Bedside toilet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been watching videos and reading blogs but I have failed at getting information.  And the subject is ...yep potty options.  I had back surgery 5 years ago now my balance is sometimes iffy at best.  The thought of balancing on a 5 gallon bucket gives me anxiety and dread.  

I have come to the point in my van build where have to decide on the length of my cabinets (kitchen). If I build a box for my toilet I loose valuable inches for counter.  

So the question is has anyone used a handicap bedside toilet?  It folds up and could be stored in between uses.  Has a little gallon size bucket for easy clean up.  I could also put it a shower tent outside the Van during longer stays.  But I wonder would it truly be an option of build a box that could store a bucket but give me stability??  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

We have twin beds on either side of our toilet so you don’t have enough room to fall over. Putting a 5 gallon bucket in a milk crate type water bottle transport crate raises it up as well as stabilizes it. Even a putting it inside a milk crate works but is a little lower which can cause problems with a bad back getting up. We now use a C-Head toilet which is super stable. Several people here use exactly what you are asking about but sometimes modify plastic chairs as the store bought ones take up a lot of space when in use.

Hmmm modified plastic chair. I don’t know why I did not think of that. That would be easy to make and a heck of a lot cheaper. Thank you

You can build your toilet on a slide out that fits in your kitchen cabinets. Or just get a portapot and when you build your cabinets have a cabinet under there that you can slide the portapot into. They aren’t very expensive and I think Walmart has them. I wouldn’t try a bucket if my balance sucked.

Funnily enough, when disabled by spine and leg problems and unable to guarantee that I could safely walk, I kept my portable tolet right next to my bed, along with toilet paper, Huggies baby wipes and Octenisan Wash Mitts (together with a small bowl, soap and a litre of water).

I preferred to use it only for solid waste and have a plastic bottle for pee.

These preemptive precautions have ensured that I've been able to use my bedside toilet facilities as needed and have retained personal hygiene and dignity.

The peace of mind alone makes it worthwhile and when you actually need to use it you'll appreciate the hygienic and dignified arrangements you've made.

Obviously, it feels a bit odd at first, but there are no downsides to it in my experience.