Be still, my beating heart (hope I'm not jinxing myself)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That van looks very nice, now the fun begins making it 'your own'. Congratulations, Rob

Now you can start your build log and your Captain's Log, and start counting down the days till launch date!

That's a really nice looking van, lots of possibilities ahead...now you can redo your signature.  ;)

FinallyFree said:
That's a really nice looking van, lots of possibilities ahead...now you can redo your signature.  ;)

Wow... I can't believe I didn't think of that... and I saw folks giving Bob crap about his signature just a couple of weeks ago! HA! I don't actually bring her home until tomorrow, so I'll wait until she's sitting in my drive!

Congrats. Just read through this whole thread and it got me excited. How long were you looking?

AbuelaLoca said:
So... speaking of seals and windows... This van is ALL windows... IF I find a leak around one of those, what should I do? I'm attaching the pic of the van again so you'll see what I mean by all windows.

Likely you won't have any leaks with those factory club-wagon windows.  The windows I was talking about are aftermarket, sliding RV windows that are installed in vans that otherwise don't have windows... my van has one on the driver's side over the couch, and two of them in the raised top.

like these:

new-rv-window.jpg

thehellend said:
Congrats. Just read through this whole thread and it got me excited. How long were you looking?

I was watching craigslist for cargo vans, conversion vans, and class b rvs since last fall, but I had to wait for my tax refund to actually buy a van. I've had the money for a couple of weeks...

hepcat said:
Likely you won't have any leaks with those factory club-wagon windows.  The windows I was talking about are aftermarket, sliding RV windows that are installed in vans that otherwise don't have windows...  my van has one on the driver's side over the couch, and two of them in the raised top.

like these:

new-rv-window.jpg

Right... picture didn't come through, but I know what you're talkin' about. I would love to have windows in the high top, but I think there's enough going around the van... they'll be a blessing and a curse, but I am slightly claustrophobic. Glad to know the factory windows will probably be fine!! Thanks!

AbuelaLoca said:
I was watching craigslist for cargo vans, conversion vans, and class b rvs since last fall, but I had to wait for my tax refund to actually buy a van. I've had the money for a couple of weeks...

Awesome. So happy for you!

Gorgeous van, congrats!!! At my current speed of making progress, you'll have outran me in a week or two.

Yes, definitely do a leak test. I am very glad I went through the hassle to gut my van, because I already found two tiny leaks, and also a wasp nest - it was only the queen (dead).

dr_nelson said:
Gorgeous van, congrats!!! At my current speed of making progress, you'll have outran me in a week or two.

Yes, definitely do a leak test. I am very glad I went through the hassle to gut my van, because I already found two tiny leaks, and also a wasp nest - it was only the queen (dead).

I have over a year to get it ready for the long road, so I'm not in any hurry! I may have shot myself in the foot having the van but not being able to fly the coop for awhile!  :p

By the time you get it converted you'll be ready to retire no matter if you can or if your ready! Just do it!

AbuelaLoca said:
I have over a year to get it ready for the long road, so I'm not in any hurry! I may have shot myself in the foot having the van but not being able to fly the coop for awhile!  :p

It makes the itch that much worse...and it will only get harder the closer you get to your departure date. Glad to hear you found what you wanted though and look forward to seeing pictures of your build

My 5W is sitting in my driveway torturing me. I've had to content myself with getting her ready...only a few more things to go and she'll be perfect.

Abuela, are you going to do your build yourself? You can do it, if I the "Crooked Carpenter" can do it, anyone can. You just have to think outside the box for a lot of things. You'll feel like a NASA engineer at times. "I got two incompatible materials I need to join together." "I need space between my Reflectix, what do I use?" (pvc rings.)

Having a year makes you antsy to get going, but also time for shake down trips, seeing what works and what doesn't, and if you have to totally re-engineer something. Use this year wisely.

I've enjoyed reading about your search for a van, your build thread will be another popular read. The year that you have will help make sure everything is done the way you want.

Rob

Congrats on the find! I look forward to watching your build-out thread once you've started. :)

waldenbound said:
Abuela, are you going to do your build yourself? You can do it, if I the "Crooked Carpenter" can do it, anyone can. You just have to think outside the box for a lot of things. You'll feel like a NASA engineer at times. "I got two incompatible materials I need to join together." "I need space between my Reflectix, what do I use?" (pvc rings.)

Having a year makes you antsy to get going, but also time for shake down trips, seeing what works and what doesn't, and if you have to totally re-engineer something. Use this year wisely.

Going to do the build myself as supervisor   :D  My daughter will be helping me "design" the layout, and she and her boyfriend (and any other able bodied soul I find) will be the brawn. I will do what I can, but most of the labor will be young folks!! I've already come up with three completely separate looks for the inside and will probably actually combine them into some wild and crazy look that only a mother could love!!