Been full time for about a year, hoping to get to the 2018 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samanthajday

Reaction score
Well the title pretty much tells you everything.

Hi, I'm Samantha, I'm a 43 yrs old British woman living here in the USA in a 36 foot fifth wheel.

I joined today because I'm considering going to the 2018 RTR and wanted to learn as much as I can before I arrive.

I'm currently in Illinois, but hoping to leave ASAP (Probably in the next 10 days), and heading down to Austin, TX for December.

So ... Hello ... 

Give me a shout if you are going to the RTR, especially the older single women travelers.

It would be great to know a few folks before I arrived.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Samantha! Hope you can make it to the RTR! There will be a special women's gathering after the RTR so if you can stay around for that you'll meet many single women travelers

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Samanthajday said:
Give me a shout if you are going to the RTR, especially the older single women travelers.

Hi Samantha , and welcome to the forum. I like your sense of humor, so which are you lying about? The 29 or the 43?  :)
Hope to see you on the road

RollingOm

Samanthajday said:
Well the title pretty much tells you everything.
So ... Hello ... 

I started full-timing at last year's RTR.  So, it's almost a year for me as well.  

FYI:  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a GREEN 6x12 cargo trailer, pulled by a turquoise (I bought it used) 2001 F150 .  
If you see me, say Hi.  I'm a big slob, so I'll be parked on the fringes.  OR... I'll put up a "Garage Sale" sign. 

Welcome to the looney bin....

Pat

RollingOm said:
Hi Samantha , and welcome to the forum. I like your sense of humor, so which are you lying about? The 29 or the 43?  :)
Hope to see you on the road

RollingOm

Thank you for the welcome.

Don’t ya know you should never ask a lady her real age  :D

(I’m really 43, but I assure you I’m very immature :p )

I’m always open to meeting new folk so I’m excited about the RTR, I feel I’ve learnt so much from Bobs videos and that this will be a great learning experience for me.

pnolans said:
I started full-timing at last year's RTR.  So, it's almost a year for me as well.  

FYI:  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a GREEN 6x12 cargo trailer, pulled by a turquoise (I bought it used) 2001 F150 .  
If you see me, say Hi.  I'm a big slob, so I'll be parked on the fringes.  OR... I'll put up a "Garage Sale" sign. 

Welcome to the looney bin....

Pat

Hi Pat, and thank you for the welcome.

I’ll keep an eye out for you and introduce myself. (I’m terrible with names but I’m good with visual clues so I’ll remember the rig)

No idea where I’ll be parked, probably near the noisy generator people as that’s how I’m currently getting my power and I don’t want to be irritating. (Well not from using my generator  :))

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Samantha! Hope you can make it to the RTR! There will be a special women's gathering after the RTR so if you can stay around for that you'll meet many single women travelers

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you! The women’s RTR is actually what got me to finally sign up to forum. 

Looking forward to it.

Hi and welcome. I'm an older solo female traveler. I'm 61 but young at heart (or is it that I just refuse to grow up - I never know :D) I'll be a neighbor in the noisy generator section (as of now not smart enough to figure out the solar thing. Maybe the RTR will change that). If you see a hail damaged Aliner that would be me. 

Safe journey to TX and AZ. I look forward to meeting you!

Hi Samantha,
Older female here, 51. I am also planning to go to the RTR. I'm currently in the Detroit area getting my van ready and doing boring things like scanning photos. As soon as I can get my act together, by the end of the month, hopefully, I'm headed to the southwest.
GypsyP

Dream True said:
Hi and welcome. I'm an older solo female traveler. I'm 61 but young at heart (or is it that I just refuse to grow up - I never know :D) I'll be a neighbor in the noisy generator section (as of now not smart enough to figure out the solar thing. Maybe the RTR will change that). If you see a hail damaged Aliner that would be me. 

Safe journey to TX and AZ. I look forward to meeting you!

I’ve met some amazing women on the road so far, and I’m very excited to see everyone at the RTR. I get the impression it’s a very safe environment at the RTR.

Look forward to seeing you (I’ll be the short English woman with Yorkies ::)

Gypsy Peripatetique said:
Hi Samantha,
Older female here, 51.  I am also planning to go to the RTR. I'm currently in the Detroit area getting my van ready and doing boring things like scanning photos.  As soon as I can get my act together, by the end of the month, hopefully, I'm headed to the southwest.
GypsyP

I envy the van dwellers, I ended up going bigger after year one (but I still have to work in my rig, and it just wasn’t feasible in 19 feet).

