Best camper stove and why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reset.Suzette

Reaction score
In your opinions (preferably based on experience); what is the best indoor/outdoor cooking stove for mobile cooking and why?

Please include things like what it runs on, weight (for portability), how many burners, cost, warrantees, maintaince, longevity (how long it's supposed to last you), ect...

I've done some research but I figured a thread like this would give me more insight 'strait from the horses mouth' -so to say.

(I did a search on this topic here and was stunned to find a lot of people post topics on specific stove elements but there were no searchable thread on a main comparison so I figured I'd start one.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...U-Propane-Camp-Stove-with-Wind-Guard/23623718
It is a 2 burner propane camp stove.  I wanted something low and thin that was wide and very stable.  The one burner things that sit on top of the propane tank look to me to be too tall to be stable.  I used 4 nylon zip ties to attach the stove to a piece of plywood wide enough to support the stove and the propane can. That makes it so I can move it around and the propane stays with it.  I have some small wood blocks that I use to level the plywood.  I don't think I have ever parked where it was level.

I use one pound propane cans that I refill to about a half pound.  That leaves plenty of expansion space.  People give me empty used only once almost new cans.  The one pound can is much more convenient than a 20 pound tank and a hose when moving the stove around.  With the plywood it is easy to take it out and put it on a picnic table.

I keep a long Bic fireplace lighter to light the stove.  It ran out of butane long ago but the sparker still sparks so I keep using it.

I used to have a Coleman dual fuel gasoline stove but it started acting up making lots of black smoke.  I gave it to a boy scout leader who thought he could sort it out.  Refilling the gasoline tank is definitely an outside job.  Sometimes those stoves puff up a big flame that can be surprising.  I'm glad I have the propane stove.

The Walmart web page doesn't list the weight.  None of it is cast iron, none is aluminum.  It is light enough to move it around and take it out of the van easily with two hands.  It has 2 burners.  It is $34.97 today, I think I paid $39.  I don't know about the warranty.  Mine has performed flawlessly.  There aren't any parts that wear out like pump pistons.  I expect it to last longer than my van.

The word best is a relative term. For my minimalist living in a Prius I needed a small but versatile single burner stove. For the available space this one below worked best overall as it is also dual fuel (propane & butane), although I normally use butane. I don't travel with a carrying case as it takes up valuable space.

Brent

On Amazon: GAS ONE NEW GS-3400P Dual Fuel Portable Propane & Butane Camping and Backpacking Gas Stove Burner with Carrying Case (GOLD)

I don't like cooking in my travel trailer if I can avoid it. I have a big 3 burner Camp Chef with a 2 burner BBQ box and a griddle that I bring when camping with lots of friends. It's really heavy.

When it is just my family, I use a single burner butane stove (similar to Camp Chef Butane 1 Burner Stove with Camping Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z7WSJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8MFpybHY87994). Asian grocery stores typically have the best prices on the butane canisters.

I started off using a 2 burner Coleman propane stove but found it took up too much space on the kitchen counter. I was having to prep everything then set up the stove. If I needed space to do something part way through, well you could just forget it because the stove took up all the counter space.

I now use a single burner butane stove for cooking inside the van. It takes up a whole lot less of the counter area, packs away nicely in it's plastic carrying case - important since the butane is supposed to be carried upright!! AND if I need the counter space I can easily move it to another spot.

Cooking on one burner takes a bit of practice but I apply the same principles as we do when out in the bush on a canoe trip. If I'm cooking pasta for example, I'll bring the water to a boil, add the pasta, cook for maybe 4 or 5 minutes on low, then move the pot to a silicone heat pad (to protect the counter). The residual heat will continue to cook the pasta and in another 4 or 5 minutes it's done. In the meantime I'm heating the sauce for on it. I can cook a meat/potato/vegetable meal the same way. I've also taken to using my steamer to heat leftover meat. The other night I did it with peas in the bottom water and heated leftover turkey and dressing in the steamer! :)

I've just ordered in a dozen cans of butane through Amazon because store prices are too high. I can get a good deal on butane when I'm in Quartzite this winter so I'll stock up again on it then.

And bonus, if I ever need to cook for a crowd I have 3 burners to work with.... :D

For just a single choice for cooking inside a vehicle, I'd definitely go with the butane. It isn't as cheap to operate as a propane with a 20 lb tank but it sure is more compact.

I cook twice a day usually and also heat water for dishes/tea and generally get 5 to 6 days out of a canister of butane.

Best stove EVER!!!! One burner is blazingly HOT!!!!

Dave

I use a small butane back pack stove here at the house. It's on its last legs or I should say last canister of butane since it is no longer available but I have already picked up the $20 replacement stove from Walmart for when I have to switch to the newer containers.

I am not sure why but I find the butane much faster at making a moka pot of espresso than a propane stove. In a tight situation the tiny butane stove and canisters take up little room fitting inside the two pots that came with it. The last thing is the fumes from the butane bother me less than propane does.

Reset.Suzette said:
In your opinions (preferably based on experience); what is the best indoor/outdoor cooking stove for mobile cooking and why?

Please include things like what it runs on, weight (for portability), how many burners, cost, warrantees, maintaince, longevity (how long it's supposed to last you), ect...

I've done some research but I figured a thread like this would give me more insight 'strait from the horses mouth' -so to say.

