Be still, my beating heart (hope I'm not jinxing myself)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GotSmart said:
Let my know about wireing the house system.  There is a battery distributer in CoMo where you can save a bundle.

Funny you should say that... While checking out the vans, I mentioned solar and Adam said, "Uh... I can't help you there"... Duh! I have an electrician in my back pocket, no problemo!!

I start on bLEEp's system tomorrow.   :)

Pictures will be posted.  :cool:

Take a picture the second you pull into your driveway with your new van.

Best of luck!

speedhighway46 said:
Take a picture the second you pull into your driveway with your new van.

Best of luck!

Just kidding, but could not resist.

Attachments

• camel solar vn.jpg
    camel solar vn.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
Camels produc a lot of gas.  and spit...

are those solar panels on top of the camel van? you could expect 40 miles per bale of hay. plus unlimited fuel for your fire. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
are those solar panels on top of the camel van?  you could expect 40 miles per bale of hay.  plus unlimited fuel for your fire.  highdesertranger

How else are they going to have their GPS charged?  :D

highdesertranger said:
are those solar panels on top of the camel van?  you could expect 40 miles per bale of hay.  plus unlimited fuel for your fire.  highdesertranger

I love it when someone else can do the math!!  :D

The test drive/inspection went very well! It drives straight and good, no strange noises, fluids are all good, wiring is all good, brakes fine, tires are good even though they're old and will be replaced, shifts fine and timely, no leaks... I made my offer and they're going to get the paperwork ready tomorrow and I'll go Wednesday to pay and drive her home. Belts and ?? are good, but will probably be replaced anyway... also, something with the A/C unit will need to be replaced. And, I think the spark plugs will be replaced... mostly small things, but I'll want those done before I do anything else. The office lady that told me they had maintenance records was wrong; the "fleet manager" said they just took over management of the facility a few months ago and no maintenance records were kept before then. NOW they're keeping records LOL

I was really expecting the worst, so was pleasantly surprised things were as good as they were. So was my mechanic! LOL

So, my next question is about the high top... Is there something I need to do to reseal it? I will take it to the car wash to see if anything leaks (there's no evidence of any leaks inside), but regardless, the van is 24 years old and I'm afraid that's "rubber" that may need to be refreshed?? Any suggestions there would be appreciated!

You are on your way!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that' great I am so happy for you. as far as the top leaking take one step at a time, first test it to see if it leaks. highdesertranger

Okay, take a breath, drive it around a while, recheck fluids, make a list of everything that does not work. If your going to replace tires make sure to have the shop check for any worn parts, tell them you plan on taking long trips before you put on the tires. Make sure the front end is in good shape before you buy the tires and then after getting the tires have it immediately aligned. Once new tires start a wear pattern they wear quick. Make sure mechanicals are in good shape before buying a bunch of "goodies" you could have probably done without. Buy a ledger/log book and keep all receipts and enter mileage/date/description/who & where work was done ( if you do it yourself put DIY). Make tons of lists and do your build out like an airplane not a tank, think foam/screen/PMF for cabinets, 1/4" plywood over foam rather than 3/4" plywood. Good luck and happy building!

Hey, CONGRATS! And it's good you are base lining it with all the plugs, belts, hoses, and fluids. ;) 
About the top, I have never heard of a high top leaking, but I'm going to leave that to somebody here that actually knows about them.