Best box truck for LA and city neighborhoods ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keolablue22

Reaction score
hi !
I’m researching which vehicle I might want , and I want to be able to be in cities a lot. I want to try the tiny house living without feeling like I’m in a car, which is why I’m looking to outfit a small or mid sized box truck on the inside and go stealth..

However , parking is already confusing - can people park box cars in neighborhoods even if they aren’t classified as commercial? If they’re under 22 feet it is alright, right? 

Can anyone clarify the rules in CA and other states about parking small to mid sized trucks (like uhauls and Isuzu’s)?

In cities and towns there frequently a width limit restriction for parking in residential neighborhoods at night. It is not about keeping people from sleeping in box trucks so don't think that is its intention. It is done because most residential streets in older neighborhoods are narrow and have cars parked along one or both sides of the streets. Wide vehicles such as box trucks stick out so far from the curb that emergency vehicles such as fire trucks can't get down the street. So when you are discussing neighborhoods you will find that while you can sometimes park box trucks on certain streets such as in industrial and some commercial zoned areas you likely can not park them overnight in a residential neighborhood.

The zoning regulations for parking are posted on the city website under the ordinances sections. Read very carefully looking for discussion about the length and the width of a vehicle as well as the hours and mentions of zoning for neighborhoods that are residential, commercial and industrial. Remember to also look at the map of the city which shows the city limits. Many areas are not just one big city they are made up of adjacent cities of varying sizes with only a small sign on the street indicating you have left one city and entered another. Those signs are very easy to miss and you will mostly see them on the main streets and some of the side streets don't have them posted.

Thanks!
I’ve gone and read LA city laws so I have some idea, but I think my question is more about what would be the ideal size to get away with in most cities, without having to study all the municipal laws too closely.. while still being roomy enough inside.

what would you do?

I would get a Spice Girls double decker bus if I could but I’m trying to tie my dreams into reality. haha

Of course I could park in commercial areas or friends’ driveways so this might not be as much of an issue as I think it could be? I just want to make sure I don’t get something too big and limit my accessibilities with it..

I wouldn't go any larger than a standard length, standard roof, full size van. A minivan would be better.

I just spent the summer in LA while having cancer treatment. I parked on the street in front of my friend's house. I had a permit for that street. Otherwise, parking is scarce and there's little room. Even parking lots are cramped.

That said, the smallest U-Haul box truck is only as long and wide as a standard van, but you get more headroom and straight walls that make buildout easier. U-Haul has listing for trucks they're selling.

https://trucksales.uhaul.com/Vehicles/Specs/TM?key=505

I am in Orange County a lot, they have width restrictions as well as length.

"but I think my question is more about what would be the ideal size to get away with in most cities"

you are NOT going to get away with anything. people are under the false impression that they can hide. this is a fallacy anybody who wants to know that you are living in your vehicle already knows that you are living in your vehicle. especially the LEO's.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I am in Orange County a lot,  they have width restrictions as well as length.

And some places have height restrictions, usually six feet. Can't have folks blocking the view.

I looked at that Uhaul used vehicle website. The smallest box truck I was for sale was 14' long. Lots of vans but no 10' long box trucks.

if i had to live in LA i would need something along these lines. 

who's gonna knock on that...

uav21065556369.jpg

Gypsy Freedom said:
if i had to live in LA i would need something along these lines. 

who's gonna knock on that...

uav21065556369.jpg
they will knock with their crowbar so they can steal it for their drug war :)

I've been in Los Angeles since September of this year, and right on the street I live there is a class "A" RV which has been parked all this time.  People have even called the police to have it checked, or removed, but the RV is still there, and no one messes with it.  There's also another Class A RV that comes and stays for a few days, takes off, and comes back again, and the weird thing about it is that they are parked close to an elementary school, and no one seems to notice.  This is weird LA, and that's how it is.  
RollingOM
P.S.
It is in the city of Rosemead

I mean, some people have called the police, but most people don't seem to notice.

Why is it any more weird that they are parked close to a school?

If you just stick to commercial and industrial areas you will not have any issue regardless of the rig you choose. Keep in mind the LEO's really don't give a shit, they only knock if they get a neighbor calling in to complain about you. That means the nicer your rig is the better you will be, this means no body damage, good paint job, clean exterior etc, are more important then the make/model/size. The size does come into play on certain streets but honestly those streets were signed due to neighborhoods complaints, so it's best not to live on those streets even if your rig fits. In SF the size restriction for such streets is 22' long and I believe 8' high, could be 7' I'm not sure. But really it's best to just find streets that don't have any restrictive signs like that. The best way to do it is pick 2-3 ideal spots and then to show up right as the street cleaning restriction expires to ensure a spot. In some of the more competitive areas you need to park well before the street cleaning time is up to get a spot. The only way to learn when the time is for those blocks is to be there and pay attention to when the street cleaner and meter maid go by. As soon as they leave the block, your good to park. On one of the blocks I park on in SF the weekly street cleaning time is 6am-8am on Fridays. The street cleaner usually comes by about 6:20-6:30 and there are cars and RV's lined up ready to park as soon as they sweep. By 6:35 the block is 80% full again even though the street cleaning restriction is still in place until 8am. This particular street is sandwiched in between a muni bus garage and the UCSF admin office where all the college cops park. No one lives on the block, so RV's can get away with parking there and rarely ever get 72hr notices. Also, don't fear the LEO's or the dreaded knock, if you park in a good spot there is a very good chance they will never bother you. If you do get a knock, all they do is tell you to move within 72hrs, it's not something that you need to go way out of your way to avoid. I would advise to be obvious that you live in the vehicle as it will be less likely to get broken into vs a stealth rig that looks like it's full of tools. I realize Bob and a lot of the people on this forum preach about stealth but they also do not live and park in huge populated CA cities. California cities have a lot of property crime combined with cops who are used to thousands of homeless people being everywhere. This means you need to flip it around from the rest of the country, don't protect yourself from the cops, protect yourself from the petty thieves.

