here are a couple more photos. The area outlined in red is going to be surfboard locker, the area outlined in yellow will be a fishing pole locker. The galley/kitchenette will be forward of this cabinet/chest.

Regards, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    36.8 KB
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    43 KB
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    42.2 KB
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    70.4 KB
I hear ya about trade off's... that open slate will allow you to make what's more important priority. Awesome!! (and keep the pics comin' ;) )

Looks great Matt.... Love the work so far.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I got some more work done on the van this week, without further ado the pics.

Regards, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    129.6 KB
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    115.2 KB
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    160.7 KB
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    125 KB
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    105.3 KB
There will be a closet for hanging shirts in the front half of the tall cabinet/closet and there will be shelves in the back half where the sliding door is. The bed will be in between the wall and the cabinet and will fold up into a couch. I hope to get the cabinet/closet and bed completed this week and then start on the kitchenette.

Regards, Matt.

One thing to keep in mind, is weight and balance.  Just a couple hundred pounds over GVW and on the wrong side will make for a few problems, such as tilt, bottoming out, blown tires...

But it looks great so far. :D

Pictures might be better than jibberish links

The rear shelves are complete. The door slides for easy access, with a convenient thumb hole.
IMG_0417.jpg

The bed/couch was a little tricky, I ended up making a hinge out of some 2x4's and some 1/2" black pipe. I drilled holes in the bed rails and the 2x4's attached to the bottom of the bed. Then I drilled 4 or 5 holes along the frame of the seat-back and filed it smooth with a rasp.Next I assembled it and installed the whole contraption in place. Finally I put some stop blocks on the underside so it dropped into place and stayed put.
IMG_0433.jpg

To turn the bed into a couch raise it up and it kindly drops into place just before 90 degrees. To go into bed mode lift the seat back out of the slots and it can be lowered to the bed rails.
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg
Now time to go hang out in the woods for a bit.

Regards, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    121.8 KB
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    140.1 KB
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    105.3 KB
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    101.2 KB
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    105.3 KB
I want to put 3 foam cushions on the bed, Does anyone know where to get some custom made foam cushions that are comfortable to sleep on?

Here is the camping spot

IMG_0452.jpg

Regards, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    165.4 KB
An upholstery shop in your area can make them for you or just sell you the foam. You want to get high grade furniture foam. Show him what you are doing and he can make it just like you want.

An option is to cut a thin piece of plywood to the size of the three pieces of foam and then wrap the foam in your fabric and staple it at the bottom to the plywood. I had a friend who did that and it worked well.

Great job on the van!!
Bob

That looks nice! What did you use for the wall paneling and ceiling?