Berkey water filters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The filters are about a hundred bucks for two. They charge a lot for the containers. This video shows how you can make a Berkey type filter with Walmart stainless steel stock pots.

You really only need a drill. He cut a lid of one pot to hold up the top section, but you could do that with a couple of sticks going across the top of the bottom pot. The point being it is the filters that do the work, not the water containers.

Whose name is stamped on the SS container is irrelevant! There are many that work just fine! Deciding which candles (& how many) are the important decisions!

As mentioned I run Doulton. For my needs I run 2 out of 4 spots (block the other 2) which gives me decent flow and lower maintenance.

I also changed to a SS spigot which I like pretty well so far!

SD

My Berkey is, hands down, the best purchase I've ever made. Period. I've had the travel Berkey (1 gallon) for about six years, but am considering getting a larger one.

That's the one I have, and I really love mine too. Even with tap water, it can make a huge difference. My dog stopped drinking the house water I access. It looked fine out of the spigot, but look at the bottom of the dog bowl or a glass and it looked white -- you couldn't see the bottom. Now it's clear and he doesn't hesitate.

It is a little small if you drink a lot of water. With me and my dog, I do have to put water in more than once a day. Dogs don't like water that stands too long and I have to change his and give it a scrub instead of just let him drink it all the way down or near there. It's the same anyplace with any water and all my family's dogs. I don't blame them; they have a lot of proteins in their spit that makes anything they lick etc. slimy. I know if I let a dog lick a saucepot out, for instance, it will take much longer to clean because I'll have to attack the slime several times over. Even a very big water bowl can get slimy in a day.

Dingfelder said:
That's the one I have, and I really love mine too.

It is a little small if you drink a lot of water.
True.  I've seen the set up with 5 gallon jugs that use a Berkey, so I'll be checking into that.  Personally, I fully intend of having plenty of clean water available and I'm not much into buying it.  I may not know what kind of van I'll be getting yet, but I know I'll be having at least a 20 gallon (or two 10 gallon) fresh water tank!  I don't drink soft drinks or alcohol, so it's just water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate for me.  Mostly water.

I did end up buying one and have had it for a while now and am so happy with the Travel Berkey size.
I am planning on flipping and attaching to the counter, the metal stand I bought from Berkey and using that to store it in when I am traveling.
Hitting the road for first time in a week - woot!

PattySprinter said:
I did end up buying one and have had it for a while now and am so happy with the Travel Berkey size.
I am planning on flipping and attaching to the counter,  the metal stand I bought from Berkey and using that to store it in when I am traveling.
Hitting the road for first time in a week - woot!

How is this working for you?

Do you drain it and store the water when you are actually underway?

So what does this magical filter do that a few inches of charcoal wont?If my understanding is right,a few inches of compressed charcoal is the best filter for water.What does the Berkey use for filtration?

bigskybob said:
So what does this magical filter do that a few inches of charcoal wont?If my understanding is right,a few inches of compressed charcoal is the best filter for water.What does the Berkey use for filtration?

Do a search on Berkey filter for the technical stuff. 
The white [font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Sterasyl Filter has been around since early 1800’s and is still used all around the world. Many locations they are just about an issue item for the military, state department, missionaries, relief workers, etc.[/font]
[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]There are many ways to filter water but these white or black filters are easy and effective for continuous operation.[/font]
[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]As this thread shows you don’t need the expensive Berkey brand of container to hold the filters and water. [/font]

Well,I went to the Berkey website and read their propaga----- er literature.They use coconut charcoal in their filters.Much cheaper to buy a small bag of charcoal,bust it up and put it in a bucket with small holes in the bottom.A charcoal filter for less than $10.If you're really worried about your water,just drink beer.

No you can not do a DIY system of charcoal in a bucket and get the same results as you would get with a Berkey Filter system. Putting charcoal in the bottom of a bucket will not result in a filtration system that results in removing harmful pathogens. You need very small micron sized filtration to make the drinking water safe, it is not just about the charcoal. There is science, engineering and extensive testing that goes into designing products that produce, safe, potable water.

You would need to use several secondary filter materials to remove the bits of loose material charcoal to make the water both clear and potable. It would look and taste very nasty without secondary filtration. Plus if the water was not from a municipal source it would need to be boiled to kill pathogens. The charcoal in those filters is bound into a matrix of materials that create a micron sized porous filter, it is not just a matter of dumping loose charcoal into a bucket. You can't replicate the filtration method doing it that way.

Never give out advice such as this one that is critical to protecting a persons health in an attempt to be humorous in a forum. It is not a considerate thing to do and does not add anything of value to a forum. Not all people will get it that you are making a joke. You could instead, unintentionally cause a person to become very ill with your attempts at humor. I am sure that you are a good person who would not want to cause someone the misery or even death that can come from drinking unsafe water.

Think before you post your concepts and take the time to do some investigative research before you post any concept ideas that involve health and safety. You learned how to do research when you were in school, use those skills that you were taught in science classes. Science is a required subject for a reason and part of that reason is to protect your health. If you want to present an idea for a water filter concept do your homework first before you present it. Then be sure you present it with the limitations of your filter regarding health and safety such as will it or will it not remove pathogens, will it remove lead or other hazardous metals, will it remove chemicals from the water, will it remove odors, will the water be clean and taste good after filtering, etc.

I should have been more specific and not such a smart ass. I agree 100% with maki. highdesertranger

I agree too.

A lot of stuff cannot be dual-purposed without putting some real thought into it. A recent example I came across was a new culinary fad, eating basil seeds. They form a lot of gloop around them when soaked. However, it's important not to just buy a package of seed randomly, as seeds are often treated with anti-fungals and insecticides. You'd want to buy something intended to be food-safe, instead. But it's easy for the average person to not think about such things ... in fact much easier to do it the wrong way out of ignorance ... and recommend others do the same.

Hey,
I want to use a Berkey. My questions are:

Does the filter need to be emerged in water, what it (they) dry out?
Do folks disassemble or leave it assembled between use?
Does the filter ever get moldy?
Does the weather variation every cause a problem with your filters?

thanks,
Babz

We have used ours for a year or more, just their black filter in the top compartment. We have one at each base camp. The newest one came with a white filter that screws onto the end of the black filter which I believe is for heavy metals and chlorine that we didn't install yet. My understanding is the United Nations has used the black filter for years and I was impressed with using red food coloring as a test to make sure seals were good. Our oldest one is starting to take a little longer to filter the last few ounces of water. We haven't done anything special with ours although it does get filled every couple of days and the lower container emptied every day. When we travel with it if we can't keep it upright we take the upper and lower compartments apart and dry them out to prevent spills. They both still produce clean,clear good tasting water.

bullfrog said:
 When we travel with it if we can't keep it upright we take the upper and lower compartments apart and dry them out to prevent spills.  They both still produce clean,clear good tasting water.

This is how I do it too. Seems to work fine.

Babz, you do need to soak new filters before first use, but after that first time, there's no need.

Ive never heard of mold being an issue, nor have I experienced it.

The top container always keeps an inch or so of water in it, so the filters will never dry out.

A sad fact of life.We Americans will buy anything that has a slick marketing campaign.Anybody looking for a used Pet Rock?