Be still, my beating heart (hope I'm not jinxing myself)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
I've fallen in love! She's right down the street from me and at a price that I can well, well, well afford and I just have to share my excitement and ask that y'all send me positive thoughts and prayers and anything else you think might help me get her!! I've already named her "Juanita" and she's so cheap that I could afford an awesome solar setup right out of the gate!! Oh my goodness... She's a 1993 Ford Clubwagon with 73,493 miles and no evidence of leaking anything underneath. It was a wheelchair van, so the inside has already been pretty much gutted for me!! There is very little rust around the bottom of the barn doors, but not bad... her twin sits next to her (yes, there are two vans on the lot) and is also a 93 Clubwagon, but the rear quarter panels between the tires and the back bumper are all rusted away... But Juanita... well, she has a lot of oxidation on the hood and high top, but very little rust! There are definitely things that have to be fixed... the back door handle doesn't work and they literally have a metal latch keeping the doors together!! I can't test drive until Monday, so I really hope all my excitement isn't for naught, but I just couldn't contain any longer! ROFL

Attachments

• Juanita.jpg
    Juanita.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 52
It's going to be awfully hard for you to be objective when you test drive if you're already so emotionally committed to it that you've named it.

Anyway, Good Luck!

If you're really swooning over her, take Juanita to a GOOD mechanic and have him nit pick it front to rear.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It's going to be awfully hard for you to be objective when you test drive if you're already so emotionally committed to it that you've named it.

Anyway, Good Luck!

That's why I'm taking y'alls advice and having my mechanic with me!!  :D

waldenbound said:
If you're really swooning over her, take Juanita to a GOOD mechanic and have him nit pick it front to rear.

Yes, swooning is exactly what I'm doing!! My mechanic will be with me to check it all out and do the test drive to listen for noises and check for leaks, etc. We already know the tires are over 5 years old, so even though they have good tread, they will have to be replaced! I also forgot to mention that these vans were in the service of a non-profit organization that gets paid by DNR and they do have the maintenance records for them!!

good you are taking a mechanic. I am pulling for you, fingers crossed. good luck. highdesertranger

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.   If you have a Mechanic to look at it,  does he have a paint and body repair friend he can also invite along ?   This way you can get all the info you need at once.  

You may ask the Paint and body repair guy if it would be worth having the underside of the Van cleaned and then rust proofed.

There's a product that they are always advertising on AgDay (national Agriculture report)  that is used on farm implements and equipment.  It is sold direct from the factory to the customer.

Rust Guy's

http://rustguy.com/

I'm thinking about purchasing some of this for the rear fender wells, panels behind them, and area behind the rear bumper for my 90 E 350.

Wishing you luck, but if it;s meant to be, it will. Here's to fate.  :)

Let my know about wireing the house system.  There is a battery distributer in CoMo where you can save a bundle.

You could be right around the corner from starting your build!!!! Hoorayyyyy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eDJ_ said:
Rust Guy's

http://rustguy.com/

I'm thinking about purchasing some of this for the rear fender wells, panels behind them, and area behind the rear bumper for my 90 E 350.

This is very interesting! Why is this the first I'm hearing of it? (I think that's a line in a movie?!?) Hmmm... I will definitely give them a call when I get a van, this one or another... I have a niece and nephew in Georgia who are body experts (some of the cars they've completed have gone on to the Barrett-Jackson auction and done very well), so I will probably ask him about recommendations for rust control! At least this gives me hope that the undercarriage can last a good long time and that I can DIY it with the proper help!