Bicycle versus Towing a Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likefireworks

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere.<br><br>I have not purchased my motor home yet, but I should have enough saved to buy it by August. When I leave, I'm thinking about leaving my car behind instead of towing it along with me, and buying a bicycle with a basket to take along on the road. I figure this way my dog can ride along with me, I can carry grocery items and other things, and I won't have the extra weight pulling down already terribly gas mileage. I'm trying to make my final decision about taking a bike or towing my car in advance, so I can either budget for a trailer and extra gas money or find a bike that I like and will work for what I want it for. <br><br>I'm sure in city type areas, this would be fine, but I'm not sure how well it would work when I'm not staying in a city. Having never traveled all that extensively before, I really don't know what to expect. Has anyone else done it this way? If so, did it work? Or did you just wish you'd brought your car along the entire time? Any pros and cons from people with experience are much appreciated. <br><br>

Bicycle is the way to go. You can even stick a motor (gas or electric) to get you around without pedaling. No insurance, cheap and readily available parts, light as a feather (when compared to a motorcycle/moped/scooter, and most definitely a car), and takes up very little space. <br>

livefireworks, a bike is a great addition to the small rv / van life! &nbsp;I recently bought one and have had a great time with it! &nbsp;You can't go wrong with a bike IMO. &nbsp;Towing anything can be a royal pain, I know some are good at it but I don't like towing! &nbsp;You can even get a bike carrier that fits a 2" hitch receiver!<div>-AK</div>

&nbsp;When I was still vacationing down south, a lot of people had either quads or Honda Trail (step through frames) m.cycles. Still and all, a motorized mountain bike will take you anywhere they can and, even though they generally don't go any faster than abt. 40 Km/h, they'll get ya there.. and at 150-250 MPG for gas andmaybe free for electric.&nbsp; <br>

<p>Wow..that rack holds a lot of weight!&nbsp; I'd be able to get my KLR on that one.</p>

Yup, agree with Ped as well. I'm just going a slightly vintage route with the Honda CT 110 (if I can find the right one).<div><br></div>

nice idea on the bike, we bike quite a bit in good weather, but the moped or small motorcycle with a&nbsp; way for you to disconnect it easily and reconnect would be a good way to go for practicality. darrell<br>

I say take both, every day is not the sunny paradise out here... And when you are biking in the rain for 10 miles one way you will seriously rethink and kick yourself... Also there are the side trips where RV's don't fit... I can envision many times where a car would be better or fit the task at hand better than a bike...This is one of those plans where it looks good on paper, but does not work in the field...<br>

I have a bicycle packed in my motorhome, and have not taken it out yet in the six months I've been fulltiming.&nbsp; I'm not in shape for a 10 mile round trip up-down hill, which is about the closest I've parked to where I would want to shop.&nbsp; Part of the problem is it is burried in a compartment.<br><br>To get my summer job, my employer insisted I have an alternate vehicle, so I arraged the loan of a car if I don't have a toad yet at that point.&nbsp; I'll be in walking distance to a tiny community, but the nearest real shopping will be 30 miles away and a big city 60 miles away.<br><br><br>

First, be honest with yourself, will you really ride the bike? We all promise ourselves we will so we can get fit and save money, buy a bike, then never ride it. Unless you have a proven track record of riding bikes, I would expect that to happen to you. <br><br>You don't tell us enough about yourself, so I will try to cover all the variables. It is very hard to stealth park in an RV in the city, so if you are in a city, you will probably be in a RV park. Bikes work great there. But Soul raven is right, storms happen and some things are just too far to ride to. If you are getting a trailer, you can drive the tow vehicle then, if you buy a motorhome, you will greatly regret not having a small car. <br><br>If you camp on public land, the distances are too great to ride a bicycle. The usefullness of 50cc motorized bikes is being greatly exaggerated here. They will barely climb hills and you are going to to have to pedal up them. <br><br>TOW A CAR! They are very easy to hook up and take off and they trail well. I have a friend with an old Class C and he tows an 80's Ford Festiva that gets an honest 40 mpg. he also has a 50cc motorized bike that he likes a lot. But most of the time, they just are just not practical transportation. I've watched him hook up and unhook the car many times. Every time I am amazed at how easy it is. it takes him less than 5 minutes and there is no frustration. Easy as pie. He has all his bases covered, he has his car, motorized bike, and regular bike. I promise you, he wouldn't even consider being without that car. bob<br><br>

I mountain bike a lot. I am looking into buying a street bike to use in addition to my mountain bike. These pros and cons hve definitely been helpful. My car is pretty small (2001 ford focus zx3) so I know towing it wouldnt be too huge of a pain. The cost is the factor making me hesitate the most.

As far as cities, I do plan on staying in rv parks and have been researching and making lists of ones I like in cities I plan on going to.

<P>
(2001 ford focus zx3)
<BR><BR>You may want to use a search engine for this vehicle to see if it can be towed 4 down....if so you may have to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery each time you tow.<BR><BR>Also in addition to the&nbsp; hitch installation and safety chains....you will need lights hooked up or a lightbar that comes on when your rig is using turn signals...brakes...ect.<BR></P><P>You may need to invest in electric brakes also that keep the tow....from using you rigs brake.....also on a tow dolly.<BR><BR>I don't know but I believe most standard transmission Fords can be towed with little problem...<BR><BR>If you have to use a tow dolly with 2 up wheels....some parks don't allow them on your site after you disconnect and have to put them in the storage lot...because some consider them a third vehicle...<BR><BR>If you just overnight and do not disconnect your fine.<BR><BR>Cost for towing hook ups is not cheap....do not go to Harbor Freight and places like that and get that type of "Y" tow bar.....those are only good enough in my opine to help pull a disabled car/truck off the highway short distance...not for long roads and big trips.<BR><BR>I used to tow a Ford Ranger 4 down behind a rig 36' long so you must also allow for passing distance and fuel stops in travel.<BR><BR>Sometimes you can find something used on Ebay Craigslist or campground bulletin boards.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR></P>