I have a fantasy of building out my own box van one day, but for right now I need more.

It’s getting blooming cold up north! I’m desperately trying to wrap up things here. I promised myself no more snow!

Hopefully I head out on Saturday!

Keep in touch, I’m looking forward to meeting you guys!

You will find a number of helpful people to explain the solar fundamentals and a great collection of single women to bounce off any pertinent related issues, have a great experience and welcome.

Hi Samantha,
At 75, I guess I qualify as an older female traveler. Hopefully will land at the RTR too. I am wandering from the far north east, about 6000 miles and thinking to meet up with another one or two RTR bound ladies along the way.
I have the impression, from this site, that there are more solo women out here, than men. Find that interesting, perhaps a sociological comment on our times.

Safe travels to you and see you there.
Jeannie,

Samanthajday said:
Hopefully I head out on Saturday!

Keep in touch, I’m looking forward to meeting you guys!

Let me know via PM if you will be within 100 miles or so of Detroit.  Happy to meet you on the way.

Safe travels!
GypsyP

Genie said:
Hi Samantha,
At 75, I guess I qualify as an older female traveler.  Hopefully will land at the RTR too. I am wandering from the far north east, about 6000 miles and thinking to meet up with another one or two RTR bound ladies along the way.
I have the impression, from this site, that there are more solo women out here, than men.  Find that interesting, perhaps a sociological comment on our times.

Safe travels to you and see you there.
Jeannie,

Same to you Genie.  If you will be within 100 miles of the Detroit area on your way south please feel free to PM me.  I should be around here for a couple of weeks yet...maybe...hopefully not.

GypsyP

Thanks Gypsy.
Will keep it in mind.
In order to miss most of the winter and still be within my legally allowed time in the USA, it is not likely that I will be able to cross the border again until December. Alas. By then, its probably better to head south towards Tenn. ducking as many snowflakes as I can. So this time, will miss Detroit.
But, see ya there in AZ.
Jeannie.

Genie, timing is everything!

I'm stuck in BC until the 19th of November waiting out my eligibility time for switching to BC Health because I had too much fun sightseeing last spring when I moved from Ontario...had a whale of a time but am now paying the price...sigh! I won't have to worry about my six months per year thing this year.. :rolleyes:

If you're coming from southwestern Ontario may I suggest crossing at Port Huron/Sarnia instead of Detroit. It's a much better crossing and puts you directly on to the interstate. I always took this route, then south from Lansing into Indiana and a straight shot through Louisville. Then south on 65 until you hit good weather or if the roads are clear hang a right onto 40 at Nashville to Memphis. Then, again depending on the weather either go southwest of just straight south.

Once you get to good weather then you can coast along and sightsee or do a mad dash across the continent...choice is yours....me I doddle every chance I get.... :D

I am so glad there will be a lot of newbies there, can't wait to get on the road. I'm lucky, only live in Vegas so it's not that far (AZ) for me! You can't miss me, I am not in a white van !!! :D And I have a blonde chi mix named Bella that is slightly neurotic!, but keeps me in line. Can't wait to meet you all!

Gypsy Peripatetique said:
Let me know via PM if you will be within 100 miles or so of Detroit.  Happy to meet you on the way.

Safe travels!
GypsyP

I'm in Northern Illinois, so not too close Detroit but its possible we may hit some of the same roads. 

I'll be heading to Dallas as early as Saturday but as late as next Friday (or beyond). My trip will take me to St Louis, Springfield Missouri then skimming past Tulsa Oklahoma as I head south to Dallas.

For my long haul trips (anything over 300 miles) I tend to drive for 4-6 hours and then 4 hrs at a rest stop (for a nap). I'm not sure my schedule works with anyone else. I just find 6 hours is kinda my maximum when it comes to driving, before I start to lose focus - plus the puppies need a break from being caged up.

I'll be staying at a campsite in the Dallas area for about a week or two and then traveling on to Austin, staying there until the first week in January (again at a camp site).

I haven't booked anything yet but I'm happy to share my details with you privately to see if our paths cross, even if we just get a bite to eat / share a glass of wine while you pause somewhere.

Sleep said:
I am so glad there will be a lot of newbies there, can't wait to get on the road. I'm lucky, only live in Vegas so it's not that far (AZ) for me! You can't miss me, I am not in a white van !!! :D And I have a blonde chi mix named Bella that is slightly neurotic!, but keeps me in line. Can't wait to meet you all!

Look forward to seeing you there!