(I did a search on this topic here and was stunned to find a lot of people post topics on specific stove elements but there were no searchable thread on a main comparison so I figured I'd start one.)

These are what I use.  I use them every single day and have for over ten years now.  They work indoors and outdoors.  I currently own three.  Have owned four.  See below under "longevity" for what happened to the fourth one.

What it runs on: Denatured alcohol, the same thing that they use for marine stoves.  Compared to other stove fuels, it's incredibly safe.  Doesn't explode, doesn't require a fancy vented container, and the fire can be put out with plain water.  Very, very low carbon monoxide emissions too.

How much they cost: Around $15-20 a pop.  Denatured alcohol is dirt cheap, too.

Maintenance: Uh...wipe it off every once and a while?

Longevity: Well, I'm still using the first second one I ever bought.  What happened to the first one? Well, I'd bought a Chinese made knockoff and it cracked from running it dry/overheating it.  What can I say...it was my "starter/learning" model.  Kind of like that beater your dad gets you when you're learning to drive for the first time. :) Anyway, the real ones hold up just fine if you don't abuse them.

Etc.: I cook my eggs, grilled cheese, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. with it in the morning.  Boils water for tea and coffee too.  Cooks soup for lunch.  I've pan fried steaks, fish, etc. for dinner.  I've even used them to do some dry baking.

That Triangia stove ^^, I have one of those too. BUT I keep it for backpacking/canoeing because I found that my regular cooking pots don't fit well on the pot supports and I don't want to use my very lightweight meant for the stove pots for everyday use.

IMO, it's too tippy to be used IN the van. It's that tippiness that had me using the two burner Coleman and now the butane stove. I didn't even bring it up for that reason.

Almost There said:
I found that my regular cooking pots don't fit well on the pot supports and I don't want to use my very lightweight meant for the stove pots for everyday use.

IMO, it's too tippy to be used IN the van. It's that tippiness that had me using the two burner Coleman and now the butane stove. I didn't even bring it up for that reason.

Ah, that's why I use the Mojo pot stands:
maxresdefault.jpg

(Picture is from Hiram Cook's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHiramCook Check him out...lot's of great stove tests and stuff!)

Anyway, I use standard pots and pans with my Trangia/Mojo stands.  I even use heavy cast iron pots and pans with no fear of things going...sideways.  But, if you're really worried about tipping (and, believe me, I understand...it's no fun catching yourself and your home on fire/burning yourself!), there are a ton of solutions out there.  Just Google "Trangia pot stands." It can be done!

Couple of thoughts:

Stove tops for rvs, like stoves for homes, have sensors built into them to shut the flow of gas off if the flame goes out.  Camp stoves don't have these, which is why they are not supposed to be used inside.  If you do want to use one, don't go off and leave it unattended.

You mentioned using the same stove outside as inside.  Butane canisters top working at 32 F.  Propane canisters work down to -40F.  Something to keep in mind if you want to cook in cold weather.

If you want a stove that's will last forever because it's damn near indestructable, you want one of the Partner Steel stoves, used by whitewater rafting companies:

http://partnersteel.com/prod01.htm

They do? must be a new thing, because the Coleman 3 burner w/ oven in my old travel trailer will happily fumigate the place with LP if the flame goes out
I'll have to try it with the new one and see if it cuts flow, just cause I gotta see for myself

Yeahhhh Be careful cleaning our stove because you can turn a knob and not know it until you smell it or the alarm goes off.

djkeev said:
Best stove EVER!!!! One burner is blazingly HOT!!!!

Dave
Thanks Dave!  Been looking to replace my two burner coleman with more BTU's. Hadn't had time to research any.  Looked this one up and it has excellent reviews on top of your happy review.  Think this will be my Christmas present to myself this year.  Unless I can find a comparable made in the USA unit, this will be the one.

Matt

I like the older Camp Chef, when they were made in the USA. the newer Chinese crap not so much. I own both and have never had a problem with my older Camp Chef with the newer many problems. highdesertranger

DwelledLongAgo said:
These are what I use.  
What it runs on: Denatured alcohol

Etc.: I cook my eggs, grilled cheese, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. with it in the morning.  Boils water for tea and coffee too.  Cooks soup for lunch.  I've pan fried steaks, fish, etc. for dinner.  I've even used them to do some dry baking.

Ts is actually my favored thus far but I have a few questions seeing as you have one... if you would be so kind:

When cooking in your vehicle, aproximatly how long and how much alcohol does it take to boil and cook, say- a pot of boiled eggs or water for a cup of coffee/tea and oatmeal? 

A the end of cooking, how do you put out the fire? isn't it too hot to try and cap and smother the flame? 

Hw would you clean excess goodness forbid the alchol spilled? 

Wat kind of surface is this recommended on? I assume the little canister gets hot as well as the cooking stand you posted in your last post.

A if I were to make this element, with the cooking stand 'standard' (fixed) to a recessed surface in a vehicle, would you a. put it near a vented area or window? and b. what materials would yu affix it to and how?

Thank you all for your posts, please keep em coming!

@DwelledLongAgo
Aslo- do you have a link for where you got your [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Trangia/Mojo stands and fuel? [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I can only find similar ones on Amazon but they don't look as efficent. [/font]