Be still, my beating heart (hope I'm not jinxing myself)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballenxj said:
About the top, I have never heard of a high top leaking, but I'm going to leave that to somebody here that actually knows about them.

I could kick myself about not triple checking the high top on my van. It had numerous holes from the PO attaching things which I had sealed; a window leaked, I had it removed and reinstalled. When I gutted the rough interior I noticed that some of the butyl tape was kind of dry but ignored it in my haste to get started on the interior.

I should have paid attention to it. I have a couple of leaks at the two front corners but they only leak if the van is on a certain angle and only in hard driving rain. Water comes in through the joint between the high top and the original van roof and then drips down through the screw holes on to the ceiling liner in both corners.

Because taking the entire roof off and replacing all the butyl tape would be way more than a very large PITA, I'm going to end up using a sealer on the outside that will do the job but isn't the optimum fix.

The gray butyl tape that most RV shops use only  has a ten year life expectancy... I knew that (hand smack against forehead ) and the van was 14 years old, but in my haste to get the interior started, I was a dumbass..what can I say!

Almost There said:
Because taking the entire roof off and replacing all the butyl tape would be way more than a very large PITA, I'm going to end up using a sealer on the outside that will do the job but isn't the optimum fix.

The gray butyl tape that most RV shops use only  has a ten year life expectancy... I knew that (hand smack against forehead ) and the van was 14 years old, but in my haste to get the interior started, I was a dumbass..what can I say!

Not planning to have the top removed  :huh:  Hmmm.... I don't even know where to go with that!! Going back a few posts... I think it was bullfrog, "One step at a time"... I'll wait to see if it leaks first LOL

It doesn't need to actually be 'removed'. If it's leaking around the base then the absolute best fix is to unscrew it, lift it up on 2 x4's, clean up the old butyl and install new tape. If you do decide to go this route then go to a marine outlet and get the good beige butyl tape rather than the gray stuff that the RV industry insists on using...it has twice the life expectancy.

Hopefully yours doesn't leak now nor in the future.

I just wish I had fixed mine then instead of now!

Congratulations, thats a great van!

SternWake
Obligatory song with 'Juanita' in the title

I thought it was going to be Barney Fife singing "Nita... Jua-a-a-nita".

Let me know ~~~ Starting to mount components in bLEEp's home tomorrow.

AbuelaLoca said:
So, my next question is about the high top... Is there something I need to do to reseal it? I will take it to the car wash to see if anything leaks (there's no evidence of any leaks inside), but regardless, the van is 24 years old and I'm afraid that's "rubber" that may need to be refreshed?? Any suggestions there would be appreciated!

It's always possible... but my van is 22 years old and is still sealed well.  Inspect it well, but I wouldn't get too excited about it unless you actually find a leak somewhere. If the top has RV sliding windows in it, make sure that the weep holes and slide tracks are clear and free of debris.  Most "leaks" from RV windows are actually from window tracks and weep holes that get filled with debris.  The track can't drain, so it fills up and overflows inside the RV causing water damage.  Clean the tracks and weep holes and presto-chango...  no more leak.

Woo hoo, hope it all works out well for you, very exciting!

Finally! Things always work out for those who are persistent in pursuing their goals.

Congratulations! Happy and safe travels!

hepcat said:
  Most "leaks" from RV windows are actually from window tracks and weep holes that get filled with debris.  The track can't drain, so it fills up and overflows inside the RV causing water damage.  Clean the tracks and weep holes and presto-chango...  no more leak.
Now "that's" a good tip!

Ballenxj said:
Now "that's" a good tip!

The best thing I've found to clean those tracks and weep holes is weed-wacker line, btw.

So... speaking of seals and windows... This van is ALL windows... IF I find a leak around one of those, what should I do? I'm attaching the pic of the van again so you'll see what I mean by all windows.

Attachments

• Juanita.jpg
    Juanita.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 13
the wam bam would be to clean under the rubber and add a sealer

the proper way,any competent auto glass shop can remove and replace the seals,could be done yourself but i wouldnt recomend it

Gary68 said:
the wam bam would be to clean under the rubber and add a sealer

the proper way,any competent auto glass shop can remove and replace the seals,could be done yourself but i wouldnt recomend it

I am pretty frugal, so I would definitely try cleaning and sealing first LOL...

dont use silicon,it's evil

the side window seals hold up pretty good and a car wash and hard windblown rain would be when they leak so most likely no problem