Best camper stove and why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I like the stainless ones alot more then the aluminium ones, and experimenting with the penny stoves was alot of fun when I first started van dwelling. I ultimately abandoned them because of the boil-over issue with the stoves. I set the bed platform in my van on fire one night and decided that pressure stoves are safer and easier to control.

Still, the Swedish mess kit is a great design. I really can't think of another stainless mess kit that can rival it in quality.

This one's the best!

Coleman-Fold-N-Go-2-Burner-Stove.jpg

And here's why:

1. It has two burners, which suits my cooking style. :cool:

2. When folded up, it fits in the space I have available for storage. :p

3. It was a gift, so I didn't have to pay for it. :angel:

I like my coleman 2 burner stove with closeable lid. that is kept set up in van, I also use it for heat, and when not being used I can close it and have surface area to prep on. 

I have a $20 walmart butane single burner for outside cooking of things that are too smelly to cook inside van or if its too hot in van, cant beat it for the money and it cooks much faster than propane in my experience.

When i make a big pot of rice or have to cook something that requires longer cooking times the propane is much more economical.

I really like the Camp Chef - really reliable and fast cooking - but it does take up quite a bit of space. 

Before that I used the Coleman dual fuel's for a couple of years but they ended up being quite unreliable.

oldogre said:
I have a $20 walmart butane single burner for outside cooking of things that are too smelly to cook inside van or if its too hot in van, cant beat it for the money and it cooks much faster than propane in my experience.

When i make a big pot of rice or have to cook something that requires longer cooking times the propane is much more economical.

I also have the single burner propane stove. I have timed it before, and it will boil approximately a liter of water in under two minutes.
Also figured out that if you are low on money, buy a case of Top Ramen and a couple packs of hot dogs, cook the Ramen per instructions, slice a couple hot dogs up, and when the Ramen is almost done, stir the hot dogs in, and Vas Las, you now have a tasty meal on the cheap.
The coffee pot is an older Revere Ware one that I found on ebay. It was in like new shape when I got it. :)
standard.jpg

i have been using my Coleman Butane stove for lots of one pot meals.