Cammalu said:
Why is it any more weird that they are parked close to a school?

the "thought" is that there may be some "perv" hiding in the rig preying on the lil kidos

a stereotype that seams to endure

Thanks all!
It's looking like a smaller 10'-15' box would be the best. I have also noticed a lot of RVs around LA that no one does anything about..
I want to have a cab to box door that locks from both sides, and ideally hinged doors in the back although most are roll-ups. I'm building walls and insulating from the inside so hopefully that's enough security
Definitely planning on keeping it looking clean

Is there a place I can go to modify the box I get? I'm seeing grip trucks for film crews that have more height and are a lot more roomy, but they're harder to find as a shorter sized truck..
Are there height/length proportional laws about box trucks? Say if I added height to a 10' box..

Gypsy Freedom said:
the "thought" is that there may be some "perv" hiding in the rig preying on the lil kidos

a stereotype that seams to endure
I seem to remember someone on CRVL buying an ice cream truck to convert.  Or maybe they just posted a CL posting for an ice cream truck for sale.

I've been full timing it in LA the last two years. I have a high roof transit and for me that gives plenty of space. But to be honest you can pretty much park anything in LA and no one will really care. As long as you aren't in front of someones house. I see so many Class A's parked that I don't know how they get away with it. But again. It's LA and pretty much anything you do will be ignored as long as you aren't bothering someone or parking in front of their house.

The real question is mobility. I see a few of the same RV's moving around on a regular basis (just like I do). But my Transit can fit into pretty much any space where as something bigger might be searching quite a bit more to find a space to fit into. My van is also my daily driver so that is something to think about as well. If you are going to be parked in the same spot for days on end like the RV's I see all the time it might not be that much of a bother. But a box truck won't be easy to maneuver around the LA area. Parking lots are small with very tight parking. I would not want to be driving a box truck around on a regular basis.

With a van (even high roof vans) they have the same footprint as an F-150 pickup truck and are easy to drive and park anywhere. As much as I would like more space to live in I put a higher value maneuverability. Being able to go anywhere and park anywhere is worth a lot to me.

Just some things to consider if you don't already have a box truck already. Everything in van life is a compromise. You just have to find out what is important to you and how you want to live. What works for one won't work for the other. So find out what works for you and go with that.

As a side note I see more signs going up in neighborhoods that restrict height and length. Nothing longer then 20' and nothing taller then 7'. These restrictions are usually just for a few hours in the middle of the night. So pretty much just to keep people from parking RV's on certain streets. Still plenty of places to park though but I have seen more signs come lately.

deadwood said:
The real question is mobility. I see a few of the same RV's moving around on a regular basis (just like I do). But my Transit can fit into pretty much any space where as something bigger might be searching quite a bit more to find a space to fit into. My van is also my daily driver so that is something to think about as well. If you are going to be parked in the same spot for days on end like the RV's I see all the time it might not be that much of a bother. But a box truck won't be easy to maneuver around the LA area. Parking lots are small with very tight parking. I would not want to be driving a box truck around on a regular basis.

Exactly, pretty much you should choose a vehicle for your comfort level. If you want something as a daily driver you may eventually have to park in small grocery store lots so anything that takes up more space then a large pickup truck may become problematic. But if you plan to park and dock for long periods of time, those concerns get smaller.

Any city vehicle (Large Van, Box Truck, Step Van, Ambulance) can be converted to "live" in most cities unnoticed as long as it's PARKED LEGALLY. And honestly, it takes experimentation. Just don't expect to freely park on small neighborhood streets. You might fail a bit in the beginning. 

Most people will not realize you are living in it and the people that do won't care as long as you aren't doing things that irritate them (trash, smoking and drinking outside your rig) or having your rig unsightly in general. 

I would bet even those "frequently appearing" RVs have faced more police harassment for obviously being RVS, even if they've been successful in sticking around. Many people don't want to look "anti homeless" or "mean to poor people" so that can sometimes curb some harassment even if people don't like it. But, I'd rather be ignored in a vehicle that looks like a city vehicle then hoping I'll be ignored in an RV (currently in a minivan). They key is always the thought "is it unusual for this van to be here" and most box trucks would look weird parked on a random suburban street. But may look less weird parked in a parallel parking street in a city center where there are a few businesses, a couple houses, and an apartment complex. People will mostly not think to hard about it in the right environment.

For LA, I would say a good used armored truck. They get terrible fuel economy though. One theory of stealth camping is to be obvious. People distrust sneaky people. Hiding indicates that you know that you are doing something wrong. People are observant. you are not going to fool them into thinking you are not there. The nicer your rig looks the less that LE will be called.

Latest posts